shape
carat
color
clarity

eBay handbag purchase dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if I can pass this by PS'ers.

In late November I successfully bid on a lovely Mulberry handbag on eBay. I paid immediately and waited for our reliable housesitter to accept delivery (since we're in the Middle East and won't be home until April). It was bought from a reputable seller on eBay who only sells genuine products and has 99.8% excellent track record from over 575 transactions (no negatives in over 12 months). The seller sent the handbag on December 6 via USPS. However, two weeks later the handbag hadn't arrived, so I checked the tracking on the USPS website. It was recorded as delivered on December 9, which shocked me, since someone had been home on both December 9 and 10, all day long, but no bag. I asked our reliable housesitter to check again for the package and I also contacted USPS. USPS asked for further details, including where it was mailed from, what time, sender's name and address etc, etc. I immediately contacted the seller and asked if she could possibly let me have her e-mail address so that I could forward her the e-mail from USPS (as there was too much to include on eBay messaging), so she could provide the details required within and return it to me, for me to forward to USPS (since she wouldn't communicate directly with USPS despite my being in the Middle East). After a week of waiting, she hadn't replied, so I e-mailed her again, to which she replied she is a busy person and doesn't get home till late and I got the impression she was reluctant to divulge her e-mail address, but she wouldn't deal direct with USPS, so what more could I do? She also questioned the arrangement I had with our housesitter. After another slight delay she provided her e-mail address and I forwarded her the USPS e-mail. She did get round to forwarding the relevant information which I e-mailed to USPS. They took time to reply and merely said the item was delivered and that no signature had been requested on delivery, they said they would continue with their enquiries. Great, so the seller sent the bag, USPS say they delivered it, but I never received it. I end up with no handbag (I guess my fault that I hadn't realised a signature wouldn't be required for the package - lesson learned!). My housesitter suggested that USPS must have delivered it to the wrong address, so someone had an early Christmas present. He suggested this because he had received packages for neighbours lately and he had delivered them to the right address.

Anyhow, I tried to be patient with the seller and USPS, who both were slow with their responses, but I hadn't realized that the delay had exceeded the timeframe I could make an insurance claim via Paypal (45 days), so I ended up totally the loser. The seller asked me to keep her updated (although I get the impression she was more concerned about her feedback score rather than my unfortunate buying experience). I sent her an e-mail at least 2 weeks ago (since she asked me to keep her updated), saying that unfortunately USPS had not come back with any positive news and it looked like it was my loss as I couldn't claim from Paypal and politely suggested that perhaps she might consider using the signature on delivery option in future transactions, just to protect herself and her buyers in future. I never heard back from her, when I had at least thought she might be polite enough to reply and say she was sorry about my bad luck, even though I know it wasn't her fault. Was I expecting too much? Probably.

Anyhow, the story has a happy ending in that a couple of days ago the handbag appeared on the doorstep, packaging intact, seemingly found and delivered by USPS. Where it had been for two months is anyone's guess, but it arrived.

My dilemma now is how do I rate the seller on eBay feedback? Yes, the transaction worked out fine in the end, but she was hard work and her lack of interest in my situation and delayed communication caused me real problems, which could have resulted in me losing money, had the handbag not arrived.

Maybe I should just give her a positive and say "Received 2 months late due to USPS losing package, but received. Thank you."

Just wondering what you guys would do. I take eBay seriously and like to leave accurate and fair feedback.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wise ebay sellers use signature required or delivery confirmation. this seller wasn''t wise.

i would leave no feedback.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not too well up on how the feedback thing works on Ebay, but due to her lack of concern you could have been out some serious money and she showed zero interest in helping you out, she could have done more in my opinion. Do what you said below if you feel you want to give her a positive, then people can make up their own minds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2007 8:53:04 AM
Author: ladykemma
wise ebay sellers use signature required or delivery confirmation. this seller wasn''t wise.

i would leave no feedback.
Sounds good to me.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
LK and Lorelei, I think you both speak wise words. The seller did in fact request delivery confirmation, but it only means that USPS have to confirm they delivered the package, so in theory there is no recourse for a purchaser like me, if USPS happen to accidentally deliver the package to the wrong house, and the receiver decides to keep the package. In future I will only purchase high value items if the seller will mail it requesting signature on delivery - I''m prepared to pay for it after this experience. Insurance is also wise, although some sellers won''t offer this as an extra (even at the purchaser''s cost).

It galls me that the seller couldn''t care less about what''s happened, but probably best to just look on it as a bad experience. It''s definitely made me wiser.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I would leave neutral feedback and say something like "Bag as described, but disappointed in seller’s lack of interest & communication when package lost by USPS."

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Duplicate post!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would either leave none or leave neutral or leave positive but with a caveat kinda thing. i think most times people are frightened to leave a neutral or a negative. it would take a lot for me to leave a negative because i don''t want any negative back and also i know it can really ding someone''s rating. in the past i have left positive saying something like ''shipping took forever but product was as pictured'' where it''s kind of positive but also says the facts so others will be aware.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 10:04:49 AM
Author: Rascal49
I would leave neutral feedback and say something like ''Bag as described, but disappointed in seller’s lack of interest & communication when package lost by USPS.''
I agree with this. You can''t leave a positive as it wasn''t a positive experience. The seller was not helpful. I have sold loads of things on ebay and I value the people who buy from me. It wouldn''t have killed her to be more forthcoming with the information you needed.

Maisie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 12:36:31 PM
Author: Maisiebelle

I would leave neutral feedback and say something like ''Bag as described, but disappointed in seller’s lack of interest & communication when package lost by USPS.''
I agree with this. You can''t leave a positive as it wasn''t a positive experience. The seller was not helpful. I have sold loads of things on ebay and I value the people who buy from me. It wouldn''t have killed her to be more forthcoming with the information you needed.

Maisie
I agree.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Our neighbors across the street where we used to live were Postal Workers. Not delivery people. They worked in the Regional Hub where mail is sorted to be sent to the various Post Offices prior to delivery. Or Bagged to be shipped out to assorted locations thru-out the country.

The Lady of the couple, her job was to sort thru letters, posts, and packages, where the address had been damaged and unreadable. She would try to get the item delivered to its destination or returned to the sender. Many times, packages and envelopes just fell off conveyor belts. Other postal workers would step on letters and walk by packages.

I wouldn''t be one bit surprised if your package didn''t spend time sitting on the floor. Then maybe on a shelf. Until someone like our neighbor got the box back into routing to get your package delivered.

On Feedback,......... Positive with a caveat, as Mara suggested. Or Neutral at worst. You could always leave no feedback at all. With as many deals as that seller is doing, it''s not likely he/she will miss it anyway.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks girls for all your help with this. You've all made great suggestions.

I decided to leave a neutral score, with the feedback comment:

"Recommend signature on delivery as bag arrived 8 wks after USPS claimed delivered"

eBay doesn't allow for much wording, so I couldn't add anything about my disappointment with the seller's aftersales communication.

I believe the recommendation to request signature on delivery will protect the buyer and the seller in future. Hopefully the seller will see it that way.

Mara, I'm like you, I hate to leave negative feedback for anyone. I've only done it once in the past, when I purchased a brand new sports bra on eBay. When it arrived it was clearly used and frayed from wear. I contacted the seller and he told me to return the item, but then he said he never received it and actually sent me an e-mail saying "damn Yank, no wonder no one likes you lot". He said he would not refund me (despite saying in feedback that he refunded me straight away even though item was brand new). As you can imagine I was fuming and complained strongly to eBay. After my experience there were at least 20 negatives left for him in a space of a month with similar issues and non-delivery, and he ended up struck off. There were many others who sent me messages about him but they wouldn't leave negatives, for fear of reprisals (he would leave aggressive and nasty feedback). Thankfully for me, he left me positive feedback before I had the issue with him.

FN, I think you're correct, my package must have fallen off the conveyor belt somewhere with USPS and got picked up later on.

Maisiebelle and Kaleigh, as you rightly say, the transaction didn't turn out brilliantly for me so I didn't feel right to leave a positive, due to lack of aftersales support. I would have left her positive feedback had she provided me with the necessary info quickly, but she ignored my first e-mail, I had to chase a week later. She didn't so much as offer a 'sorry' when all seemed to be lost. Even that would have been better than nothing. She ignored my update e-mail even though I was polite and said it was my loss.

Giving eBay feedback is important and I take it seriously. I strive to be accurate and fair. Hopefully I have been in this case.

The good news is I got the pretty handbag (a blue Mulberry Ledbury) eventually. Now what other handbag can I buy, insured and signature on delivery?!!! Yes, I've learnt a valuable lesson.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am really glad you did get your bag in the end and are happy I hope.

Overall, I just really do not love or endorse Ebay. I have heard of too many issues and myself was terribly burned. who cares about negative feedback if you are just going to unregister as a seller and disappear, only to re appear as a new seller later? I also know someone can leave negative feedback that is not warranted, or might not have negative feedback that is warranted. I just see so many issues and ways for someone to get shafted. You get a used item, he claims he refunded you, and what can you do about it? It is just too much to me. I also think they are less than helpful about dealing with fraud and problems than they claim to be, people are on there running scams all the time. I have been lucky a couple times, and dealt with good people, and I have lost thousands on purse and the person had given phony information and unsubsribed right after getting my money. While of course I have learned a lot since then, I still just do not really love the whole process. I am glad you were able to make some mention of your situation!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondfan, I have to agree with you. Throughout the bad purchase I made previously (the sports bra), I found eBay customer service lacking in assistance, even though the seller was clearly rude and aggressive towards customers via eBay feedback and in e-mails. I had proof (in e-mails) that he was refusing to refund, yet he was saying in the feedback that a refund was given, but eBay wouldn''t act on the proof I submitted. It took a long time to get him struck off, whilst he continued to cheat other people (which I was trying to prevent). If I buy through eBay I am very careful and will be even more so after this recent episode. I usually only buy inexpensive items through eBay, but this particular bag caught my attention as it seemed like a great buy, from a genuine seller. Great bag but unfortunately aftersales was lacking. Thankfully it all ended up okay in the end.

By the way.... I love your 9.22ct EC. GORGEOUS!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you! I am ashamed about my terrible photos, they really suck! And my stone is so dirty it is embarrassing!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondfan - dirty or clean, be proud and make sure you get the best out of it by wearing it often. It truly is stunning.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
MiniMouse,

As a frequent ebay seller myself, I''m sure she was very concerned that you were possibly scamming her. I have been in a similiar situation, and it is never fun to deal with a buyer who claims they have not received an item, when the tracking info says that the item was delivered. It looks like you were one of the lucky few where the shipping company corrected their mistake.

I would not leave her bad feedback, though. She did what she was supposed to do, she shipped the item in a timely manner. A seller can choose to ship via any method they want -- if someone wants signed delivery, which is always good on an expensive item, then they should request that. If the seller won''t offer it, then don''t deal with them. The seller wasn''t responsible for USPS''s delay, so I don''t see why you would mention that in her feedback? I guess I don''t see how this was her fault, when you yourself could have just as easily requested signature delivery? I have buyers who occasionally request this, and I am more than happy to oblige.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would have left positive feedback w/the recommendation to add delivery signature. The ebay seller did everything she was supposed to do. She cant control USPS. Could she have been a little more understanding? yes, but you know......

We ship our packages USPS priority w/delivery confirmation & I leave it up to the buyer whether or not they want insurance. Once the package leaves me it's out of my hands. I state in my listing that I am not responsible for items lost by USPS & insurance is highly recommended. I do keep in touch with buyers though. Priority is 2-3 days but they do not guarantee it & I have had more than enough packages that I have sent & ones that I was expecting take up to 2 weeks to get to me.

Enjoy your bag!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 12:13:33 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
MiniMouse,

As a frequent ebay seller myself, I''m sure she was very concerned that you were possibly scamming her. I have been in a similiar situation, and it is never fun to deal with a buyer who claims they have not received an item, when the tracking info says that the item was delivered. It looks like you were one of the lucky few where the shipping company corrected their mistake.

I would not leave her bad feedback, though. She did what she was supposed to do, she shipped the item in a timely manner. A seller can choose to ship via any method they want -- if someone wants signed delivery, which is always good on an expensive item, then they should request that. If the seller won''t offer it, then don''t deal with them. The seller wasn''t responsible for USPS''s delay, so I don''t see why you would mention that in her feedback? I guess I don''t see how this was her fault, when you yourself could have just as easily requested signature delivery? I have buyers who occasionally request this, and I am more than happy to oblige.
Lindsey, nothing could be further from the truth. When I e-mailed the seller I was very polite and asked if she could help me out with providing shipping information since USPS had mislaid the package and they needed information I was unable to provide. At no time was I screaming or in any way confrontational (communication was only via e-mail). I received no response. A week later I had to chase up, again very politely, to which I had the response that she''s a busy person (no word of sorry for the delay). Had my handbag not (finally) arrived, this seller would have been partly to blame for me missing the deadline to make a claim via Paypal.

As far as ''confirmed delivery'' by USPS goes... in the UK, recorded delivery is what we use, which requires a signature and I (wrongly) believed ''confirmed delivery'' by USPS must be the same. My fault for not checking into this, I may be in Saudi Arabia but I in hindsight I should have checked the USPS website, but I still think the seller could have been more helpful. I know if the position had been reversed I would have provided the information as quickly as a I possibly could. I offered for her to put in a claim by USPS if she didn''t want to provide me with her e-mail (as there was insufficient space on eBay messaging to copy USPS''s e-mail to), but she chose not to. Under the circumstances I believe my neutral feedback was fair.

Vegasangel, sorry, but it was not a positive experience, partly due to the seller''s reluctance to offer the information USPS required, without me having to chase up. Again I feel my neutral feedback was fair.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto. I always send insured with signature confirmation - not that I sell very often. It was an expensive bag, you deserved better service. Btw. you can also go through your credit card if Paypal isn''t helpful - I always pay Paypal via. credit card for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results