shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay Find -Old cut ring in platinum

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a common Poor-Fair cut MRB to me. It could be a vintage MRB (from after the 1950s), but it is not what I would call an "old cut." Even the label "transitional" is a marketing ploy IMO aimed at attributing rarity to the stone (that may not be warranted) to increase perceived value.

To determine if the price is fair for what you do have, you would need an appraisal of color and clarity. You could look up prices for K-L color Poor-Fair cut MRBs to get a sense of what the diamond *could* be worth. The setting is pretty and replacing it could cost a lot on the secondary market and even more to make a new replica!

So whether you keep it or not depends on what you are after and what you value. I think you likely paid a fair price for what it is (a pretty setting with a poorly cut modern diamond). If you are after an old cut with great optics, this ain't it. So it all depends on whether you got what you actually wanted or not.
Very well said.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Very well said.
Nala, why are you jumping on ( it’s a crappy poor cut ,off color diamond wagon)
Your eyes IRL can tell more about how a diamond performs. It’s got
sparkly rainbow flashes and brightness. I own OMC & OEC diamonds,
This is a nice ring, the old French cuts are TDF and the center diamond ,
I don’t think anyone would be hiding their hands in their pockets.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post #9 of this old thread is about as close as I can get for more info about European Cut:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-antique-diamonds.6444/
"... 1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)..."
It's larger table, lower height crown with flatter angle, and I'd say more tendency toward brilliance (white light) than fire. I have an old diamond that was sold to be as "European Cut" and certainly fits neither the OEC or the "transitional" style of diamonds that are typically posted here.
This is very interesting - thanks @AdaBeta27. My OEC which shares these characteristics was described by the appraiser as an “early English Round Brilliant (Jeffries)” but I’ve never been able to find anything terribly useful on what that means since Jeffries was a jeweller writing on diamonds in 1751 which is a bit early for the style of diamond cut I have.
Mines got the faceup petals of a classic OEC without having the teeny table and high crown so I’ve always wondered where it fell in the OEC-transitional spectrum.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, why are you jumping on ( it’s a crappy poor cut ,off color diamond wagon)
Your eyes IRL can tell more about how a diamond performs. It’s got
sparkly rainbow flashes and brightness. I own OMC & OEC diamonds,
This is a nice ring, the old French cuts are TDF and the center diamond ,
I don’t think anyone would be hiding their hands in their pockets.
I respect Dreamer’s opinion about old cuts. Plus my eyes agree with her assessment. Yes the setting is to die for and she told you as much but you posted the thread to ask about the cut of the center stone. I don’t know why you are jumping on me if you started this thread to get honest opinions.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I respect Dreamer’s opinion about old cuts. Plus my eyes agree with her assessment. Yes the setting is to die for and she told you as much but you posted the thread to ask about the cut of the center stone. I don’t know why you are jumping on me if you started this thread to get honest opinions.
Nala, I have been following you and your gorgeous rings forever. I was not jumping on you ( I respect you). I believe you can post honest opinions
without crossing the line to “brutal” opinions. I would not think of keeping it
If it was a flat pancake of frozen spit. Diamonds have different personalities, my ring makes me happy- I’ve had some I returned ASAP.
The original poster said if I wanted a nice OEC with beautiful optics that
“THAT AIN’T IT”. I posted in regards to buying from Ebay, my 1st purchase, didn’t want to pay too much for what I bought. The diamond has only one
microscopic inclusion. I may replace the diamond with a colored stone
down the road. I totally enjoy all your posts.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
OP: At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what you see and what you love. Old stones are as individual as we are. Cameras can never adequately portray what we see with our own eyes. Enjoy and wear!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
:D:D:D:D:D
OP: At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what you see and what you love. Old stones are as individual as we are. Cameras can never adequately portray what we see with our own eyes. Enjoy and wear!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results