shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring size question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'm about to buy these:
http://www.harrywinston.com/go.php/d_Jewels/d03_Earrings,Single-Loop

They come in 3 sizes, 1 of which is beyond my budget. The smallest is 1.18 cwt, and the medium is 1.56 cwt (the largest is 2.45 cwt). Which would you choose for daily use? The price difference is $1,400 (which the rep called "insignificant"!) Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, get the big ones.
You know you want them.
25.gif

BTW I'd be nervous how the prongs leave around 160 degrees of the girdle of a couple of the diamonds unprotected, unsupported.
That doesn't seem like the safest and strongest mechanical design.
But what do I know?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't make me nervous. HW's got to know what it's doing, right?

PS. You want to kick in the extra $4,400?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Harriet. I knew that collection of yours would expand quickly!
2.gif

I guess what I don''t have a feel for is the size of the drop?

What happened with the studs?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This is probably not much help, but, I think they will be beautiful in any size. Just be sure to get the matching necklace!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,
These come first, then the studs...

Miranda,
Is there a matching necklace? I bet the price is outrageous.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
So how many mm''s are the drops on the earring sizes you are considering? I have no idea about the scale of these earrings - like there''s no reference to a quarter or anything in the picture.

I also don''t know what your earlobes look like, how big/small they are, etc.?

Dangling diamond-encrusted earrings don''t strike me as daily office-wear in a conservative profession, unless they are VERY small.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 9:40:34 PM
Author: starryeyed
So how many mm''s are the drops on the earring sizes you are considering? I have no idea about the scale of these earrings - like there''s no reference to a quarter or anything in the picture.

I also don''t know what your earlobes look like, how big/small they are, etc.?

Dangling diamond-encrusted earrings don''t strike me as daily office-wear in a conservative profession, unless they are VERY small.
I''ll find out. How on earth do I measure my earlobes?
1.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 9:43:59 PM
Author: Harriet
I''ll find out. How on earth do I measure my earlobes?
1.gif
Probably the most important is the length from the hole in your ear to the bottom of your earlobe.
5.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That length is approximately 1.2 cm (sorry I''m on metric).
Here are the specs on the earrings:

Small ones - Loop length = 1.2 cm; Max width = 0.7 cm.
Medium one - 1.3 cm; 0.8 cm

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:04:21 PM
That length is approximately 1.2 cm (sorry I''m on metric).
Here are the specs on the earrings:
Small ones - Loop length = 1.2 cm; Max width = 0.7 cm.
Medium one - 1.3 cm; 0.8 cm
Hmmm. Tough call.

Is the "loop length" the overall length, or just the length of the loop itself?

Did you hold these up to your ears in the store at all?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just the loop. I did, but I was too blinded by the biggest ones. The rep tried to convince me that those were the only ones that went with my e-ring.
11.gif

You don't think these are appropriate for work?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:11:21 PM
Just the loop. I did, but I was too blinded by the biggest ones. The rep tried to convince me that those were the only ones that went with my e-ring.
11.gif

You don''t think these are appropriate for work?
You''re funny Harriet. With that enormous e-ring of yours, the sales person probably just saw dollar bills when you walked in the door!

Umm, I don''t want to rain on your parade, but I think these are more like evening-wear. Don''t get me wrong, they are gorgeous, and I totally think you should get them because you''ve been thinking about them for a while, but I would get the biggest I could afford and wear them to go out at night.

For conservative office-wear, I''d wear studs or huggies.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:18:32 PM

11.gif

You''re funny Harriet. With that enormous e-ring of yours, the sales person probably just saw dollar bills when you walked in the door!

Umm, I don''t want to rain on your parade, but I think these are more like evening-wear. Don''t get me wrong, they are gorgeous, and I totally think you should get them because you''ve been thinking about them for a while, but I would get the biggest I could afford and wear them to go out at night.

Haha. Don''t forget that this is HW NY and that my e-ring is at least 3 colour grades below what they carry.
The large ones are stunning, but they cost 9 grand. You''re a bad bad influence.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The above post is mine. I don''t know why it''s anonymous.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, I can''t figure out what is in your avatar picture!

I have to agree with the others that these are dressy earrings for going out, or your wedding. I do think studs are more appropriate for everyday. I saw the matching pendant the other day but you said you weren''t into pendants. I do think it would make a pretty set with the pendant, though, as long as we are spending your money!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as we are spending Harriet''s money...

Harriet honey... HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU BILL??? And woudn''t a necklace and earring SET make those house just that much sparklier?

I definitely think you need the necklace.

And the larger earrings.
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, they look very dressy for every day wear. But perhaps the smallest size wouldn''t be too over the top. Having not seen them it''s hard to say. Go with your gut. But if it were me, I''d get the larger size and wear them for evenings out. But just don''t see them with a business suit. But then again, I am ultra conservative.
20.gif
3.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, these would be every-day-wear only if you sat on a throne every day, grew 18 inch spiraling finger nails, and ordered commoners around.
But I'm sure you'll pull it off, with grace and style!
28.gif

Oh, and an ACA will not look 3 color grades lower than what HW carries, especially under them million-dollar lights.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:23:05 PM
Anonymous Wrote:

Date: 2/10/2007 10:18:32 PM

11.gif

Haha. Don''t forget that this is HW NY and that my e-ring is at least 3 colour grades below what they carry.
The large ones are stunning, but they cost 9 grand. You''re a bad bad influence.
Hi Harriet, I just saw your thread and the earrings from HW are just gorgeous !!

I''d also buy the biggest I could afford because the question of wearing them at work or not seems to me not so much size related as style related. If your work environment allows you to wear this style, then I guess whatever the size it shouldn''t be an obstacle.

If you work in a more conservative environment, then anyway you''ll have to wear them only to go out so, the biggest possible the better
31.gif

Whatever you choose, you can''t go wrong anyway and it will be just gorgeous
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe I should save up for the largest ones. They are around 2.5 cwt and at $9,000, a big jump from the medium ones.

DS,
Those are my silly shih tzus in my avatar.

Gypsy,
Imagine NY Biglaw (hate that word) hours.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:45:22 AM
Hmm, maybe I should save up for the largest ones. They are around 2.5 cwt and at $9,000, a big jump from the medium ones.

Gypsy,

Imagine NY Biglaw (hate that word) hours.

So you live at work.

Sometimes when you get a paycheck and it''s the only little brightspot in an otherwise miserable week. I think that saving up for the big ones would actually make them more meaningful. Savoring the anticipation each check... then BAM you get the BIG ONES. It''s like a little personal celebration.

I think you should go for it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do they hang on you? I would try them on and really see how they look, the balance and weight of them as they hang from the earlobe...

I love them but they are NOT daily wear conservative earrings to me at all. Those are go out on a Sat night to me...

I have very large studs that I wear a lot, and I do wear some hoops with diamonds and such for day, but those HW''s are much more dressy to me. Just my opinion, but I somehow do not see them as an every day earring...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
At least I like my firm and love my practice area.

Diamondfan,
I'm afraid you're right. The problem is -- the HWs are actually cheaper than the studs I want from WF.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore them and I would love a pair too...but I just think you are not going to be able to wear them to work. So, either get them and just use them for evening, and wait on the studs, or get the studs first and have these on your wish list. They are stunning. I do have some pave huggies and some really nice little diamond and diamond/colored stone earrings as well as my studs, and I am a stay at home mom so I do not have the office situation to think of...but if you love them get them and just plan to have a lot of nice evenings out!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And she could possibly wear them for her wedding, too!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 7:35:30 PM
Author: kenny
Oh, get the big ones.
You know you want them.
25.gif

BTW I''d be nervous how the prongs leave around 160 degrees of the girdle of a couple of the diamonds unprotected, unsupported.
That doesn''t seem like the safest and strongest mechanical design.
But what do I know?
Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results