shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog eBay Launches Authentication for Fine Jewelry

fel

Shiny_Rock
They include nothing. Just the date that the item was authenticated.

I for one won't be buying expensive jewelry items on eBay if that is correct. Unfortunately, I think you are right.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to update that in the past 2 months, I sold items on ebay over 600 and was not directed to ship to a third party. Shipped directly to the buyer. Go figure.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to update that in the past 2 months, I sold items on ebay over 600 and was not directed to ship to a third party. Shipped directly to the buyer. Go figure.

I bought something for $1000+ and it wasn’t authenticated. In January, the pinkish brown oec ring.

Reactions: Kya

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Can you get them to authenticate something that's not showing that in the listing. I'm looking at a $2500 gemstone ring, but would want it authenticated.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
There is apparently so rhyme or reason to this. Like some $35k bracelets are not guaranteed authentic. Can sellers opt out?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is apparently so rhyme or reason to this. Like some $35k bracelets are not guaranteed authentic. Can sellers opt out?

No way I can see. It’s a real $hitshow. When we ship, the insurance coverage extends till the recipient signs for it. Who’s responsible in these cases?
And of course the seller isn’t paid till verification takes place.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So...update......
As much as I detest eBay, the people working there ( if you get lucky) are very willing to assist.
I found out that there are certain aspects the seller can change to either include or exclude the item from authentication.
I still don't know exactly how to do it- here's the guide
Pertinent section:

Which jewelry items are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee?

Authenticity Guarantee is available for select unbranded and branded jewelry, in new or preowned condition, and sold for $500 USD or more. Auction items are also included in the service if the eligible item sells above $500.

All jewelry categories have eligible items except for Loose Beads, Loose Diamonds & Gemstones, Jewelry Care, Design & Repair, Jewelry Mixed Lots, Watches, Parts & Accessories.

Eligible brands are Cartier, Chanel, Chopard, David Yurman, Hearts On Fire, John Hardy, Judith Ripka, Le Vian, Pomellato, Roberto Coin, Tacori, Tiffany & Co., and Van Cleef & Arpels.

To be eligible for Authenticity Guarantee, unbranded and branded jewelry must also meet the following criteria:

• Metal purity: Items must be one of the following metal types and purity: Sterling silver (925+), gold (9K+), palladium (500+), platinum (850+). For plated metal, the base metal composition must be as listed above.
  • Gemstone type: Gemstones are not required. However, for items with a main gemstone(s), the gemstone must be one of the following: alexandrite, aquamarine, cat’s-eye chrysoberyl, cryptocrystalline quartz, diamond, emerald, garnet, moissanite, morganite, peridot, ruby, sapphire, shell, spinel, tanzanite, topaz, and tourmaline. Secondary gemstone(s) can be any gemstone species except for amber, jade, opal, quartz, and turquoise.
Only select items purchased on eBay.com are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee. Items that are listed on eBay.com from eligible sellers located in the United States to a buyer located in the United States are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee.

Items shipping to addresses outside of the United States are not eligible. Unincorporated territories (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and armed forces postal locations are not currently covered.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AND- I also got confirmation via a non-denial that it won't be long before eBay starts charging for this "service"

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Rockdiamond so wasn’t the $55k bracelet eligible? Because they didn’t list the platinum purity?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Rockdiamond so wasn’t the $55k bracelet eligible? Because they didn’t list the platinum purity?

We're doing the detective work to find out which stat affects this...I'll let you guys know when we figure it out.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
BINGO!!!
On the places where metal content is inputted- if you use the drop down, the item goes to authentication. If you use your own words, it doesn't.
I think.......
drop down.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a fine theory.
with handbags and watches it’s relatively easy to identify genuine from replica / fake so checking authenticity is possible.
jewellery and gems are a whole different thing.
Are they going to metal test to ensure assay marks are correct?
How can they authenticate gemstone carat weight whilst set?
How can they identify conclusively any / all treatments ? Keep in mind how much it costs to get a report from GIA for a gemstone.
Is a GIA person going to verify a diamonds colour and clarity, whilst set in jewellery?
A diamond cluster ring with 20 wee diamonds, so someone is going to check each and every one of them for colour, clarity and carat weight?
Or is to check they are diamonds and not CZ?
I think ebay needs to restrict their authentication service to simply identifying genuine branded items ie Tiffany or Cartier etc and stay away from the intricacies of the gemstones as specific testing and examination will be required.
and who will be paying for It?

Kya

Shiny_Rock
I purchased something! I just had to, to test this out ;-)
It took 5 days for the item to be authenticated at what they called ‘the hub’.
The item arrived with a card that contained a QR code.
The QR code took me to the sellers listing photo and below stated the barebone basic info that was on the listing-

14 k gold, tcw of earrings, diamond color, and clarity grading
HOWEVER- there is a disclaimer! There seems to be a ‘tolerable range’ . Upon reading, the range is not very tolerable to me and greatly devalues the authenticity guarantee.

Here is the link to the information regarding the ‘tolerable ranges’

I guess this is how they are able to grade without unmounting the stones etc??

Ultimately, as @Bron357 mentioned, my only benefit is that they verified that these are diamonds and not cz….?

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think ebay needs to restrict their authentication service to simply identifying genuine branded items ie Tiffany or Cartier etc and stay away from the intricacies of the gemstones as specific testing and examination will be required.
I don't think they do that AT ALL, even with some sort of tolerance level. Some are easy enough to tell but in some cases it's wickedly difficult. GIA doesn't teach so much as a single class in this and their lab doesn't offer this service or anything like it. Intricacies of gemstones is all they do.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is irritating: I just bought a ring on ebay (which I needed like a hole in the head, but that's beside the point). It was listed as an art deco sapphire and diamond platinum handmade filigree ring, and it was listed for $500, making it eligible for the guarantee. It's also described as being in "unattached original condition," whatever that means. The sapphires (including two 7mm stones and several french-cut accents) are listed as synthetic (misspelled), and the single-cut diamond melee are listed as natural. I didn't notice that the ring was in the authenticity guarantee program until I got a notification from ebay that it was being shipped to GIA to be authenticated and is expected to arrive at my place during a window two weeks from now, signature required. That's the exact period when many people will be traveling for Thanksgiving.

It's obvious to me from looking at the photos that if I receive the actual ring pictured, it will be an authentic deco platinum ring with natural single-cut diamonds. Nobody is cutting tiny lab single cuts and sticking them in clearly genuine antique settings. If I don't receive the ring pictured in the photos, I expect ebay to honor a return as usual. I don't need an extra authentication guarantee to tell me the main stones are synthetic sapphires. They're basically worthless; I bought the ring for the setting and will likely replace them. I seriously doubt they're original to the ring, if that's what "unattached original condition" is supposed to mean, but the guarantee is unlikely to address that issue--and if it does, will the authenticators decide to cancel the sale because they're replacements of whatever stones were originally there? That would be super annoying. Even more annoying than having the package arrive while I'm visiting with family and unable to sign for it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely loathe this service. I have had things fail inspection because the ring was rhodium plated and the inspector “couldn’t tell if it was white or yellow gold” , because the “the gold tester 12k not 14” and “they listed the main stone as sapphire & diamond, but the main stone is a sapphire “ on a sapphire and diamond halo ring.
They don’t even ask you if you still want it, they just send it back. They also don’t tell you why- you have to call and ask. Buying things on eBay as a buyer as well I may buy a ring listed incorrectly as a topaz and I know it’s a zircon- if it’s for a guarantee on it I can’t buy it, because they’ll return it for being mischaracterized. It’s absolutely a trash service and it hurts only small sellers. As shown above, scammers know how to list their items to avoid the authentication process.
I’ve ordered a brooch that I am very worried won’t pass inspection because the seller had the audacity to put the tcw of the stones from the appraisal. God forbid the inspector thinks the tcw is off by a little. As if that’s the point of buying an antique brooch.” Oh nooooooo, the tcw is off by .7!!!”

One ring they had actually offered to let me decide to still keep it or not. The 14k ring they “didn’t know if was yellow or white.”
How did that go? Well, after 2 weeks at the authenticator I emailed like “wtf” and they said “well it didn’t exactly pass and we didn’t know if you still wanted it” and I was like well nobody told me this ! “We sent you a message” so I asked them to tell me which message on what day, and they could not. So, had I not bothered to ask they would have sent it back to the seller

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely loathe this service. I have had things fail inspection because the ring was rhodium plated and the inspector “couldn’t tell if it was white or yellow gold” , because the “the gold tester 12k not 14” and “they listed the main stone as sapphire & diamond, but the main stone is a sapphire “ on a sapphire and diamond halo ring.
They don’t even ask you if you still want it, they just send it back. They also don’t tell you why- you have to call and ask. Buying things on eBay as a buyer as well I may buy a ring listed incorrectly as a topaz and I know it’s a zircon- if it’s for a guarantee on it I can’t buy it, because they’ll return it for being mischaracterized. It’s absolutely a trash service and it hurts only small sellers. As shown above, scammers know how to list their items to avoid the authentication process.
I’ve ordered a brooch that I am very worried won’t pass inspection because the seller had the audacity to put the tcw of the stones from the appraisal. God forbid the inspector thinks the tcw is off by a little. As if that’s the point of buying an antique brooch.” Oh nooooooo, the tcw is off by .7!!!”

One ring they had actually offered to let me decide to still keep it or not. The 14k ring they “didn’t know if was yellow or white.”
How did that go? Well, after 2 weeks at the authenticator I emailed like “wtf” and they said “well it didn’t exactly pass and we didn’t know if you still wanted it” and I was like well nobody told me this ! “We sent you a message” so I asked them to tell me which message on what day, and they could not. So, had I not bothered to ask they would have sent it back to the seller

OH HOW ANNOYING!

Yeah, my best ebay buys have been mislisted. In that case, I guess the authentication protects the seller, so it's probably churlish of buyers to complain, but it takes the fun out of ebay. And often the listing mistake isn't a big deal to either seller or buyer (e.g., if I bought a ring for the setting and the seller made a mistake about the center stone, which I was going to replace anyway).

The business where they send the piece back because someone failed to write the exact right thing on the exact right line in the form is maddening!

I still don't exactly understand who decides whether a listing will be authenticated or not. Can sellers opt in or opt out? Or is it totally up to ebay?

I wish I'd asked the seller for a 5 cent discount so this ring wouldn't have fallen under this annoying program!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We had a buyer request this service today. I’m considering rejecting the sale….
But I don’t want to risk a negative feedback

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
We had a buyer request this service today. I’m considering rejecting the sale….
But I don’t want to risk a negative feedback

Wait, so as a seller, you can choose whether or not to use this service?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we can choose if we want to accept the order. There a way to list things so they’re not automatically sent to the autorizer

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. What a disaster

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So…. Someone purchased a pendant from us on eBay and requested the authentication service.
I communicated with the buyer, and told them the stories from this thread. We both agreed to cancel the sale and start again. Yipee

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Just to chime in with my recent experience. I've purchased a few items lately that were in the Authentication program. Posting a screen shot of the results from one of the rings below. Talk about utterly useless feedback. At least they confirmed it tested as 18k? But I would have appreciated any acknowledgement of the ring even having diamonds. Or if the sapphires are natural or lab. But I guess that's not within their purview?

Screenshot_20231111_133537_eBay.jpg

I purchased another ring recently that I plan to remove the stone for grading. It will be an interesting exercise to see how it ultimately compares to what the Authentication said, which only repeated the seller's statements. And this ring was branded, but the authentication said nothing of it, because the listing said nothing of it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to chime in with my recent experience. I've purchased a few items lately that were in the Authentication program. Posting a screen shot of the results from one of the rings below. Talk about utterly useless feedback. At least they confirmed it tested as 18k? But I would have appreciated any acknowledgement of the ring even having diamonds. Or if the sapphires are natural or lab. But I guess that's not within their purview?

Screenshot_20231111_133537_eBay.jpg

I purchased another ring recently that I plan to remove the stone for grading. It will be an interesting exercise to see how it ultimately compares to what the Authentication said, which only repeated the seller's statements. And this ring was branded, but the authentication said nothing of it, because the listing said nothing of it.
If they claim a sapphire is natural and they can’t confirm that it’ll fail- but if they say sapphire and don’t specify what it it it won’t.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
If they claim a sapphire is natural and they can’t confirm that it’ll fail- but if they say sapphire and don’t specify what it it it won’t.

Which leads me back to the premise that this is a lot of wasted time and money for absolutely nothing. Only GIA is benefitting at this point.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
OH this is SO IRRITATING!

I just got a phone call from ebay about the authentication of the synthetic sapphire ring in an antique platinum and diamond setting I bought a few weeks ago. Lucky thing I answered the call despite it being from an unknown number--I usually don't.

The ebay rep told me there was a discrepancy: The ring was listed as 950 platinum, but it tested as only 900 platinum. What did I want to do? Did I want to cancel the sale?

I said no, I did NOT want to cancel the sale. 900 platinum is even better than 950, because that's what they typically used in the deco period. It's another indication that the ring is authentically old, which is what I care about--and which they didn't bother to authenticate, of course.

Okay, she said. The ring would be sent out today and would arrive on Wednesday or Friday.

I said on Wednesday I would be traveling to another state for Thanksgiving, and I would still be away on Friday and Saturday. [For anyone reading this and now planning to burgle me, don't bother. My valuables will be in the bank, and a friend will be housesitting with her German shepherd mix.]

I requested that they send the ring via USPS (rather than another service like UPS or FedEx), so I can go get it at the post office when they fail to deliver it to me because I'm not home. If they send it by some other service, such as UPS or FedEx, the service will try to redeliver during the holiday weekend when I'm not home, and after that they will return the package to GIA. (My house-sitter can't be expected to sit around the apartment waiting for my ring to arrive.)

The ebay lady told me GIA sends packages by whatever service is "most convenient at the time" and they are too busy right now to pay attention to my request for a particular service.

I asked in that case could they please not send it until after Thanksgiving. She said she would request that they hold the package until next Monday, but she was not sure whether they would honor that request.

I expressed my frustration. I won't get this ring for over a MONTH after buying it because of this stupid, unnecessary verification that I did not request and did not want.

She said she would pass my feedback along to ebay.

In future, I'm just going to avoid buying anything that goes through the verification process. What a frustrating waste of time!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH this is SO IRRITATING!

I just got a phone call from ebay about the authentication of the synthetic sapphire ring in an antique platinum and diamond setting I bought a few weeks ago. Lucky thing I answered the call despite it being from an unknown number--I usually don't.

The ebay rep told me there was a discrepancy: The ring was listed as 950 platinum, but it tested as only 900 platinum. What did I want to do? Did I want to cancel the sale?

I said no, I did NOT want to cancel the sale. 900 platinum is even better than 950, because that's what they typically used in the deco period. It's another indication that the ring is authentically old, which is what I care about--and which they didn't bother to authenticate, of course.

Okay, she said. The ring would be sent out today and would arrive on Wednesday or Friday.

I said on Wednesday I would be traveling to another state for Thanksgiving, and I would still be away on Friday and Saturday. [For anyone reading this and now planning to burgle me, don't bother. My valuables will be in the bank, and a friend will be housesitting with her German shepherd mix.]

I requested that they send the ring via USPS (rather than another service like UPS or FedEx), so I can go get it at the post office when they fail to deliver it to me because I'm not home. If they send it by some other service, such as UPS or FedEx, the service will try to redeliver during the holiday weekend when I'm not home, and after that they will return the package to GIA. (My house-sitter can't be expected to sit around the apartment waiting for my ring to arrive.)

The ebay lady told me GIA sends packages by whatever service is "most convenient at the time" and they are too busy right now to pay attention to my request for a particular service.

I asked in that case could they please not send it until after Thanksgiving. She said she would request that they hold the package until next Monday, but she was not sure whether they would honor that request.

I expressed my frustration. I won't get this ring for over a MONTH after buying it because of this stupid, unnecessary verification that I did not request and did not want.

She said she would pass my feedback along to ebay.

In future, I'm just going to avoid buying anything that goes through the verification process. What a frustrating waste of time!

Ugh I'm so sorry. What an epic waste of time for everyone!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results