shape
carat
color
clarity

East/west EC or octagonal asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone. I''ve been lurking around here for a while and it''s finaly coming close to being my turn to get an e ring. My boyfriend and I have decided on the Charlotte riing with sapphires from Kirk Kara but I can''t decide on a center stone. I want to use either an octagonal asscher or an east/west ec but I can''t really picture the east/west ec and think it might not fit in with the ring. What do you guys think? The carat weight i''m looking at for either is around 1.25-1.5, unless of curse he goes bigger. Then yay!

ps-I tried to attach a pic of the charlotte setting but I can''t figure out how. Can someone help me?
35.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here''s is the setting.

ering918.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A square EC would work, but not an oblong one, which is what a E/W setting would hold. I personally would go for an Asscher cut, I think that would look killer.
30.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either would look lovely in that setting! I think there is a thread around here about asschers and square EC. I'll
see if I can track it down.

EDT - I couldnt find the thread I was looking for but if you search on asschers or ec you'll find lots to look at!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I know a square emerald is the same thing as an asscher but my debate is a sqe/asscher OR a east/west regular elongated ec. I REALLY want the regular ec but I just can''t picture it in this setting.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''d go asscher.

I love ECs, I love E-W ECs, so I''m surprising myself a little by saying this, but I think with the horizontal sapphire baguettes there needs to be some sort of contrast in shape. I''d love that setting with an EC in the traditional N-S position.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm. I hadn''t considered a traditional north south ec in it. I had started looking for east west ec''s before I even found this setting so I think in my head I was set to have an asscher or an ec. A north south tradition ec might be beautiful in this! A third option! What to do!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:49:22 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
I know a square emerald is the same thing as an asscher but my debate is a sqe/asscher OR a east/west regular elongated ec. I REALLY want the regular ec but I just can't picture it in this setting.
They are close, but there is a slight difference. And I'm sorry, I only said a regular EC wouldn't work E/W because it's a square setting.
33.gif
Unless you had it changed....

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well I''m going to have my local jewler make the setting. So I could have a different head put in to do a east/west emerald. But I think Elmorton might have been correct that a e/w ec would look too much the same as the sapphires. What do you think?

I''m going to buy the diamond online as when I talked to my local jewler he told me I was listening to too much online and there was no difference between a sq emerald and a asscher.

If i''m correct the difference is the windmills, right?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:25:02 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Well I'm going to have my local jewler make the setting. So I could have a different head put in to do a east/west emerald. But I think Elmorton might have been correct that a e/w ec would look too much the same as the sapphires. What do you think?

I'm going to buy the diamond online as when I talked to my local jewler he told me I was listening to too much online and there was no difference between a sq emerald and a asscher.

If i'm correct the difference is the windmills, right?
Ok, that makes sense now!
2.gif
I think El's right, I think a regular EC would look best N/S, and I think it would be beautiful! I really do LOVE this setting.

And yes, you are right. An Asscher type cut has actual windmills, whereas a SE has what I would call lines, for lack of a better word! They don't look like windmills.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An asscher or EC set north/south will look best in that setting. An EC set east/west will just look weird and this is coming from a person who loves e-w ECs.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:00:00 PM
Author: Chrono
An asscher or EC set north/south will look best in that setting. An EC set east/west will just look weird and this is coming from a person who loves e-w ECs.
agree

SE and asscher are 2 terms for the same stones and they come in a variety of types and styles.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could also split the difference and go with a nicely cut 1.2x ratio EC N/S.
That would rock also.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your comments. Storm I hear your the expert of asschers/ec''s aroundhere. What online venders are best for these shapes? I think I like your idea of splitting it down the middle and doing a shorter ec. I''m having trouble picturing it though. Do regular ec''s have windmills? Would a shorter one have them?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
gog has an edge with step cuts.
They do video, Jon has a good eye for them and he will call a couple in on his dime.

www.goodoldgold.com

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw a cusion and thought that might look really pretty in this setting. I''ve seen an ec in real life but never a asscher or a cushion. I like antique-y looking things. If i''ve read correctly I think I might like a chunky cushion.

Thank you storm. I''m gonna go check out gog now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results