shape
carat
color
clarity

EBAY help

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never used ebay before but for some reason went on there for a peek tonight. And found something I want. It is a designer ring, I have tried a version on in person and love it, and strangely it is being offered by a local jeweler whom I have actually visited numerous times! Trustworthy seller, 14 day refund period, no shipping because I can drive to the store.

There are no offers on the item. How do I know if there is a reserve on the item? If I make an offer and it is the only offer, but too low for them, do they negotiate with you or is that the end of the story and no more communication? Should I just go in person to their B&M store and negotiate? Should I make a lower offer and then if it is rejected just try again or go in person? Any tips?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a "Reserve Not Met" statement next to the current highest bid. I don't know if it is there if there isn't a bid yet. Is there a "starting price"?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Ah hah! So YOU'RE bidding on Lobby. Figures.

With Ebay, if you make a bid you are bound by the value so long as the seller has no reserve. If the item is being sold at no reserve, at the end of the bidding process the highest bidder would get the item regardless.

Once a reserve is in place, even if you are the 'winning' bidder, the seller has no obligation to sell to you unless your bid is above the 'reserve price'. I haven't bid in a while, but in the past after I post a bid there would be a little red line of text that would say that the reserve was not yet met.

Whether they make a counter offer or not depends on how realisitc they feel it is. Or perhaps how hard up the seller is. Some people offer $100 for 5 figure rings (no names... shhhh) and they Still get a response from the seller. I guess if it were a serious offer and close to the inherent value the seller May choose to contact you with a counter offer - or to accept your offer outright.

Please treat Lobby well

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very often you can contact them and ask the reserve price and they will tell you. If it says it has a reserve, that is. That way you can determine whether you want to pursue it or not. I prefer buying from an established jeweler rather than an individual most of the time because I think it is safer especially for more expensive items. And the return policy is very important.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'm an avid ebayer but in this case I'd call them and inquire. It saves them fees if they sell to you in-store and you can go see it in person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1311909659|2979497 said:
I think there is a "Reserve Not Met" statement next to the current highest bid. I don't know if it is there if there isn't a bid yet. Is there a "starting price"?

There is no starting price listed. How do I know if there is a reserve?? Where would that be written?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1311909753|2979499 said:
Ah hah! So YOU'RE bidding on Lobby. Figures.

With Ebay, if you make a bid you are bound by the value so long as the seller has no reserve. If the item is being sold at no reserve, at the end of the bidding process the highest bidder would get the item regardless.

Once a reserve is in place, even if you are the 'winning' bidder, the seller has no obligation to sell to you unless your bid is above the 'reserve price'. I haven't bid in a while, but in the past after I post a bid there would be a little red line of text that would say that the reserve was not yet met.

Whether they make a counter offer or not depends on how realisitc they feel it is. Or perhaps how hard up the seller is. Some people offer $100 for 5 figure rings (no names... shhhh) and they Still get a response from the seller. I guess if it were a serious offer and close to the inherent value the seller May choose to contact you with a counter offer - or to accept your offer outright.

Please treat Lobby well

Thanks Tristan. Do you mean "Lopsy'? ;)) Good old Lopsy Fugs. Have you been reading old threads or were you here for the original?

OK, so it is being sold as "Buy it Now or Make a Bid". No bids on it at all. And I don't know where to see if there is a reserve?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1311910907|2979509 said:
I'm an avid ebayer but in this case I'd call them and inquire. It saves them fees if they sell to you in-store and you can go see it in person.

Oooh good idea. And they pay shipping normally, so they would not need to do it in this case either. Do you know what the fees are? It would give me an idea of what I might be able to negotiate.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the buy it now price? What is the minimum starting bid for the other option?

The only problem with negotiating with them is that you may be able to get it for much less by bidding if the minimum is low and there is no reserve. I know you can't post it, but we could help you more if we could see!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311911913|2979518 said:
What is the buy it now price? What is the minimum starting bid for the other option?

The only problem with negotiating with them is that you may be able to get it for much less by bidding if the minimum is low and there is no reserve. I know you can't post it, but we could help you more if we could see!

I really don't want a poacher to get it :blackeye:

It is listed as "Buy it now or best offer". There buy it now price is around $1500. There is no indication of a reserve. So I guess it is not technically an auction? When you click on it, you have two options: To pay the buy it now price or to make an offer. Here is what ebay says about the make an offer option: "Some sellers will also allow you to submit a 'Best Offer' for an item. Here you can make an offer to buy the item at a price that you suggest. The seller can then accept, decline or counteroffer the Best Offer you sent. Look for the 'Submit a Best Offer' link in the listing." So seems like it may not be cheaper to go via ebay in this case?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think that if there is a 'buy it now' then there isn't usually a "price" given so there wouldn't be a reserve. I know you don't want to show the item but can you identify another auction where you see the buy it now and it looks the same so we can assess whether there is a reserve?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1311913510|2979529 said:
Here is what ebay says about the make an offer option: "Some sellers will also allow you to submit a 'Best Offer' for an item. Here you can make an offer to buy the item at a price that you suggest. The seller can then accept, decline or counteroffer the Best Offer you sent. Look for the 'Submit a Best Offer' link in the listing." So seems like it may not be cheaper to go via ebay in this case?

I don't think it is truly an auction at all.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1311915877|2979557 said:

I'm not an ebay expert by any means, but I've bought a few things and when there is a reserve it doesn't look like this; there is a box to insert your bid. My sense is that there isn't a reserve here. You either pay the Buy it Now at the price specified ($325 in the link you had), or you make an offer. For the latter, they may have a price at which they won't sell it to you but it's not a "reserve price" as there is with other auctions.

I do find it interesting there is an engagement ring for $325!!!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1311911406|2979513 said:

Oooh good idea. And they pay shipping normally, so they would not need to do it in this case either. Do you know what the fees are? It would give me an idea of what I might be able to negotiate.

Ok, I did the fee calculator and it shows that seller fees would be $91 for an item "buy it now" priced at $1500 plus if you paid paypal they'd have paypal fees also so I'd say it'd save at least $100 plus it's a simple transaction for you to go pick it up, they won't have to ship it.

Good luck!! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1311916284|2979560 said:
Dreamer_D|1311915877|2979557 said:

I'm not an ebay expert by any means, but I've bought a few things and when there is a reserve it doesn't look like this; there is a box to insert your bid. My sense is that there isn't a reserve here. You either pay the Buy it Now at the price specified ($325 in the link you had), or you make an offer. For the latter, they may have a price at which they won't sell it to you but it's not a "reserve price" as there is with other auctions.

I do find it interesting there is an engagement ring for $325!!!

I think your assessment is correct!

So my only question is whethe to make the offer through ebay or to go to the store. If I go to the store it feels like tipping my hand a little for some reason. But I could perhaps get a lower price by saving them shipping and whatever fees they pay ebay. Their ebay store also says they will pay taxes for ordes shipped locally, and so that would be additional saving on ebay that may or may not be offered in person...

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
since they have the offer option that means they are willing to sell it lower than $1500, you should send seller a question telling him you can buy locally so he doesn't have to pay for the ebay fee and ask what's the lowest price he will take for it in cash. Last time I saw a pair of boots I want on ebay listed for $70 with offer option, I e-mailed the seller and she told me she can sell to me lowest for $30 including shipping (alot lower than I thought and also lower than I would offered :bigsmile: )

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think they will be motivated by saving the fees, but you may be motivated more by the taxes. On the latter, I don't know how it works; taxes on internet purchases vary state to state here in the US. It could be that they don't collect any taxes at all...is that what ebay says?

If you don't have to pay taxes, you could call them and say "hey, i'll buy directly can i get a small discount since i'm saving you money on fees." that is what i would do.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1311916979|2979565 said:
Dreamer_D|1311911406|2979513 said:

Ok, I did the fee calculator and it shows that seller fees would be $91 for an item "buy it now" priced at $1500 plus if you paid paypal they'd have paypal fees also so I'd say it'd save at least $100 plus it's a simple transaction for you to go pick it up, they won't have to ship it.

Good luck!! :appl:

OK, great information for me. Shipping would also be high.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK, definitely make an offer. I'd try at least 30%- that's not so much off that it's insulting but low enough that they'll probably counter a bit higher- you WANT that, that tells you they've given you the most off they could. I wouldn't just ask what their "best price" is- in my experience (and I call antique dealers with offers literally ALL DAY LONG at work!) lots of dealers will take a "best price" query as less serious and play more games with that type of request.

Also, ask them if they'll discount more if you work through their store rather than the ebay auction, and tell them you're familiar with their B&M store. Ebay fees are high and they might be able to discount more if you buy in person. If you live in the same state as the seller, you're liable for taxes. Actually you *always* are liable for taxes- you're just supposed to pay your own state's tax rate if you're buying out of state but many, many ebayers both don't know this and/or don't follow the rules.

But yeah, ebay fees are high and I'd ask what they'd do through their store for sure.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1311917310|2979572 said:
since they have the offer option that means they are willing to sell it lower than $1500, you should send seller a question telling him you can buy locally so he doesn't have to pay for the ebay fee and ask what's the lowest price he will take for it in cash. Last time I saw a pair of boots I want on ebay listed for $70 with offer option, I e-mailed the seller and she told me she can sell to me lowest for $30 including shipping (alot lower than I thought and also lower than I would offered :bigsmile: )

It's against eBay policy to do this, if she sends a message to the seller via eBay there could be consequences so I'd caution against it. However, she can call the store directly and make an offer and I'd agree with LGK, offer a % off, it's usually more favorable.
I'd act quick though, if someone else places an accepted bid it changes things...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1311920048|2979591 said:
OK, definitely make an offer. I'd try at least 30%- that's not so much off that it's insulting but low enough that they'll probably counter a bit higher- you WANT that, that tells you they've given you the most off they could. I wouldn't just ask what their "best price" is- in my experience (and I call antique dealers with offers literally ALL DAY LONG at work!) lots of dealers will take a "best price" query as less serious and play more games with that type of request.

Also, ask them if they'll discount more if you work through their store rather than the ebay auction, and tell them you're familiar with their B&M store. Ebay fees are high and they might be able to discount more if you buy in person. If you live in the same state as the seller, you're liable for taxes. Actually you *always* are liable for taxes- you're just supposed to pay your own state's tax rate if you're buying out of state but many, many ebayers both don't know this and/or don't follow the rules.

But yeah, ebay fees are high and I'd ask what they'd do through their store for sure.

Good advice!

Regarding taxes, the seller has a statement on their items saying "We will pay the taxes for all sales in Canada", so that actually saves me over 10% compared to buying elsewhere. I assume they will pay the gov't the taxes on the item from the money they take in from the buyer.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1311921339|2979599 said:

It's against eBay policy to do this, if she sends a message to the seller via eBay there could be consequences so I'd caution against it. However, she can call the store directly and make an offer and I'd agree with LGK, offer a % off, it's usually more favorable.
I'd act quick though, if someone else places an accepted bid it changes things...

That is what I was wondering, maplefemme. I will call them this morning. As soon as I get my newborn down for his nap! :bigsmile:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1311955537|2979790 said:
maplefemme|1311921339|2979599 said:

That is what I was wondering, maplefemme. I will call them this morning. As soon as I get my newborn down for his nap! :bigsmile:

*Fingers crossed*! :razz:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I went to the jeweler and asked to see the item. They looked at me like I was crazy! Turns out there are a couple establishments with similar names in town. One is a high end jeweler in a fancy part of town. That is the one I thought was offering this item. The other is a rather typical pawn shop! That is the one offering the item for sale. I got a good chuckle when pulling into the pawn shop's parking lot at the ire that must have been felt by the high end jeweler at being mistaken for the pawn shop :lol:

Anyways, the person who runs the ebay store was not at the B&M location. They could not show me the ring because apparently the person who runs the ebay auctions is autonomous and the more expensive items, including the ring I like, are kept separate from the rest of the pawn shop... crap. I would probably have the same policy myself if I ran a pawn shop ;)) Anyways, I was told to contact the seller by ebay by the B&M employees, so that is what I did.

A couple issues. One is that I asked if I could see the item in person before finalizing the transaction, if we went in that direction. Then I saw a copy of my message and noticed the policy about transactions off ebay and worry that I might have implied somethng verboten.

Another issue is that the item I like is presently "on sale", with a supposed percentage off being offered, and the "sale" ends in one day. I am not sure whether that means I should make my offer before the sale ends, possibly before the seller gets back with answers to my questions?? If I don't hear back, should I go ahead with my offer? I guess my questions are not deal breakers given the no questions asked refund policy, but I am still nervous about the whole ebay thing.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Haha - what a funny story about the two stores! My first thought about the sale is that it could be a marketing technique. I swear some stores always have a "sale." There are things I've been eye-ing for a while and they've been on sale since I started watching them!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1311987048|2980210 said:
Haha - what a funny story about the two stores! My first thought about the sale is that it could be a marketing technique. I swear some stores always have a "sale." There are things I've been eye-ing for a while and they've been on sale since I started watching them!

I agree about the "sale". Thing is, the "sale" ends in one day but the listing does not end for another week or so. I presume that means that if I make an offer, the seller cannot accept it until the listing ends?? But the "sale" would then be over...ETA: if I make an offer and it is accepted, the listed ends. I would not have to wait.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
If you wait and it doesn't sell just before the end of the auction...then you may be able to make an offer at the "sale" price? But then you risk someone else getting it, huh?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Just a warning regarding ebay. If you purchase off ebay and there is a problem with the transaction, you will forfeit any of their buyer protection, such as it is.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1311987123|2980212 said:
centralsquare|1311987048|2980210 said:

I agree about the "sale". Thing is, the "sale" ends in one day but the listing does not end for another week or so. I presume that means that if I make an offer, the seller cannot accept it until the listing ends?? But the "sale" would then be over...ETA: if I make an offer and it is accepted, the listed ends. I would not have to wait.

seller can accept the offer at any time. if you wait for it end they have to relist the item for you. so make the offer now =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results