shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay help, I''ve been offered 2nd chance, but need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

well, I did it. I finally bid on a diamond ring from ebay, and it is the zales pear halo that i have been lusting after for about a year or so.
I will try to keep this story short.
Here is the link to the listing....
Well I was the 2nd highest bidder, and as I was bidding I kinda didn''t feel right about it bc every other bidder was listed as "bidder 1" or "bidder 3" etc. I was the only bidder with an actual name. First little ? in my head.

Anyway, I got the email to be offered a 2nd chance I think less than 24 hours after it ended, which makes me think the "winner" was either the seller or someone he/she knew.

so I asked if I could have today to answer and what also asked about the return policy and this was the reply I got this morning...

I have begun this offer because the winner of my auction withdrew his bidding and was rejected due to security reasons. There are a lot of bidders who bid on the auctions for fun and I hope you are serious and we can make a clear deal.
In order to make the transaction legit so we can be able to exchange feedback once
completed i have to get in touch with eBay SCO Department. I need to provide them the following details:

* your complete name
* your complete shipping address
* a phone # where you can be reached by the shipping agent

I''m located overseas for the moment, in United Kingdom because my little sister is getting married and i couldn''t miss this once in a life time moment. She found her true love over here in England. I have to stay here for at least two weeks.
Must inform you that I have the item in the custody of the shipping company in the US, who helps me every time to ship the goods to the buyers addresses. A 100% serious company and i have a contract with them. Regarding the shipping insurance,who protects my items from any damages on the way to the buyer, i can inform you that it''s already paid. Shipping in US and Canada is covered by me so don''t have to be worried to pay extra charges for delivery.So the total and final price you need to pay is US $670.00.
Once you provide me the requested details (full name, address and phone #) i will
contact the eBay SCO Department and they will do the rest. They will send you the
rest of the instructions and info regarding this SCO process. You need to follow the instructions exactly so we can be both protected by their Purchase Protection and Refund program. Positive feedback is assured once everything is fixed up.

Thank You and along with the requested details email me with any other questions you may have!!

All the best,

Adam & Clark, Inc.
Structural Engineer
Department Of Construction Consulting

Anyone care to offer me any advice.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can be given a second chance offer through ebay WITHOUT providing that information.
do not give her your personal information. you might also want to forward that email to ebays fraud department.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''ve won a few second-chance offers and never had to provide any other info, it just is processed like a win through ebay and paypal. To be safe I would forward the message you recieved to [email protected], they will let you know if it''s legit, usually within a few hours. I would be wary.

bfready

Rough_Rock
Ebay has implemented a new security feature that hides bidders IDs to others. I think it's on a test basis so it only applies to some items. That's why the other bidders were "Bidder 1" "Bidder 2", etc. You saw your name on there because it wouldn't make sense to keep you anonymous from yourself.

As for the second chance offer, I'd say ignore it. Second chances are the same as regular buy it now auctions that are available on ebay's site but only to the bidder being offered the second chance. You should NOT, under any circumstances, have to supply any additional information. As mercoledi suggests, if you aren't sure if the email you received is legit, forward it to [email protected] and they will tell you if it's the read deal. Another thing to try is asking the seller directly if they sent you the second chance. Chances are they have no idea what you're talking about. That's happened to me. Scam artists try to represent themselves as the original seller.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Second chance offers work just like the "Buy It Now" function. The entire purchase should be handled through Ebay. I would not provide my personal information prior to the sale. And personally, I would not deal with the seller at all. Something is definitely not right here.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
te:[/b] 3/8/2007 10:21:39 AM
Author:Sophie

Adam & Clark, Inc.

Structural Engineer

Anyone care to offer me any advice.
[/quote]

Look at the sig...that doesn''t even make sense. SCAM.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
This sounds fishy to me.

1. The Seller has never sold anything before - the person has bought stuff on eBay, but not since 2004.
2. The item location says Wisconsin. For someone who does not sell with eBay frequently, you''d think he/she would sell the item at a convenient time, not when he/she is out of the country for a wedding. Wedings are usually scheduled WAY in advance, so this excuse seems lame.
3. The original winning bidder only bought something once, back in Feb 2006. The person could be legit, or maybe not.

Sometimes, people''s eBay accounts get hijacked by hackers. I suspect this is what has happened.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is some information. This link is to an ebay forum where others are questioning the "Second Chance" offer from this seller. His address is listed in the UK back in December 2006 so it must be one heck of a wedding he's attending!!! In December he was selling lighting supplies and requested payment through Western Union. He has multiple emails. It looks like a scam.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000405981&tstart=0&mod=1173191589061

Sorry, I don't know how to make this an active link. You'll have to copy and paste.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had 2nd Chance Offers and they indeed come thru eBay.

When you log into "My eBay" you''ll have a Message from the Seller notifying you the winning bidder backed out. Are you still interested in the item for the amount you bid.

The 2nd Chance Offers I''ve received generally have a time limit of a day or 2 so the Seller can promptly relist the item for sale if I choose not to buy.

If you were contacted outside of eBay, this is probably a scam.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO NO NO

You don''t need to give any of that info for the seller to do ANYTHING except ship once the transaction is completed. This stinks and I would run, not walk from it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a scam. Funny, I was offered something similar (winning bidder didn''t pay, etc) & the person wanted me to wire money - they just happened to be in the UK. This was a couple of years ago. I sent the information to [email protected]. They said it did not orginate within the ebay system.

Yes, the message should be in your inbox on "my ebay". Also, any message coming to you that is through the ebay system should include your ebay name & your complete name.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t do it sophie...do a search for ebay to see what others have been through here.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Stop now. Report it to eBay at once. This is a very common scam.

These scammers watch the auctions and then email (outside the ebay system) the losing bidders claiming to be the seller and offering some too good to be true deal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 4:36:12 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
Stop now. Report it to eBay at once. This is a very common scam.

These scammers watch the auctions and then email (outside the ebay system) the losing bidders claiming to be the seller and offering some too good to be true deal.
Good advice as always!!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Ugh ebay makes me so mad sometimes!!!!!
29.gif

One time I was looking for furniture....searching "distance nearest first" so I could see what was in the area.
One of the picture icons looked to be a woman totally in the nude! I was like, what the heck?! Of course, I clicked on it like the idiot I am....
35.gif

Anyway, when I clicked on it, it took me to a regular listing for a couch. Nothing out of the ordinary. No naked woman to be found. I dismissed it as some lame attempt for some guy to sell his couch faster. (lol.)

Anyway, like a week later I start getting these emails from people asking me about the bike I have for sale on ebay. I logged in, and wouldn''t you know...some guy had taken over my account and set up an auction for a motorcycle! Except it was all shady like "I''m selling this for my brother, so don''t email me about it because I don''t know any information. Email my brother at this address instead..."

Thank goodness people can''t read directions! The bike was a buy it now for like 5 grand.
But I had to email every single person that bid on it and tell them it was a fake add. And I think I even still had to pay for the auction the guy set up. (not sure.)

There are so many scammers on ebay nowadays! ERRR

Anyone see the judge judy episode where a woman spent $400 on a couple of cell phones and the seller sent her two pictures of the phones? CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!

PIKAPIKA988

Rough_Rock
This is a scam!!! I got exactly the same email before and I have reported to EBay. This is a scam, don''t believe this email!!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 6:46:57 PM
Author: PIKAPIKA988
This is a scam!!! I got exactly the same email before and I have reported to EBay. This is a scam, don''t believe this email!!!
thank you!
I have reported it to ebay, and I will let you all know what I hear back.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE:

this is why I love all of you, you are so smart!

Yes, it was a scammer. I sent it to ebay and they said it wasn''t legit.

thanks everyone, you just saved me 700 bucks!
(so now what should I spend it on??) lol

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sophie, are you in love with this ring in particular or are you wanting a pear. You could always get a .50ish pear for about (maybe even under) what you were going to spend on that ring. If you don''t want to spend a lot right now you could always set it in a solitaire and then get a new halo setting down the road. Just thinking out loud for ya...

bfready

Rough_Rock
Obviously the right thing to do is distribute the $700 you saved among those of us who helped you save it. Just send your name, address, social security number, and scanned copies of the front and back of all your credit cards to...
9.gif

Seriously, you did a good thing asking advice about the email. Ebay can be a great thing, but unfortunately there are some bad seeds out there that try to exploit the trust that is required of ebay users.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 10:37:02 PM
Author: bfready
Obviously the right thing to do is distribute the $700 you saved among those of us who helped you save it. Just send your name, address, social security number, and scanned copies of the front and back of all your credit cards to...
9.gif

Seriously, you did a good thing asking advice about the email. Ebay can be a great thing, but unfortunately there are some bad seeds out there that try to exploit the trust that is required of ebay users.
no problem, I''ll put it in the mail right away with 2000 cash in the envelope too, ok?
3.gif

Miranda,
yes, I want a pear halo ring and I have tried on this one and I love it!
I did see it an a Zales outlet a couple months ago for just the ering, for 999 which was still a great deal compared to how they sell the set in the store, for 3200.

It doesn''t have to be this pear halo from Zales, but mmmmmmm I would love something like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results