shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy chicken recipes

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicken is a favorite in my household but I'm running out of ways to make it. I'd love to gather some recipes together from PS and put those with ones I've found elsewhere online. Do you have any ideas to share?

I have two, in case anyone else is looking for new recipes also. Both are super easy!

Orzo pasta and chicken salad

I make this all the time in the summer. Sometimes I make it with bowtie pasta instead of orzo. I'm not including measurements because I just mix everything together to taste. I love this dish because it takes no time to make and it's good warm or cold.

Orzo (or another pasta if you'd prefer)
Greek salad dressing (I like Christie's)
Feta cheese
black olives
grape or cherry tomatoes
baby spinach leaves
boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Cook any way you'd like. I usually poach it or cheat and just buy a rotisserie chicken.)

Chicken salad with Italian dressing

boneless, skinless chicken breasts
celery
onions (yellow and red)
almond slices
Italian dressing (I try to get a high quality dressing rather than your basic Kraft, etc.)
soy sauce
lettuce or baby spinach leaves and paprika (optional)

Poach boneless chicken breasts. You can add celery stalks and chunks of a yellow onion if you'd like more flavor.
Cut chicken into small chunks.
Cut celery into thin slices.
Add rings of red onion.
Add sliced almonds
Marinate above ingredients in a large Ziploc bag or a large bowl with Italian dressing. Add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce to taste. Marinate overnight or for several hours.

Arrange over lettuce or spinach leaves, sprinkle with additional almonds, and paprika. Serve. Sometimes I make chicken sandwiches with this instead of placing it over lettuce or spinach. Mmmmm....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not being snarky but I LOVE Costco's cooked rotisserie chickens.
They are huge, moist, plump, and delicious and only $5 so I buy one every week.

Here is my "recipe".

First, drain the juice into a tall champagne glass and put it in the fridge.

Remove and discard all the skin, fat and bones.
Chop up the meat and put into a bowl.
If desired, keep some of the skin from the breast area for flavor but discard the skin from the back since it's very fatty.

Check the fridge; when the fat has separated from the juices in the Champagne glass I skim off and discard the fat.
I microwave the rest of the juice for 10 seconds, just long enough to liquify the gelatin, and pour it over the chopped meat and stir.

Then I separate it into individual serving-sized portions in ziplock bags.
I suck out the air before sealing them to prevent freezer burn.
Freeze.

Now I have 5 to 8 quick, cheap, delicious, healthy microwaveable entrees.

April20

Ideal_Rock
We eat a lot of chicken too. I'm always after new ways to make it.

One of my favorite ways to have it is to pound the chicken breasts until they are very thin- sometimes we slice them in half and then pound them. You brush one side with melted butter and bread it with panko bread crumbs. In the center of the unbreaded side, put a largish dab of aloette cheese or similar. I like the garlic flavored one best. Roll it up and secure with a tooth pick. Bake at 350 until the juices run clear- it will take about 25-30 mins.

The other thing I do is crockpot the whole bird. I rub the bird with a spice mixture of choice. Put the whole bird breast side up in the crockpot with nothing else and cook on low for 4 hrs (give or take). You do not need to add any water at all- it makes about 3" of juice in the pot and comes out very similarly to the rotisseree chicken you buy at the store. So easy!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kenny I'm going to have to try Costco's chicken now. Do you go to Costco every week? That's often! I have to exercise utmost self control to not buy crazy stuff I'll never use, or use up.

I started doing chicken enchiladas recently. Cooked chicken however you want to make it. I usually make the enchilada sauce, but you can buy it too.
Sauce: 1 large can tomato sauce, 1 diced med onion, 2-3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp each cumin, coriander seed, 1 diced jalepeno (optional) or 2 chopped chilpotle chilies in adobo sauce. On med-high heat, saute onion & garlic till onions are translucent, about 4 mins. Add cumin & coriander and still until fragrant, about 2-3 mins. Add chilies if using, then add tomato sauce/salsa. Let it bubble up, then taste for salt & pepper.

To assemble enchiladas, spoon a little bit of sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Take CORN tortillas (small 6" size) and heat up a little. Add a bit of chicken, sprinkle cheese and if you like, a tablespoon of beans (refried or black your choice). Roll, and place on dish seam side down. Fill your dish up, and pour sauce all over the rolls. Sprinkle withe cheese then bake.

I also like doing beer butt chicken on the grill, and made a spicy, tangy chicken stir fry last night that DH really liked. If you want either of those let me know.

~LC

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
The easiest chicken recipe that I use a lot is the classic roast chicken and potatoes - the way I make the potatoes, though, is different from most people.

Anyway, you get some chicken drumsticks - usually about 10 - and some potatoes that you've peeled. Slather tomato paste on the potatoes. Add salt and a bit of vegetable oil. Then add water until everything in the tray is covered with water. Heat in 180C for 1.5 hours. I swear both the chicken and the potatoes turn out sooooo tender.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lliang_chi|1311351089|2974619 said:
Kenny I'm going to have to try Costco's chicken now. Do you go to Costco every week? That's often! I have to exercise utmost self control to not buy crazy stuff I'll never use, or use up.

Yes I go weekly but only buy staples and ignore all the tempting impulsive buys which is Costco's forte.

They have a huge bag of bananas for $1.32 which can't be beat, a huge bag of baby spinach leaves is only $3.
Enormous bag of organic carrots for $3 - I make carrot juice almost daily.
Their fresh bread is also a great deal as are their bagels, which freeze well.
I don't even walk down the junk fool aisles.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
One of the favorites in our household is French's Onion Chicken tenders. My kids saw it on a TV commercial, and told me about it.
I bought a canister of French's crispy fried onions, and just followed the recipe on the can (but I used chicken tenders instead of whole breast), it was so easy, and so good, especially dipped in honey mustard.

Another is Chicken asado:

Marinade about 2 lbs Chicken (any part) overnight in:
1 cup Sunny D Orange juice
1 cup Chicken broth
1 Lemon (juice only)
1 lime
2 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
Seasoning salt to desired taste.

Grill and serve with tortillas, rice, coleslaw, or any sides...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Our favorite easy chicken is parmesan crusted chicken.

Thin out the thick part of the breast just so it'll cook evenly.

Start with dry chicken.

Mix a few tbsp of milk with 1 egg.
Dip breasts in egg mixture.

Mix 1/2C to 3/4 C Parmesan (The Kraft grated parm works better than fresh parm) with 1 C bread crumbs. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, whatever you like.
Dredge chicken in bread mixture.

Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Place a pat of butter on top of each.

Cook at 350 for about 45 min. (less or more depending on the thickness of the breast.)

I'll also pound them thinner and cook them in about 15 mins to serve on pasta.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo- I just tried a new chicken dish on the grill last night and we loved it!

Cover a chicken breast in a tsp. of garlic powder (yea, it's a lot, but don't be scared, it works out!)
Salt and pepper to taste
lay 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary on top of the chicken
Wrap the whole chicken breast in bacon; I used three bacons for a large chicken breast.
Grill until done

I served it with rice and a cucumber and tomato salad, it was yummy and we'll be adding it the regular dinners list.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1311345091|2974541 said:
Chicken is a favorite in my household but I'm running out of ways to make it. I'd love to gather some recipes together from PS and put those with ones I've found elsewhere online. Do you have any ideas to share?
KFC original... :lickout:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny -- We don't belong to Costco, but we buy rotisserie chicken from the grocery store fairly often. They're always good for quick dinners.

April -- The chicken dish you make with alouette cheese sounds really good. I'll have to add that to my files. Thanks!

LC -- I've never made chicken enchiladas but it sounds pretty simple (and yummy too!). I'd love to hear how you made the chicken stir fry. Thanks!

Mayerling -- I never would have thought to put tomato paste on potatoes but I'll have to keep that in mind.

Jaysonsmom -- I'm adding chicken asado to my files now. That sounds really good. Thanks!

SS -- I forgot about parmesan crusted chicken. I used to make that fairly often but I haven't done so in a while. That will have to go back into rotation!

Aviastar -- You can't go wrong with bacon wrapped chicken! Mmmm....

DF -- Ah, KFC. My husband would love it if we had it more than once every few years. :bigsmile:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I hope this isn't a thread jack...but an add on...I use the Costco canned Chicken for sandwiches...could people share their recipes that use canned chicken as well as other easy and affordable chicken recipes! Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My old standby is putting melted butter on the chicken breast and then rolling each chicken breast in a mixture of bread crumbs and grated parm. cheese. Bake it and serve. It's really good.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1311542599|2975930 said:
My old standby is putting melted butter on the chicken breast and then rolling each chicken breast in a mixture of bread crumbs and grated parm. cheese. Bake it and serve. It's really good.

Oh, that really sounds good.
I'm going to try that one.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I looooove these recipes, thanks so much for the thread!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jewelerman|1311540360|2975904 said:
I hope this isn't a thread jack...but an add on...I use the Costco canned Chicken for sandwiches...could people share their recipes that use canned chicken as well as other easy and affordable chicken recipes! Thanks!

Jewelerman:

For my Costco canned chicken salad, I use:

1 can Kirkland brand chicken
Mayo (however much you need to get the amount of creaminess you like)
Garlic powder (maybe a little less than 1/4 tsp)
Dried dill (about 1/2 tsp)
Sliced toasted almonds (maybe 1/4 cup). You can also use the slivered toasted almonds but they won't break into pieces
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Mix and spread on your favorite bread. I also use it to stuff a sliced red pepper (raw) as a change from sandwiches. This is one of my husband's favorites. You can do the seasonings in whatever amount you want. I never measure so I'm just guessing as to how much I use.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1311347768|2974568 said:
I'm not being snarky but I LOVE Costco's cooked rotisserie chickens.
They are huge, moist, plump, and delicious and only $5 so I buy one every week.

So THAT'S how you can afford all those colored diamonds!!!!!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite easy chicken recipes for summer is Greek grilled chicken skewers.

Cut 2 full chicken breasts into about 2 inch cubes.

Marinate for at least one hour in: 1/4 cup olive oil
the juice of one lemon
2 cloves crushed garlic (don't mince, just crush the cloves with the back of a knife)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Salt & pepper to taste

Refrigerate. When the hour is up, add onion quarters and chunks of red pepper to the marinade. Stir then place on skewers, alternating chicken and veggies then grill until the chicken is done. You can use wooden skewers if you soak them in water for an hour or so first.

Works well with shrimp too. I sometimes do both, but skewer the shrimp separately because they take less time to cook.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I have three yummy and easy chicken dishes I'd love to share.

Orange Chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Orange Juice Concentrate - 1/2 to the entire can depending on how many breasts you are making
1/4 cup bourbon
2-3 T butter
Salt & Pepper

Salt and pepper chicken breasts. Brown on each side in melted butter for 1-2 minutes on high heat. Add OJ concentrate and bourbon. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce reduces and chicken is cooked through. Serve over brown or white rice with sauce and some toasted almonds on top

Chicken Tarragon
Boneless, Skinless chicken breasts (1 per person)
1/3-1/2 cup flour
Salt & Pepper
Tarragon - 2 t dried or 1T fresh (for 3 breasts)
Chicken broth - 1/2-1 cup
Lemon Juice from 1/2 lemon
Olive or Canola oil

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in zip-top bag with flour, salt, pepper and tarragon. Shake to coat. Heat enough canola or olive oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Cook chicken until no longer pink and browned on all sides, about 4-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low and deglaze pan with chicken broth and lemon juice. Bring sauce to boil and stir til thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Serve over rice, pasta or potatoes.

Chicken Picatta
1/3-1/2 C flour
Salt & Pepper
2-3 T butter
1/2 C dry white wine
Lemon juice from 1 lemon
Capers (optional)

Dredge chicken in flour, salt and pepper and brown in butter on each side for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine and lemon juice and cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-8 minutes. Add capers during last two minutes if desired. Serve over pasta with basil chiffonade if desired.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Threadjack away, Jewelerman! :))

These recipes sound awesome. Thanks for posting them, everyone!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1311550776|2975995 said:

Jewelerman:

For my Costco canned chicken salad, I use:

1 can Kirkland brand chicken
Mayo (however much you need to get the amount of creaminess you like)
Garlic powder (maybe a little less than 1/4 tsp)
Dried dill (about 1/2 tsp)
Sliced toasted almonds (maybe 1/4 cup). You can also use the slivered toasted almonds but they won't break into pieces
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Mix and spread on your favorite bread. I also use it to stuff a sliced red pepper (raw) as a change from sandwiches. This is one of my husband's favorites. You can do the seasonings in whatever amount you want. I never measure so I'm just guessing as to how much I use.
i try this tomorrow for lunch!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Mrsacornblue|1311551950|2976006 said:
Chicken Picatta
1/3-1/2 C flour
Salt & Pepper
2-3 T butter
1/2 C dry white wine
Lemon juice from 1 lemon
Capers (optional)
Dredge chicken in flour, salt and pepper and brown in butter on each side for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine and lemon juice and cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-8 minutes. Add capers during last two minutes if desired. Serve over pasta with basil chiffonade if desired.
I make this one all the time. I love it!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Costco rotisserie chicken is YUMMY!. I have tried them in my local grocery stores too but just not as good :lickout:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much easier than the instructions - very detailed - indicate. Tried and true and a winter favorite on a Sunday when you just want to throw something in the oven and pretty much forget it 'til it's done. Not a crispy-skin chicken - we don't eat the skin on this one - but the chicken is moist and totally flavorful and the juice is heaven.

French Chicken in a Pot
Serves 4. Published January 1, 2008. From Cook's Illustrated.

The cooking times in the recipe are for a 4 1/2- to 5-pound bird. A 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-pound chicken will take about an hour to cook, and a 5- to 6-pound bird will take close to 2 hours. We developed this recipe to work with a 5- to 8-quart Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. If using a 5-quart pot, do not cook a chicken larger than 5 pounds. Use the best chicken available, such as a Bell & Evans. If using a kosher chicken, reduce the kosher salt to 1 teaspoon (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt). If you choose not to serve the skin with the chicken, simply remove it before carving. The amount of jus will vary depending on the size of the chicken; season it with about 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice for every 1/4 cup.
INGREDIENTS
1 whole roasting chicken (4 1/2 to 5 pounds), giblets removed and discarded, wings tucked under back (see note)
2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small onion , chopped medium (about 1/2 cup)
1 small stalk celery , chopped medium (about 1/4 cup)
6 medium garlic cloves , peeled and trimmed
1 bay leaf
1 medium sprig fresh rosemary (optional)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
INSTRUCTIONS
1. 1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until just smoking. Add chicken breast-side down; scatter onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary (if using) around chicken. Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon inserted into cavity of bird, flip chicken breast-side up and cook until chicken and vegetables are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat; place large sheet of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid. Transfer pot to oven and cook until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 110 minutes.
2. 2. Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with foil, and rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, strain chicken juices from pot through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator, pressing on solids to extract liquid; discard solids (you should have about 3/4 cup juices). Allow liquid to settle 5 minutes, then pour into saucepan and set over low heat. Carve chicken, adding any accumulated juices to saucepan. Stir lemon juice into jus to taste. Serve chicken, passing jus at table.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I have zillions of recipes...but, inspired by all these rotisserie lovers, I thought I'd start by sharing something from The Dinner Doctor:

15 Ways to Doctor A Deli Roast Chicken:

1. Shred or chunk chicken while warm, place on top of a bowl of hot posta, and add a dollop of pesto or black-olive paste.

2. Slice chicken, pile on top of slices of bread, then put Swiss cheese on top. Pass under the broiler and serve with avocado slices and a spicy mayo.

3. Put slices of warm chicken on toast, add slices of crisp bacon and ripe tomato, then blanket with your favorite cheese sauce (or cheese, I suppose)

4. Serve warm on toasted bread or a bed of cooked spinach with a chutney or your favorite salsa.

5. Shred chicken and scatter over a salad.

6. Top sliced chicken with mushrooms that have been sauteed in olive oil with a bit of dry sherry or dry white wine.

7. Shred the meat, layer onto warmed flour tortillas alsong with black beans, shredded cheese, salsa, and avocado (if you've got it). Tortillas!

8. Spread Dijon mustard all over the chicken, sprinkle it with black pepper, then shower it with chopped fresh tarragon and bake in 350 oven until warmed through.

9. Save juices from deli packaging to make gravy then spoon over the sliced chicken and mashed potatoes.

10. Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss with chopped pecans, green grapes, a little minced onion, tarragon, and enough mayo to pull the salad together. Season with salt and serve with sliced tomato.

11. Spread #10 on tortillas, roll up, and slice into pinwheels.

12. Chop chicken, heat it along with favorite curry sauce, and serve over basmati rice.

13. Spread mayo on slices of sourdough bread. Layer slices of chicken, jellied cranberry sauce, and slices of sharp cheedar. Top with more bread, brush sandwich w/ olive oil. Grill or broil until cheese melts and bread is golden brown on both sides.

14. Place chicken slices on split squares of hot corn bread. Boil the juices from the packaging and spoon on top.

15. Serve sliced chicken col w/ a quick gribiche sauce made by adding chopped sour pickles, capers, parsley, and minced hard-cooked egg to your favorite salad vinaigrette.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1311551091|2975999 said:
kenny|1311347768|2974568 said:
I'm not being snarky but I LOVE Costco's cooked rotisserie chickens.They are huge, moist, plump, and delicious and only $5 so I buy one every week.
So THAT'S how you can afford all those colored diamonds!!!!!
Actually, it's true.
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally am an OCD tightwad in almost every area of my life.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i recently tried this one. its' simple and yummy.

4 chicken breasts
4 slices swiss cheese
1 can campbell's creamy chicken soup mixed with 1/4 cup milk
stuffing mix
butter

rinse and pat dry chicken breasts; lay out in baking dish. place on slice of cheese over each breast. spread soup/milk mixture over chicken. sprinkle desired amount of stuffing mix over chicken. add several pats of butter. bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good thread. I love chicken and we eat quite a bit of it too.

sticky lime chicken

4 chicken breasts
grated rind and juice of one lime
a tablespoon of honey
a garlic clove (optional-but I always use it)
a tablespoon of olive oil
pepper and some fresh thyme

Place breasts in roasting tray. Put rind and juice in a bowl along with honey, oil, garlic and thyme and mix together. Spoon the mixture over the chicken breasts and season with the pepper. Roast in oven at 190celcius/375 far for 35-40 mins. Bast chicken every 10 mins with the sticky mixture.

sun-blush tomato pesto roasted chicken

again four chicken breasts.
tablespoon of olive oil
season with salt and pepper.

for the pesto use 125g of sun-blush tomatoes in oil, 3 garlic cloves, a couple of tablespoons of pine kernels and 150ml of a good olive oil. Place it in the mixer and mix until it's a thick paste. Then dip each breast into a tiny bit of oil and coat in the paste. Put in oven for 200 C/400 F for 30 mins.

These are two of my go-to favourites if I need a quick dinner as they don't take long to prepare and I can shower and get myself ready while the chicken is in the oven.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results