shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay question re Escrow.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I am going to be listing my old engagement ring and stone on Ebay this week, and wanted to ask a question about Escrow.com. If I am sucessful selling it, and the person uses the escrow option, should I risk sending them the original GIA certificate along with the merchandise, or is it okay to send a copy until the inspection period is over? What is the norm? Am I just being paranoid?

Any experienced Ebayers out there?

Thanks much!
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just send the copy until the inspection is over. The copy serves the SAME information and keeping the real thing is just insurance on your end. I would explain that in the auction up front so that no one thinks its fishy later. Just say that the actual GIA cert will be mailed after the diamond is approved and sale finalized...the copy will act as the real thing for all intents and purposes, and if they get it appraised, the appraiser can use the copy. When we bought our stone from our jeweler, he only had a copy since it was a wholesale stone and he didn't have the real thing with him. We didn't get the real thing until about 30 days after we bought the stone but we had the copy.
2.gif

From an eBay perspective, as long as you are up front and clear about the terms...and don't *harp* on it too much (e.g. make them wonder why you'd do that...)..people tend to be fine with things.
2.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a quick response Mara! Very much appreciated. Now I just get to sweat this out...
10.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Be sure and post the auction thread here so we can all check it out!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
send a copy. I don't use escrow services; but, I believe some are sanctioned by ebay. Also, as mentioned, be very anal in your listing & terms. Make sure that shipping both back & forth is the buyer's responsibility.

Good luck! Do you have any feedback?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be sure and state it up front but be aware you might lose a sale over it.

If someone is using escrow the are likely going to be the type thats a little worried about buying online from a private party in the first place and asking them to release the funds before the sale is complete could be a deal killer.

I wouldnt be willing to buy under those terms the cert is part of the deal and makes the diamond worth more I would not release the escrow funds untill I had the cert in my hand.
Im paying extra for a certified diamond therefore expect to have it in my hand along with the diamond before I released the funds.
This would be the same buying from a b&m or online not just from a private party.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Good point, strmrdr. I guess if I'm a paranoid seller, I would probably be just as paranoid a buyer
15.gif
. I guess I can always request a copy from GIA if something does happen....although if something happens, I'll likely have other problems as well.
10.gif

Fire&Ice, I do have 84 positive (100%) feedbacks, but I would say about half don't have anything to do with jewelry, so I don't really know how this will work. I am basically testing the waters, as I have other high-end items that I wouldn't mind selling, since they have been sitting collecting dust for a few years at least. I just hated to go the newspaper route because of safety issues.

Pqc, oh, I'm way too shy to post the link. What if everyone just hates the post?
sad.gif
I guess if I get some bids, I might, or on the other hand, if nobody bids, I guess I could stand a bit of advice! I opted to go no reserve, so that is always a risky situation, as people get scared off by the high price. I just hate reserve auctions, though, cause I get my hopes up for a week, only to find out that the price was outrageously high.
10.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, seller beware, indeed! I just got an e-mail from a person that wanted to give me a credit card number to ship it overseas - and get this - at $2500 more than my asking price!

I wrote a nice polite note back, saying that I couldn't accept a credit card number (especially if stolen
Up_to_something.gif
), and wished him luck with a regular Vendor on Ebay that could accomodate his international shipping needs.

Wow, huh?
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results