shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy Fix? (Costco Quality Control)

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!

Haven't posted much in recent years but go back a long way to when my DH and I were engaged . (Glad to see that PS is still going strong! Great resource. Beautiful bling!:bigsmile:)

My wedding band came from Costco as well as some colored gemstone jewelry. However, only recently did I make my first Costco diamond earring purchase. (Can't go wrong with the quality of Costco diamonds!)

Unfortunately, I am in need of advice on how to deal with Costco's quality control. I bought two different styles and in both cases the setting was faulty.

Back story: My original goal was to buy a pair of classic diamond studs. However, I dislike screw-back ("fumble fingers" here, lol). I was disappointed to find that their fashion earrings have a kind of friction back I associate with lost earrings (somewhat resembles a heart shape rather than the more typical butterfly back). Those type tend to loosen up in my experience so I went with something entirely different.

In the end, I bought these dangle "ear cuff" earrings (see photos on Costco website).

Upon receipt, I failed to appreciate that one of the settings was faulty. I thought the lock was rather strong (took 20 minutes to get it open) but I blamed that on inexperience with the type of lock. Then I put it on and quickly realized I had no grip to pry the lock back open (feared I would tear my earlobe trying). After comparing the earrings, I realized that the "stiff" one was faulty. I couldn't figure out how to make it operate correctly, so I ordered another pair through the Costco website (style not in store near me). Next pair arrives and both hinges open easily but one earring hinge opens only half way before it stops making it tricky to thread my earlobe through. Returned the first pair and kept the second, but began to second guess that decision.

As an alternative, I bought these diamond huggies (see photos on website). Now I have a new problem. One of the hinges snaps securely in place and the other doesn't. (Noticed the same issue with the store display but since mine came from the merchandise pickup I didn't think it would have the same issue. Unfortunately it does.) I then went back and checked the reviews for the earrings and after scrolling through 5 years worth, I realized that quite a few people lost their earrings due to this issue.

Then a ray of hope: One of the reviewers said it is possible to adjust the lock by putting pressure on the post (didn't say whether that should be up or down, however).

Question: For either one of these styles, is there any DIY solution? If not, is this something a jeweler can fix? Or would I be better off re-ordering the earrings however many times as it takes until I get a pair that doesn't have issues straight out of the box?

True to expectation, the diamonds are dazzlers. But I have to admit that I'm disappointed that Costco jewelry settings don't receive the same level of scrutiny from the Costco buying team.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I think a jeweler can make these small adjustments (I would not risk a DIY). You could re-order and swap pairs until you get two that are up to standard. I.e., order another pair, and if one is good and one is not, keep the good one from your first pair and the good one from your second pair and return the two faulty ones as a pair.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use non-marking electrician/jeweller pliers to bend the post in place, making small adjustments at a time.

DK :))

GemView

Shiny_Rock
I think a jeweler can make these small adjustments (I would not risk a DIY). You could re-order and swap pairs until you get two that are up to standard. I.e., order another pair, and if one is good and one is not, keep the good one from your first pair and the good one from your second pair and return the two faulty ones as a pair.

Thank you. I'll try a jeweler and see whether they can
I use non-marking electrician/jeweller pliers to bend the post in place, making small adjustments at a time.

Should the post move up or down for the huggies? (One of them has a distinctive "click" sound but the one I'm concerned about doesn't.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should the post move up or down for the huggies? (One of them has a distinctive "click" sound but the one I'm concerned about doesn't.)

Would you be able to post a photo of your earring in the opened position please? TIA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results