shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring upgrade - cushion help!

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Hello lovely PS-ers,

My fiancé and I are currently in the process of upgrading my e-ring. We're looking for a LG cushion diamond but are having so much trouble choosing. I've been through the list of lab vendors and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? I'be been hanging out on Alex Park's page but haven't been able to nab anything.

With that said, how does one pick the perfect cushion? Can anyone help guide in the right direction?

We are looking for NOT antique or scissor cut, just a brilliant cushion ( not too much, if any, crushed ice look). Something in the 2-3CT range with a nice pillowy shape. High colour, D/E preferred with no visible inclusions, and also no secondary colours (I have seen a lot with either blue or brown tinge).
If the cushion is more square-ish it'd be set with tapered baguettes. If its slightly elongated, we'd set with round side stones.

I think this is so confusing because the price range on LGDs is so HUGE- how are we to know what a good deal is? I have seen cushions in the range of 1100-1500 with Alex Parks, and some on Ritani/Adiamor for 5k+ with very similar specs. Do I find something with an online vendor? Do I keep waiting for something to pop up with some of these IG vendors? My local jeweller seems to have less inventory and higher prices in general (we are in Canada), but maybe I should give him some more time to see what he returns?

For those of you who are cushion lovers and have had success finding the perfect LGD, please help! Also, do you find it better to set with the vendor or find your own setter? I have worked with DK in the past and have been super happy with his work!

TIA for the suggestions folks. I am all ears!

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert by any means, but I’ve bought a lot of diamond jewelry and recently started buying lab diamonds. I personally like Ritani the best for their prices and selection. I haven’t found any Ritani settings that I like, so I plan to have my two lab diamonds set by Caysie (CvB) and David Klass. I think you can also contact Alex Parks to see if he has anything in his inventory for you, instead of waiting for his posts.

Generally I consider lab diamonds to be a good deal if they cost in the range of $600-800 a carat. I have been able to find beautiful large stones in that range. However I am ok with color up to a G so maybe for D/E you will pay a bit more. If I was shopping for an engagement stone, I would probably be ok with spending more. You could look for some lab diamonds on Ritani/etc. and post the links for them here for opinions- but beware that there are lurkers that can snatch the stones up, so only do that when you’re close to being ready to buy. After you buy the stone, see it in person for yourself to make sure that you love it, before deciding on a setting.

I bought a lab cushion from Ritani recently (still waiting for it to arrive) but I’m not really a cushion expert. Hopefully some cushion experts will drop by with some recommendations!

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert by any means, but I’ve bought a lot of diamond jewelry and recently started buying lab diamonds. I personally like Ritani the best for their prices and selection. I haven’t found any Ritani settings that I like, so I plan to have my two lab diamonds set by Caysie (CvB) and David Klass. I think you can also contact Alex Parks to see if he has anything in his inventory for you, instead of waiting for his posts.

Generally I consider lab diamonds to be a good deal if they cost in the range of $600-800 a carat. I have been able to find beautiful large stones in that range. However I am ok with color up to a G so maybe for D/E you will pay a bit more. If I was shopping for an engagement stone, I would probably be ok with spending more. You could look for some lab diamonds on Ritani/etc. and post the links for them here for opinions- but beware that there are lurkers that can snatch the stones up, so only do that when you’re close to being ready to buy. After you buy the stone, see it in person for yourself to make sure that you love it, before deciding on a setting.

I bought a lab cushion from Ritani recently (still waiting for it to arrive) but I’m not really a cushion expert. Hopefully some cushion experts will drop by with some recommendations!

This is actually very helpful, thank you so much for the response. Exactly the type of advice I was looking for.

Please do share your cushion when it arrives from Ritani! I will scope it out and post a few that look good to my eye. A few others here seem to have a lot more experience with these and can maybe provide some feedback.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@torontocatlady - what an adorable kitty!

I just purchased a 2.15 G SI1 from Brian Gavin Diamonds. I spent hours scouring their website bc they seemed to have the best prices. Paul Gian of Beyond4cs.com helped me choose my stone. I also emailed someone (maybe Tom) at niceice.com. I emailed Paul about three times - each time with different stones of gradually increasing size. In my last email, wrote something like, "I really really really like the light return on the 2.15 ..." so I pulled the trigger. $1240.

Yes, cushion prices are all over the place. On BGD, the prices also drop with time. I had my eye on a 1.51 H VVS2 which was $1100ish. It's now listed at $807.25.

Although Paul and many others attest to the craftsmanship of BGD, I used a local LA dealer who I grew to trust as I visited the LA Diamond District - Sam Chamsi at Diamond Central which is the same 607 Hill Street building as DKlass.
I walked in saying I wanted and east-west setting in yellow gold, double band or thicker band, blah blah blah ... after 90 minutes of handling numerous other settings with videos and photos, I ended up choosing the OPPOSITE of all that. It was so helpful for me to handle and see all the options with my stone in hand.

Sam drew up the CAD, we made revisions over FaceTime, and within 4 weeks, I had my ring. White gold setting. $600.

Regarding my photos, I'm wearing a light blue sweater which is being reflected in the stone. Although SI1, it's eyeclean, and the inclusions feel like personality freckles. It gives off plenty of fire and light return, as far as I'm concerned, although I'm no expert. I don't see black bands or a bow tie. Overall, I couldn't be more thrilled.

I highly recommend Paul Gian with Beyond4cs; Emily, Lesley and Jaimie at Brian Gavin Diamonds; and Maria and Sam Chamsi at Diamond Center. I realize these aren't necessarily PS-vetted vendors, and this was simply my experience.

Here are some BGD cushions that might fit your criteria. They aren't vetted by an expert. I just thought you might be interested to see BGD's offerings since you didn't mention them.

2.03 D VS1 $1822.43
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40338494193725

2.01 E VVS2 $2116.53 (My stone's video was the same style as this vendor.)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40499699810365

2 EVS2 $1559.25 (although this might have a lot of light leakage)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40338506514493

Good luck on your search!

IMG_0371.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 234

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@torontocatlady - what an adorable kitty!

I just purchased a 2.15 G SI1 from Brian Gavin Diamonds. I spent hours scouring their website bc they seemed to have the best prices. Paul Gian of Beyond4cs.com helped me choose my stone. I also emailed someone (maybe Tom) at niceice.com. I emailed Paul about three times - each time with different stones of gradually increasing size. In my last email, wrote something like, "I really really really like the light return on the 2.15 ..." so I pulled the trigger. $1240.

Yes, cushion prices are all over the place. On BGD, the prices also drop with time. I had my eye on a 1.51 H VVS2 which was $1100ish. It's now listed at $807.25.

Although Paul and many others attest to the craftsmanship of BGD, I used a local LA dealer who I grew to trust as I visited the LA Diamond District - Sam Chamsi at Diamond Central which is the same 607 Hill Street building as DKlass.
I walked in saying I wanted and east-west setting in yellow gold, double band or thicker band, blah blah blah ... after 90 minutes of handling numerous other settings with videos and photos, I ended up choosing the OPPOSITE of all that. It was so helpful for me to handle and see all the options with my stone in hand.

Sam drew up the CAD, we made revisions over FaceTime, and within 4 weeks, I had my ring. White gold setting. $600.

Regarding my photos, I'm wearing a light blue sweater which is being reflected in the stone. Although SI1, it's eyeclean, and the inclusions feel like personality freckles. It gives off plenty of fire and light return, as far as I'm concerned, although I'm no expert. I don't see black bands or a bow tie. Overall, I couldn't be more thrilled.

I highly recommend Paul Gian with Beyond4cs; Emily, Lesley and Jaimie at Brian Gavin Diamonds; and Maria and Sam Chamsi at Diamond Center. I realize these aren't necessarily PS-vetted vendors, and this was simply my experience.

Here are some BGD cushions that might fit your criteria. They aren't vetted by an expert. I just thought you might be interested to see BGD's offerings since you didn't mention them.

2.03 D VS1 $1822.43
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40338494193725

2.01 E VVS2 $2116.53 (My stone's video was the same style as this vendor.)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40499699810365

2 EVS2 $1559.25 (although this might have a lot of light leakage)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-grown-cushion-diamond?variant=40338506514493

Good luck on your search!

IMG_0371.jpg

Thank you so much! This is also very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time and wow, beautiful ring!

I have been going through the inventory at BGD and yowza they have some gorgeous stones!!

Holli

Rough_Rock
Have you searched StoneAlgo? I narrowed down my specifications on the website after much research on cushions and found (what I think) is a beautiful stone from Friendly Diamonds. They will list online retailers that meet your requirements and you can view them. I received a 3 carat square cushion from Friendly Diamonds and the communication was excellent. I plan on setting at a local jeweler. Disclaimer: I’m no Diamond expert :)

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of those who assisted. I ended up trawling through the various options and sent a message to Yekutiel @ IDJ for some help choosing between our top options. He's helped us pick a beautiful cushion and I can't wait to share it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results