shape
carat
color
clarity

East-West Oval Setting Help!

OECtime

Rough_Rock
Hi all :wavey:

I was last here over a year ago, in a different relationship, looking for a different ring (an OEC, as you can probably tell by my name!)

The good news is, I'm now in a new relationship, and we're talking engagement! I still LOVE OECs, but may want to go a different direction this time around; specifically, to an east-west set oval. I love the curved lines and great finger coverage (especially on my size 7 finger)!

I've found some examples of east-west settings I like, but would love people's advice on the practicality of these settings, or suggestions of any other settings anyone might have bookmarked or set aside.

Without further ado, the setting inspiration:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-pave-halo-shoulders-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-17490

The James Allen setting above says it only goes to a 1.5 stone; does anyone know if they'll customize to go above that limit? I'm also concerned with the hard-looking shape of the shank.

http://www.kwiat.com/fine-diamond-jewelry/oval-diamond-ring-platinum-east-west-direction-three-sided-pave-diamond-band/p/58177/99/0/0

I wouldn't buy from Kwiat - too expensive! - but I love the look. Maybe set too high for everyday wear? (I'm a bit clumsy!)

http://www.sylviecollection.com/engagement/modern-east-west-oval-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-sy630.html

A different kind of pave from the James Allen, but also pretty.

I know it seems like I'm putting the cart before the horse here - find the diamond! - but I would base where I look for the diamond on the setting (i.e. from James Allen if I'm doing that setting, or from another Pricescope vendor if I'm going custom, or doing the Sylvie setting, for example).

Thank you all so much in advance for your words of wisdom!

OECtime

Rough_Rock
Oh wow! I think I'm in love.

If only there were more views!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple saved. First is a more antique style. I love this.

ovalsapphire1.jpg

ovalsapphire2.jpg

ovalsapphire4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a slightly more modern look from Simon G.

_10717.jpg

anners11

Rough_Rock
Here is my all-time favorite EW oval. This was a prices copers at one point but I believe that it was sold. For the life of me I cannot remember who made it. But I think it's flawless.

yellow_ew_oval2.jpg

yellow_ew_oval.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1421882804|3820128 said:

Oh my that antique setting is just perfection! Love E/W settings!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
anners11|1421884186|3820133 said:
Here is my all-time favorite EW oval. This was a prices copers at one point but I believe that it was sold. For the life of me I cannot remember who made it. But I think it's flawless.

yellow_ew_oval2.jpg

Wow thats a pretty setting, good find. Looks leon-esque to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ariel144|1421886029|3820145 said:

I'd love to make this if I could find the ring stone. I accidentally left out this picture.

ovalsapphire5.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning simple halo like the one you posted

8b0b7b997e4128c2e4bc806165d55270.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this isnt a halo, but would be stunning. This sholdt, the pave version

b67b17f5ecce1c6ff2eebb23fa3ccfb1_1_0.jpg

_10719.jpg

OECtime

Rough_Rock
Wow... so many gorgeous settings!

I should specify that I'm a thin band person; I'd like to stay around 1.8 mm, if possible.

So while I love some of the more ornate settings, or the Sholdt, I don't want the shank to be too thick at any point.

Niel - I love that photo with the e-ring and the two wedding rings. I think I'm falling in love with that particular style (like the James Allen one I posted, but with, as you point out, milgraining). Would James Allen really be the place to get milgraining done? Also, I'm still a little concerned about comfort with that shape of shank, but maybe it's just as comfortable as the more rounded shank.

As to budget, it will be about 15k all in, so I'd really like to keep the setting at 3k or under and save the majority of the budget for the best looking (closest to, or over, 1.5) oval I can find.

Keep 'em coming, if anyone has any others.

Thanks all!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OECtime|1421894942|3820216 said:
Wow... so many gorgeous settings!

I should specify that I'm a thin band person; I'd like to stay around 1.8 mm, if possible.

So while I love some of the more ornate settings, or the Sholdt, I don't want the shank to be too thick at any point.

Niel - I love that photo with the e-ring and the two wedding rings. I think I'm falling in love with that particular style (like the James Allen one I posted, but with, as you point out, milgraining). Would James Allen really be the place to get milgraining done? Also, I'm still a little concerned about comfort with that shape of shank, but maybe it's just as comfortable as the more rounded shank.

As to budget, it will be about 15k all in, so I'd really like to keep the setting at 3k or under and save the majority of the budget for the best looking (closest to, or over, 1.5) oval I can find.

Keep 'em coming, if anyone has any others.

Thanks all!

to your point about the setting, from my understanding, they have adjusted it slightly over the years that IRL it isnt as bulky. I mean they say its not even 2mm thick in the shank.

heres one they did will millgraining, you can see it softens the whole look a bit. I know they will do it for free

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-shoulders-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-17510

also if you look at the round version of that setting they have hand shots.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like all 3 you posted except for the head for the Kwiat setting, Seems too unprotected but I love the rest of the ring. I imagine would cost a pretty penny even to try to replicate somewhat. Are the Sylvie settings expensive? I've never heard of them. I may of seen their settings over the years & not been aware, they are nice looking.

The yellow diamond oval with the delicate pave is in fact a Leon Mege creation. A pricescoper had it made for his wife. It was her anniversary present. A shame he had to sell it, its a beautiful piece.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I think I'd much rather have Caysie van Bebber make that setting than James Allen, wouldn't you? Her bench is SO good with milgrain and she is so good with design. She could add some detail to the gallery, for example. I just wouldn't do custom at JA when there are better options.

Oh and true, the antique ring I posted is really more a right hand ring. I just love it so I added it to the thread!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1421897340|3820232 said:
Niel, I think I'd much rather have Caysie van Bebber make that setting than James Allen, wouldn't you? Her bench is SO good with milgrain and she is so good with design. She could add some detail to the gallery, for example. I just wouldn't do custom at JA when there are better options.

Oh and true, the antique ring I posted is really more a right hand ring. I just love it so I added it to the thread!

Would I use her? Totally. Would she be in budget, maybe, but depending on the stone found possibly not.
And some people have voiced concern about her, so I can only say I know I'd use her she's amazing. I don't know about everyone else, especially considering this wouldn't be custom, it's 2k for a halo, and returnable

OECtime

Rough_Rock
I love the CvB stuff I've seen and am a bit of a stickler for details, so working with a designer (if in budget!) might make more sense than trying to customize JA.

Also, I'd do platinum (unless I went rose gold, my other love), so the cost of the JA before any customization is closer to 3k than 2k even before changes.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1421886500|3820149 said:
ariel144|1421886029|3820145 said:

I'd love to make this if I could find the ring stone. I accidentally left out this picture.

I need to reset my 3.19 royal bright blue unheated oval sapphire in this setting except now i want a larger sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results