shape
carat
color
clarity

Easter Babies - Finally Photos!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has been a challenge uploading images :naughty: :nono: - I hope this works! Cross fingers

Chrysoberyls first Easter%20Gem%20Pics%20-%201.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
plural? you got more than one??!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so frustrated I could scream! It is long overdue for me to upload photos so today I had two photo sessions with my models and have about 10-15 shots to show off - after all, being a rank amateur with the camera, I could not make them work. So I managed to make one work and PS keeps rejecting the rest - what am I doing wrong? Can't I just load them straight from iPhoto? Arrgh, I want to scream :angryfire: :angryfire: I have searched help threads here, found one and now I can't find it again! I am so mad and feel very technologically challenged - Save me somebody!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
resize your files to no larger than 6 inches on the short size and 72 dpi.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying again

Roger Dery Cushion Chyrso.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous
I had contacted him about that cushion one then I dawdled while trying to justify it. So I say congratulations to you! What will you do with it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My shy Tan chyrsoberyls - sorry I have not mastered the ability to crop and save it - I can crop in iPhoto, but it doesn't save and reverts back to its original dimension. Do you think there is a "iPhoto for Dummies?"

Tan Chrysoberyls.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1303701965|2904352 said:
My shy Tan chyrsoberyls - sorry I have not mastered the ability to crop and save it - I can crop in iPhoto, but it doesn't save and reverts back to its original dimension. Do you think there is a "iPhoto for Dummies?"
I think that may be redundant

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Dang, you got a lot o' chrysoberyl!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful chrysoberyls!! Do you have the stats on them?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Those ones from Tan look so bright and pure yello without green!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Crop your photos before you resize them, that way you will have better resolution because before cropping there are more pixies in your selected image area to work with for the new size.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some Easter Colors:

Roger Dery Mozambique Blue Tourmaline, Dana Namibian Spess (I tried to enlarge so the inclusions would be visible, but it won't "stick"), and Tan Mahenge.

Next shot is for TL - these are some highly coveted stones I got for cheap on ebay when I was first looking - I'm sure they're worth a fortune now - and yes, they're even uglier IRL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's One for TL - Nice and Brown!.jpg

Tourm, Spess, Spinel.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what am I doing wrong? if I click on edit, it gives me cropping options, but they don't stay. That is, when I save it, it has gone right back to the original version. VL, can you walk me through the steps? I'd be ever so grateful, and would even part with one of my God Awful Uglies for you...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont use iphoto, but i just tried in Preview which I think is on all macs? you can crop and resize there. open the file in preview. use the select tool in the window, then pull down from Tools "crop" Also in Tools is "adjust size". chose "save as" give it a name different from the original file maybe just by appending a number after, make sure the file name ends ".jpg" after you save look at the top of the image window to see that the new name is there. also make sure you note or better, choose, where it saves the file to

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up - resized (hopefully) group shot, and 2.14 ct Burma Spinel - here's where I started noticing variations in colors from real life. For example, the 3.7 ct chryso from Roger Dery is incredibly bright, with no green modifier, but intense color - not washed out at all as it appears in the photo. The cutting is exquisite.

The Mogok spinel is red red. Not pink red, and not orange red, but red. It does have a bit of a window, but I'm fairly confident that it will close when mounted, if I ever get around to it.

Tourm, Spess, Spinel.jpg

Mogok Spinel .jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here are two of my tanzanites. The bottom two photos are of a 6.36 ct elongated cushion cut. This is a deep, vivid blue but came out looking like a blue topaz or something! Go figure! But it did show off its sparks of color in the pic taken from one end. As for the other tanzie, it is a smaller emerald cut (would have to go look up the carat weight and dimensions) I bought from ebay because I loved the cut. It doesn't disappoint. Have no idea what to do with it though.

Tanzanite B&B.jpg

Psychedelic Tanzanite.jpg

Emerald Cut Tanzanite.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll end tonight with a group shot. First of all, there is no black modifier in any of them, just the reflection of the overcast sky. So clockwise:

peach/pink spinel, emerald tanzanite, 2 ct.blue green cuprian tourmaline from Dana, 1.74 ct supernova spess from Barry, bright 2.62 ct round blue spinel (darker IRL, but it sure looks like a pretty light blue in the photos!), and a beeyootyful :love: :love: 2.51 ct rubellite from Gene.

My babies are tired and need to go to bed now. More photos tomorrow maybe.

Say Cheese.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock
B.E.A.U.T.I.FU.L. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

The burst of colors, remind me of a rainbow. Always bring cheer to anyone who sees one. :appl:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! The colours are so vivid!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those colors are TDF !!!!!!
Your light was PERFECT !!!!
GEEEEEEEZ !!!!
THAT's what I'm talkin' about !
I am soooo excited for you and your camera !!!!!!

You have the Coolpix S6000 too, right?
I love mine.
Here's what I do (you can skip this if you don't care)
review your photos in the camera after you take the shot.
Enlarge them how you want using that little knob on the top of the camera next to the shutter.
when you get it enlarged, you can move the view around by using the round thing on the camera body (N,S,E.W)
that way you can center your enlargement.
now click on "Menu" it will ask you if you want to "Save"
choose "yes" and the photo will save in your camera with your other shots :sun:

Now when you upload to your PC the enlarged photo will be on there.
In your computer, when you look at the pictures after they are uploaded,
choose the photos you like and right click.
Choose "resize"
click on "large" (there is a choice: small, medium or large, I choose large)
Your PC will make an identical copy of the picture, only it will be "forum friendly"
When you are ready to upload to Pricescope, just select the one you want that you have marked "Large"
It will upload easy!!!!

This sounds like a lot, but I love this feature in this camera.
Once you get the hang of it, it's sooooo easy !
So you can take a few pics, then sit and edit them in camera before you upload them to your computer.
Cull the ones you don't like, and you're good to go !
Hope this helps!
I can shoot a pictorial later when I get home, if you want.
Me, I learn better with pictures. YMMV

Your colors are outstanding and your stones are GORGEOUS !!!!!!
How I love that Spinel and that Tanzanite !!!!!!
GAHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

talamasca

Great pics and lovely coloured gems.

I'm wanting a brown for my next project and I realy like the colour of the darker one - what stones are they?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, they're so so so so so so so so so pretty!!! And you did great w/your camera, not an easy job with all those different colors. I got drooly drool all over my keyboard.

--- Laurie

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Stunning chrysoberyls! Your Burmese spinel really takes the cake though--I cannot wait to see it set. Gorgeous!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all and its so nice to FINALLY be able to give something back to PS, as I've not been able to provide photos at all!

Ooo-Shiney, you are my photography inspiration as you have come so far so fast - I will try your directions next time I take pics. That may explain why Preview does not work (as VL suggested) - the crop function is the only function in Preview which is grayed out; and why when I do enlarge and crop it bounces right back. I can't wait to try in my camera before uploading.

Talamasca: those brown stones are tourmalines won for next to nothing on ebay. They were represented as peachy or sunset or some other adjective that had no mention of brown. They are easy to find all over ebay. The problem is they're not that brown, sorta like halfway between a pretty color and brown. Don't get me wrong, I love cognac and earth colors, but these just seem muddy...if I knew how to get them to you, I would gladly send them to you and would feel happy knowing they were to be used - unless, of course, TL wants them :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl rounds: 1.11, 1.17, 1.24, 1.27 (two are missing in transit and I can't remember which two) plus the 1.33 trillion. I lurve the trillion, one of the others is a little undersaturated. One is diamond cut, and live and learn, that's not my thing. I'm pretty sure he listed them all as strong greenish yellow.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Crop in preview is greyed out because you havent first selected an area with the "select" tool in the image window

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures and stones just got better and better. What a wonderful load of chrysoberyls all the way up to the gorgeous Burmese spinel and tanzanite. The colour play within them are amazing! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1303731498|2904457 said:
OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those colors are TDF !!!!!!
Your light was PERFECT !!!!
GEEEEEEEZ !!!!
THAT's what I'm talkin' about !
I am soooo excited for you and your camera !!!!!!

You have the Coolpix S6000 too, right?
I love mine.
Here's what I do (you can skip this if you don't care)
review your photos in the camera after you take the shot.
Enlarge them how you want using that little knob on the top of the camera next to the shutter.
when you get it enlarged, you can move the view around by using the round thing on the camera body (N,S,E.W)
that way you can center your enlargement.
now click on "Menu" it will ask you if you want to "Save"
choose "yes" and the photo will save in your camera with your other shots :sun:

Now when you upload to your PC the enlarged photo will be on there.
In your computer, when you look at the pictures after they are uploaded,
choose the photos you like and right click.
Choose "resize"
click on "large" (there is a choice: small, medium or large, I choose large)
Your PC will make an identical copy of the picture, only it will be "forum friendly"
When you are ready to upload to Pricescope, just select the one you want that you have marked "Large"
It will upload easy!!!!

This sounds like a lot, but I love this feature in this camera.
Once you get the hang of it, it's sooooo easy !
So you can take a few pics, then sit and edit them in camera before you upload them to your computer.
Cull the ones you don't like, and you're good to go !
Hope this helps!
I can shoot a pictorial later when I get home, if you want.
Me, I learn better with pictures. YMMV

Your colors are outstanding and your stones are GORGEOUS !!!!!!
How I love that Spinel and that Tanzanite !!!!!!
GAHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for showing me how to use my own camera!! I had no idea!! LOL!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, TL, some pupils eventually outshine their teachers, while most of us never get close!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results