shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gr8flmo

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve been reading/lurking for a bit and have learned a lot. Thank you all.

My BF & I started the process on Friday and picked a Gottlieb & Sons setting (#27038). (Attachment shown in gold - we will ultimately choose white gold or platinum). We are working with a local mom & pop jeweler. They have been in business over 60 years.

We requested a blue sapphire, rather than a diamond, as the primary stone. The jeweler is requesting round sapphires 1 ct. size (6mm), or slightly larger for us to look at.

Based on my readings it appears that the methods available for "grading" gemstones are not as rigorous as those used in evaluating diamonds. I also understand the advice regarding choosing a stone that "speaks to me". I also understand that enhancing the stone using heat treatments is OK (but it should be disclosed).

While I''m not overly picky, I would like to be sure we are purchasing a quality stone. We have every intention of getting it appraised - but I''m wondering when is the best time to do this? Should we have the stone evaluated prior to setting? Obviously we are not looking at a 5 figure purchase price. I hoping we can get something nice for between $3,000 and $4,000 (ring and setting).
I''ve learned to ask about the return policy - is this where we can expect to be protected if there is a problem with the stone/ring?

I have so many other questions - but I''ll stop here for now.

Thanks in advance,
Mo

2009-11-27 ring.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it appraised before I get it set. It just makes more sense that way.

In addition, if it''s disclosed as being heat treated, you still want to confirm that it''s traditional heat only. Not beryllium infused or dyed as well.

There are many beautiful sapphires in the eyecandy threads if you want to see what a quality sapphire looks like.

Happy gem hunting!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Go around and look at stones through a loop, and you will get a better idea of what you like...and what looks good. I was surprised at some of what I was offered at the price at one of my local shops. Inclusions can tell you it''s a natural stone. I ended up going to one of the cutters commonly used here, because I could not find what I wanted at the local shop, and got a better price as well...by a long shot. The local store offered me 1.75 to 2.0 carat stones in the price range of $2500 to over $4000...way more than what I wanted to spend at least on the high end. This was for a color-changing sapphire however. I think you can definitely come in at the price you are looking for, if you keep your options open!

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do your homework on the different sapphire treatments out there. There is beryllium heating and traditional heating. For an e-ring, you might want to go with an unheated (untreated) stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on homework on treatments. Check out diffusion, traditional heating and unheated. Also review the many different shades of blue to see which one you like best (light, medium, darkish). Also check out if you like it clear or velvety. Not to forget if you like it to glow with an electric blue colour or be subtle and pastel.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, also try to evaluate the gem in all lighting as much as possible. Take it out of the "showroom" into a normal room or a bathroom if they let you, to see how it does in normal indoor lighting and low light conditions. And take it outside or by a window too. The last thing you want is to buy it, set it, and realize you don''t like how it looks in some lighting. Ideally you want your ering to look beautiful all the time!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Love the setting...can''t wait to see it with your stone!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 10:58:50 PM
Author: bookworm240
Love the setting...can''t wait to see it with your stone!!!

Me too.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You got some good advice, so I''ll just suggest some things regarding color. While you should absolutely get what you love, it''s also a good idea to consider an overall ring design when choosing the main stone. Your setting has an antique feel to it, with scrolls on the band and millgrain edges, so I think that some gentle-looking sapphire (in both color and clarity) might look great in it - but that''s not a rule or something. Also, if the setting will be white gold/platinum, I''d be careful with dark tones cause the contrast between the two (stone and metal) can become so strong that the stone looks even darker than it really is. But those are all just suggestions and friendly advice
2.gif

gr8flmo

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much - this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for.

I''m so glad some of you like the setting - the antique look is what we were going for. I''m also glad I have some specific questions to ask about the treatments.

The point about the contrast between stone and setting is really helpful - it''s the type of thing I wouldn''t even think of.

I will post when it is all done.

Mo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results