shape
carat
color
clarity

East-West Colored Stone Marquise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lillers

Rough_Rock
Hi! I''m new here, but have been lurking for awhile. I am currently working on a little project that involves a colored gemstone, specifically a marquise cut. This is just all in my head right now, but I am looking for opinions on the type of gem that would work best for this project, as well as where to source it from. Also, any ideas of where to find a simple E-W setting? I am on a limited budget overall. I am a student, and I am making this ring as a graduation present to myself! Thanks for all the help you all can give me.
1.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What colors do you like or not like for starters?

Lillers

Rough_Rock
I know that was a broad topic
2.gif
but I don''t have too much of a preference. I like more saturated colors over lighter colors. I have seen some beautiful spinels and garnets here. Lovely sapphires as well, but probably out of budget! In order of preference I would say:

1. Red/Purple colors
2. Dark blue/purple/green
3. Green

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing you''re only thinking about transparent materials. If you''re not, a tahitian pearl with (so called) peacock overtones would cover most of the colors you mention. Of the transparent stuff, you could actually go for some color change stone (sapphire or garnet maybe; alexandrite would surely be out of your budget), that is if you can''t decide on one color. BTW there are lesser known color change stones besides those mentioned, but experts here would have to help out here to inform you about them.

One method of choosing one color I found usefull is:
1. choose colors you like
2. out of those, eliminate the ones that don''t look very good on you
3. out of those left, eliminate any that you don''t like combined with other colors used (of metal, side stones...)
That might get you closer to your decision.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 9:54:28 PM
Author:Lillers
Hi! I'm new here, but have been lurking for awhile. I am currently working on a little project that involves a colored gemstone, specifically a marquise cut. This is just all in my head right now, but I am looking for opinions on the type of gem that would work best for this project, as well as where to source it from. Also, any ideas of where to find a simple E-W setting? I am on a limited budget overall. I am a student, and I am making this ring as a graduation present to myself! Thanks for all the help you all can give me.
1.gif
Do you have an idea regarding the setting? How well protected will the pointy ends be for example? Try looking at Stuller for stock settings (I have settings from them and have been very happy with them).

I'd suggest a royal rhodolite garnet (raspberry red with a purple/blueish colour shift), or even an amethyst as long as you are very careful with it. I'd suggest contacting some vendors and having them find one for you - marquise is not the easiest shape to find as it's not that sought after.

If you want to cut costs, I would try to find a calibrated stone so that it will fit into a stock setting - custom is expensive!

Make sure that the stone you buy is a good enough quality to justify the setting costs!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 4:39:35 AM
Author: ma re
I''m guessing you''re only thinking about transparent materials. If you''re not, a tahitian pearl with (so called) peacock overtones would cover most of the colors you mention. Of the transparent stuff, you could actually go for some color change stone (sapphire or garnet maybe; alexandrite would surely be out of your budget), that is if you can''t decide on one color. BTW there are lesser known color change stones besides those mentioned, but experts here would have to help out here to inform you about them.

One method of choosing one color I found usefull is:
1. choose colors you like
2. out of those, eliminate the ones that don''t look very good on you
3. out of those left, eliminate any that you don''t like combined with other colors used (of metal, side stones...)
That might get you closer to your decision.
I just noticed I suggested you a marquise cut tahitian pearl, sorry
9.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
E-W Marquise settings are beautiful, but I''ve had a hard time finding inexpensive stock settings in that design. argh...will keep looking...i''d be interested in seeing what everyone else finds.

minebender

Rough_Rock
I like east west settings, too..I think a marquise colored EW ring would make a great gift for yourself.
1.gif
Adwar has several settings you might consider...I don''t know how to attach more than one picture to a post, so I''ll be listing them separately.

Here''s the first and my favorite:

17106LadwarA.jpg

minebender

Rough_Rock
I''ll bet this one would look great with a colored stone, but it would be more costly due to the sidestones.

adwarA.jpg

minebender

Rough_Rock
And this one is a bit different but fun:

adwar2A.jpg

Lillers

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions. I had no clue of where to start, and you all gave me such wonderful ideas
36.gif
I think garnets definitely are in my price range and come in such an array of colors. What vendors would you look at that offer competitive pricing and a good selection of stones? I think I will buy the stone first and then the setting. I do like those Adwar settings a lot! Thanks!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, good question! This is totally on my to do list. (That second setting is gorgeous, btw.)

historychick

Shiny_Rock
A sapphire might not be out of your budget if, Dan Stair has a nice marquis cut on his website that is a little dark, but you said that you did not want a lighter color, all of his stones are exremely well cut and look great! this one is 5x10.1 mm ,1.62 carats and is eye clean. I think it looks great and would get it myself but I have no idea what I''d use it for...I already have too many "projects" in the works. his website is www.customgemstones.com just look under sapphire its the first one, I''ll try to post a pic of it. He also has the ability to custom cut things so feel free to send him an email and ask what he can cut into a marquis in your price range, his prices are very affordable and the quality is great.

sa846.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results