shape
carat
color
clarity

earrings/studs??

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to get a pair of diamond studs. I am pretty nervous I''ll lose one though. Which type of earring back do you prefer? I''ve heard the term friction back and screw back.......Of course I will insure them

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate screwbacks.

They tear up my ears, and the backings get caught in my longer hair and twisted so that I have to keep checking them to make sure they're screwed in fully (they do come loose). They take forever to put in and take off, and they're a pain to clean - and because of all the threading that collects dirt cleaning is all the more necessary. If there's an upside I've yet to find it.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
ok so which kind do you like

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 8:53:03 PM
Author: yssie
I hate screwbacks.

They tear up my ears, and the backings get caught in my longer hair and twisted so that I have to keep checking them to make sure they''re screwed in fully. They take forever to put in and take off, and they''re a pain to clean - and because of all the threading that collects dirt cleaning is all the more necessary. If there''s an upside I''ve yet to find it.
Yep, they do tear up the ears until you get use to them. I posted in your other thread, cemrn, and had mentioned that the screw backs on a pair of my studs striped over time and would loosen up throughout the day. I constantly had to tighten them. The pair I upgraded to are friction back.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heavy friction backs on plain old notched posts. Never come loose, easy to clean.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 8:34:00 PM
Author:cemrn
I''d love to get a pair of diamond studs. I am pretty nervous I''ll lose one though. Which type of earring back do you prefer? I''ve heard the term friction back and screw back.......Of course I will insure them
the locking back.

AllyD

Shiny_Rock
I just lost one of my diamond studs that was a screw back. No idea how it happened. And we didn't get around to insure them yet
32.gif
... so I just got a new pair and they are friction back and feel so much more secure. And I'm going to hurry up and get these bad boys insured.
11.gif
Also the screw back was a pain to get on and off... even after doing it so often. I never liked how it worked. Just IMO.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wear screw back. Outch!!!!
14.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine are plain old notched posts for my 1.2ctw studs. I wear them 24/7 - ocean, pool, shower, sleeping and have NEVER had a probllem.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond studs have screw backs and while it''s true that there is a friction feeling when putting the earring through your pierce, I think they''re probaby the safest. Just MHO.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 12:59:38 AM
Author: stci
I can''t wear screw back. Outch!!!!
14.gif
Your ears become use to them. The first few times i put mine in, my ear holes hurt like crap and my entire ears turned bright red, but after time, it became second nature.

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
I have guardian clutch system on mine- actuallly I have 3 backs on them- a earquilizer to make them not droop, a clutch back then a little rubber back- Thas a bit extreme but I like the guardians with the little rubber peice or a big extra large friction back - mine arent coming off unless someone rips it out of my ear!!!! But you gotta get you some studs!! You will totally love them!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it seems like people feel very strongly about screwbacks! I think I''m one of the few that likes them. I was a chronic earring-loser until my husband got me screwback studs as a wedding gift. I have sensitive ears, and they don''t bother me at all, and they definitely stay put. Maybe it''s because my studs are on the smaller side (.5 ctw)? I think I''d look for the heavy-friction backs on my next pair of studs so they wouldn''t take so long to take out, clean, and put back on.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I answered your other thread too but I do not like screw backs either. I drop the backs all the time, the posts hurt my ears. I far prefer friction backs.

ILoveDiamondsToo

Rough_Rock
la pousette backs!!! They are comfortabe and secure. I got an ear infection from screwbacks and switched to these. BGD made my current 2 ctw studs with la pousette backs and I love them. You do have to get used to putting the backs on.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I use lapousette or guardian backs(protector, etc etc...the concept is the same) but PLEASE MAKE SURE that you replace them regularly. I have had two rust out and fail on me. Meaning, I''m wearing them and "boop!" they fell out of my ear. VERY scary. I don''t soak the earing backs in cleaner each morning like I do my earings but I do clean them occasionally. I am now soaking the backs in WD40 every once in a while(I know, sounds strange--but I think it should prevent the rust and failing).

I purchased a pair of oversized friction backs but they irritate my ears horribly. I like the extra "push" they give to keep the earrings tight against the ear(similar to what the clear spacer backs do when I wear the lapousette) but my ears get all icky and oozy with them. Not sure why.

It''s a trial and error thing--you just have to figure out what works best for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results