shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring settings question -- expectations

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
My question for you all: when you purchase a pair of earrings, unless specified differently, would you expect the entire setting (heads, posts, and backs) to be the same metal or would you be fine with the backs being some other metal or alloy?

The backstory: I recently bought a pair of studs, which I love, and the settings are made in-house by the jeweler (not stock pieces from Stuller etc). I got them in platinum due to a nickel sensitivity, which the jeweler knew about because I asked about their WG alloys prior to making the purchase. Got them, they're awesome. Overall, none of the problems I usually experience when wearing earrings, but now and then I felt an odd "shooting itch" in my earlobes and I did notice a bit of gunk on the posts when I took them out to clean them. I never thought twice about it until I actually looked at one of the backs one day and saw it is stamped "18K." So, apparently my platinum settings came with WG backs. Now, I know there's probably not a lot of demand for platinum backs and I'm sure they're comparatively expensive, but I did pay a premium for these settings. I got a replacement pair of backs in sterling silver at a local store and there has been no itch or gunk since, so I'm pretty sure I was having a mild reaction to the original backs. I just don't feel like these SS backs are as secure, for some reason, and I'm constantly paranoid about losing an earring. So...is this something you wiould take up with the jeweler, or just let it be? Is it standard not to get plat backs with plat settings? I'm particularly annoyed that they sent WG knowing I can't wear it, but I'm just not sure it's worth making a stink about because, well, they're just earring backs. I'll probably drop one and lose it by the end of the week anyway, you know? Thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely address it. You paid for platinum earrings and that should include the backs. I would take the backs in and say, "I am sure this was not intentional, but someone accidentally put 18k wg backs on my earrings, and as you may recall, the reason I paid more for platinum settings was because I am allergic to white gold."

This is a matter of principle. They owe you platinum backs.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I would absolutely address it. You paid for platinum earrings and that should include the backs. I would take the backs in and say, "I am sure this was not intentional, but someone accidentally put 18k wg backs on my earrings, and as you may recall, the reason I paid more for platinum settings was because I am allergic to white gold."

This is a matter of principle. They owe you platinum backs.

Yep. I like the way you worded it. It's like you are giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake- at the same time- it needs to be fixed.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I agree.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree w DS and Amy - you should get what you specified on the order. Its hard to go back and ask for something that you THOUGHT was understood, but the softer approach, as DS scripted for you, sounds very amenable to me. You are giving them the opportunity to correct it (nicely!) ...without freakin' that they ripped you off! (see how that went from calm.... to RAGE all in one sentence?? Don't do that at the store!) lol!

I have a similar situation to deal with and its hard to speak up when you wonder if you made an error, but in your case, I think you were pretty clear from the start, specifying allergy issues direct to the jeweller.

Good luck!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
+1 the backs should match.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I really don't think they meant to rip me off, it just didn't seem correct. But I started second-guessing myself and thinking maybe they just don't make platinum backs or something...when I went to the local findings place, they said they don't carry them, only YG, WG, and SS. Now that I know I'm not off-base, I will write a polite email to the vendor and see what happens. :))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want the platinum backs too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results