shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Search / <$30k

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
I bought the H&A. Thanks for all the help in the selection process. Now to the setting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Don't forget to come back and show us the finished product! This thread has me totally excited and curious. Congratulations!

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
FancyIntense|1454645769|3987039 said:
Don't forget to come back and show us the finished product! This thread has me totally excited and curious. Congratulations!

Will do for sure!

Gypsy, I still have a return window of one week. I do love the stone but was wondering whether any better cushion has hit your radar in the past 2 weeks. Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I haven't seen anything. The H&A you picked is a stunner and has nice spread to boot.

You know I still adore that E, and I know that the inclusions made you nervous but they were completely harmless and the stone completely eyeclean. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-763094 It's the same size as the H&A (7.3 square) so all you would really be gaining is E color. And you have to decide if that's worth anything to you. BUT I think you already did that, and chose the H. So I think you just have a case of the jitters. It's a lot of money.

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1455076207|3989206 said:
No, I haven't seen anything. The H&A you picked is a stunner and has nice spread to boot.

You know I still adore that E, and I know that the inclusions made you nervous but they were completely harmless and the stone completely eyeclean. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-763094 It's the same size as the H&A (7.3 square) so all you would really be gaining is E color. And you have to decide if that's worth anything to you. BUT I think you already did that, and chose the H. So I think you just have a case of the jitters. It's a lot of money.

I just bought the E as well. I'll pick the winner once I see them side-by-side. Do you know a diamond expert / jeweler / appraiser in SF that would do a paid assessment for me? Schreve & Co perhaps? Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not Shrieve.

Yes, go to Campbell to Joe Escobar. Ask for Erik or Mia. If neither are available all their staff are great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comparing side by side is smart.
I can meet you at Joe E with my ASET if you want as well. It's something I'll do for people occasionally.

What's going on with this story!? I'm on pins and needles. Did you see the two side by side? Which did you pick? :cheeky: :wavey: :love:

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1455504737|3991193 said:
I can meet you at Joe E with my ASET if you want as well. It's something I'll do for people occasionally.

That's very generous of you. I'd definitely appreciate your opinion if we could find a time that works. I was able to push back the decision date and will probably get the stones by the weekend.

Is there a better way to coordinate than posting date / time here? Would posting a temp email address violate PS policy?

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
MoreCaratsThanaSalad|1455679291|3991900 said:
What's going on with this story!? I'm on pins and needles. Did you see the two side by side? Which did you pick? :cheeky: :wavey: :love:

Hey MCTS, I should get the diamonds by the weekend and will be sure to provide an update thereafter! thanks
:)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lmwsp13|1455739521|3992183 said:

That's very generous of you. I'd definitely appreciate your opinion if we could find a time that works. I was able to push back the decision date and will probably get the stones by the weekend.

Is there a better way to coordinate than posting date / time here? Would posting a temp email address violate PS policy?

Yes, but I am Plizzard on Diamondbistro, you can find one of my listings on there and contact me that way. It's a loupe hole.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1455747861|3992260 said:
Lmwsp13|1455739521|3992183 said:

Yes, but I am Plizzard on Diamondbistro, you can find one of my listings on there and contact me that way. It's a loupe hole.

Loupe hole :lol: We have diamonds on the brain!

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
So, I'd like to revisit setting while I wait to review the stones and I'd love to get feedback from the group. I'm going to go with either SK or VC -- both prelim quotes came out at $4k. I'm probably going to go with a low setting but wanted to get your thoughts on the following designs. Finger size is 4.5 and she would like a delicate band.
thanks!

# 1

novo2.jpg

novo1.jpg

novo3.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down, my favorite is #3 by SK. It's stunning and there is just something about his work that is superb to me. Of course VC won't do you wrong, so you're in good hands all the way around.

Let us know what you choose!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
#3 for me. It allows a flush fit band, the others do not. #4 with pave added to the shank is my second choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Argh, I deleted my post. I am updating from my viewpoint. I didn't take pictures. Please don't kill me. Maybe LMW will have???

Short version: Met with LMW (that's what I'm shortening his name to) at Joe E with the following two diamonds:

1. https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-01-Carat-E-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-2LNYRZ
2. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2.01ct-h-vs1-platinum-square-cushion-handa-diamond.html

Observations:

1. The H was a flash light it was so bright in terms of fire. Serious wattage on this faceting, could easily blind someone. Cons: When set on a four prong solitiare looks just like a 1.4 carat round. Neutral observations: H tint was visible in comparison to the E. But that was to be expected with a 4 grade difference. Cons: It really is a pricey stone for the color and clarity and the performance difference was in not enough (in my opinion) to compensate for the premium the cutting precision demands and it's not square enough.

2. The E is the nicest 4 main cushion I have ever seen. Dazzling. It's just flat out gorgeous in terms of faceting and cut. Small table, high crown, fire and both small flashes and large ones. Neutral observations: The center X patterning does mean that in comparison to the 8 main faceting of the H the center of the H appeared brighter because the arrows are smaller so contrast zones are smaller. Cons: while completely eyeclean there are black crystals on the table and crown so it may not be mind clean.

We also saw a Joe H 2 carat that was less bright. Still nice. I'd give it a B+/A-. But to the naked eye and in comparison to the other two which ASET out fantastically there was a performance difference.

We were able to narrow down setting preferences.

I think some version of these is going to be the right fit. Handforged Cathedral Solitiare with pave on 2mm platinum shank and basket, no donut and flush fit, with double claw prongs. I also think the LMW liked my v-cut pave style a lot so that might be something to incorporate.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems
https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/solitaires/401-cushion-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-detail
https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/solitaires/solitaire-antique-cushion-micro-pave-ring-detail

As always due to personal experience I recommend Steven Kirsch for the setting, but ultimately the choice is not mine. :wink2:

Erik was awesome as always.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO additional stones for consideration.

First choice: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-795928 Put on hold. I think it will ASET out strong. If JA won't get you one before purchase, see if they'll do one after, but before sending to you. It solves all the mindclean issues. You are sacrificing a little spread for it (the others were 7.3 square this one is 7 x 7.3).

Other options:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-805140
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-789766 If mindclean. No black inclusions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the time Gypsy. It was a pleasure meeting you.

For the group - below are the side-by-side pics. H is on the L,L,R in pic 1,2,3, respectively. Same size but color difference really noticeable in the 3rd. Note that there is a film over both diamonds in the first 2 pics.
The H goes back to the vendor but I'm going to hang onto the E, which will serve as a benchmark for comparison purposes.

F/VS1 is probably my sweet spot but this is a game of trade offs. I'd like to keep spread above 7.3^2. Doesn't have to be square. Decision deadline is 2 weeks and will go with the E unless I find something better.

Re the setting, Gypsy described it perfectly. Planning to go wth SK.

_2113.jpeg

_2114.jpeg

_2115.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that is a nice diamond choice if a better stone does not come up!

I think Victor has rings that you perhaps did not consider, and I'd certainly use him if I lived in CA.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jocelyn-with-scalloped-basket

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-alaria-solitaire-with-flush-stems

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-with-pave

He can make virtually any of the rings you posted, not just the ones on his site. But of the ones you posted, I like #3 and that is a fairly standard style that either of them can make.

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Hey all, so here is the finished product. As you can see I flip-flopped on design. I saw a VC / SK halo in person and was very impressed with the delicateness and craftsmanship that, to me, wasn't obvious from online pics. I ultimately decided that the quality differentiation would be more apparent in the halo design. I was planning to go with SK initially but pulled the diamond back and went with VC for several reasons relating to fit, word of mouth and expected quality. I'm thrilled with how it turned out and how bright and white the diamond is. Thanks again for everyone's help along this journey and shout out to Gypsy.

2.01ct cushion, 1.00 ratio, E, VS2, VC Emilya, low-profile, delicate halo, cathedral shank, no diamonds on basket or doughnut, non-flush fit

_1077.png

_1078.png

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lmw, I have been following your engagement ring journey and I have to say, you're fiance is so lucky to be marrying you. Rarely do I see someone put in this much time and effort into finding the perfect stone and making the perfect ring. The finished product is beyond amazing. Congratulations!!!

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
The cushion will be lovely. If she likes gold, I would suggest maybe a mix or even rose gold. There are some lovely rose gold settings that would go nicely, also, please print out the answers to your questions that gypsy asked. They were very sweet, you sound very in love and I wish the best for the both of you. Coming from someone who has been married fifteen years and with my husband for 23 years, that print out is some thing I would keep forever.

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
Whoops, should have followed the whole thread...I was just so enamored with how you answered those questions....so sweet! What a lovely choice! She must be so happy.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock
Really lovely, she must be thrilled with it! Congratulations

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results