shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay auction - awesome deal? What''s the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
How does $7K for a 1.14 E VVS1 grab you? I know it''s EGL, but can it possibly be lower than a G/VS1? The scores all look excellent...
confused.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2673604146&category=10216

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The first clue is that the seller is advertising the diamond as "Ideal" and it has a 58% table which places it outside the realm of the ideal cut rating right off the bat. That said, it could be a pretty stone, the pavilion depth percent is in the right range, but a more educated guess could be made if the seller listed the pavilion angle instead of the percent measurement because the angle is actually measured by the Sarin / OGI machines and the percent measurement is only estimated... See if the seller will make the sale contingent on verification / evaluation by one of the independent appraisers listed on the appraisers page here on PS (click on "appraisers" at the top of any PS page for a directory) and proceed from there... If there not willing to send the diamond to an independent appraiser, we'd walk away from the "deal".

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Niceice put it n-ice-ly

7K is not out of the world crazy low for this stone...it is a good price. Do a search for this vendors feedback - I dont like that the links do not work but he does state-no restocking fees. 2 days is tight to get it appraised in.

Does anyone else see some crud on one of the prongs?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's just some kind of tool he's using to hold it - I pity that diamond if it's set in such an ugly ring
2.gif

The HCA adviser gave this 0.8 - isn't that too good for a stone that's not ideal?

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You need crown and pavillion angles to get an accurate score using the HCA. Email the seller and ask for that info, then plug the HCA.
2.gif

My personal experience with getting Sarin info from eBay sellers was not great. I asked several diamond sellers for crown and pavillion angles. "We can get that to you within a day!", and no further response. Or, "We don't have that information available."
nono.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/24/2003 1:49:49 PM ChooChoo wrote:

The HCA adviser gave this 0.8 - isn't that too good for a stone that's not ideal?
----------------

'Ideal' is just by AGS0 standards...that doesn't really mean anything at all in terms of beauty which is what the HCA is trying to rate in my opinion. I have seen stones that are not H&A that are out of the 'ideal' standards of AGS that score .4 on the HCA. Just because the stone is slightly out of AGS0 ideal standards does not mean it isn't a knockout stone and it won't score lovely on the HCA. The two really have no relevance. I have also seen AGS0 stones score 3-4 on the HCA--in fact I just plugged one from Blue Nile in right now and it came up 3.3 but has AGS0 numbers. So the numbers don't mean everything

2.gif

Also as the others noted, you just have the %'s here...those are not accurate--they are just rounded percentages. With the angles, the stone may score more like 1.5 on the HCA--still an excellent score. Angles are the best tool to use though if you are going to be using the HCA and relying on the scoring. Get specific.

The stone itself looks lovely in the picture. EGL grading may be off a bit depending on the lab, but even if it is and its something like F/G and VS, its still an excellent deal if the stone is well cut.

BTW that stone isn't in a setting, it's being held by one of those fakey ring holder things, you put the stone in it and then you can wear it like a ring to see how it would look on your hand. But it's not a real setting. It's like a tweezer somewhat.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really, that price is going to buy 2/3 of a known ideal cut with those other specs to boot. and not too many other pieces. That cut is by no means that bad to commend such a hefty discount. In this case, the last 10% of perfection will cost 1/3 of the total price or more. Is it worth it? I guess you already know YOUR answer...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results