shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy fix?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Quick question- i sent one of my never set gemstones (corundum) to be set and DK said he just received and viewed under a loupe and said the top corner facets on the table Has a tiny nick only visible with a loupe. I don’t want him to set it if it will just need to be Unset to smooth out. Is this location an easy fix on a stone ?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the first question is that if it is only visible with a loupe, do you WANT it smoothed out? I have something like that on the girdle of my engagement ring sapphire and I quite frankly don't care, so I just leave it there. Wasn't worth the fuss to me. BUT if you prefer to have something without the nick, then yes you would want to get it polished out before being set.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi distracts,

thank you for your response, so you would just have it set and move on ? I’m reading polished actually means cut ? Is that correct because that would be a lot of fuss I was hoping it wouldn’t be so involved since it’s on the top table facet ? Thank you

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Polished can mean more extensive adjustments, as they end up reasjuating the other facets to meet properly -- so in that sense perhaps the answer is yes.

But honeslty itll have more dings in it within the year. Theyre just pointing it out to you, ao that you dont come back later to say they caused the damage. They are not neccessarily advising you to polish out something so small that you cant see it with the naked eye. Would recomend not stressing over it, sapphires are less durable than daimonds (the scale is logarithmic so a single digit can mean a substantive change) and you will be expecting some wear and tear to accumulate over time. Starting from a complete blank slate is more of a mind clean thing than a really practical good practice.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's really going to bother you, you should get it polished out. Something that bothers you now will only continue to bother you later on.

Now, if it were me (and only visible with a loop), I'd probably ignore it. As @qubitasaurus mentioned, you're likely to put plenty of dings on it yourself with normal wear & tear. Honestly, I try not to loupe my gems so I don't see what damage I've done to them over the years. :shifty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's really going to bother you, you should get it polished out. Something that bothers you now will only continue to bother you later on.

Now, if it were me (and only visible with a loop), I'd probably ignore it. As @qubitasaurus mentioned, you're likely to put plenty of dings on it yourself with normal wear & tear. Honestly, I try not to loupe my gems so I don't see what damage I've done to them over the years. :shifty:
Exactly my thoughts, which is why I never loupe the gems I wear!! Lol

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Most likely the goldsmith only mentioned it to cover himself from later complains. I wouldn't bother. What you can see only under the lens does not really matter once set.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so very much ladies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results