shape
carat
color
clarity

E ring help PLEASE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jointlock

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I really need some help. A little backround firstly. Divorced dad, 2 kids (1 in college, 1 in hs) Never recieived a peenys worth of support. I am the Mom, Dad, chief cook and bottle washer. Therefore I am on a REALLY tight budget (about 4000 total) and the purchase I make has to work well for size/quality, and in the event of a ripoff etc there will be NO budget for the purchase for a long time. Would like to get engaged at Xmas. 2nd time for me, 1st for her. I am very lucky, she is amazing, and want to get her the best I can. Wish I had 20,000 for the ring; but its tough doing it all alone.

That said I have spent weeks checking out the B&M route, mostly not very good. Found 2 decent sources, but it seems the internet might be a much better value. Can anyone explain how a blue nile works, is there a danger of a ripoff, losing my funds etc?

Second question is their site lists several ideal or very well cut stones, but no culet. How can a round be missing the culet but still be well cut?

I am trying for a 1ct round, princess or asscher; she likes all three. I might have to drop to .75, but want to get her the best I can. This purchase has to work, its my only shot. It took over a year to save for this, so I have to make it work. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hello, jointlock! Welcome to PS!
35.gif
You''ve come to the right place for help. You might get more answers to your questions if you post in the Rocky Talky section. You can press the "message admin" button and ask them to move your thread. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Miss Anchor says, you would get more replies in Rocky Talk than here, admin can move this topic for you no problem. Welcome too
35.gif

Well done on your savings for the diamond, we here can help you to spend it wisely hopefully! Regarding shape, a round is easier to judge cut quality as there are more agreed on dimensions that a good cut should have, more difficult with a Princess or Asscher. With colour and clarity, step cuts such as Asschers can show more inclusions and colour than a well cut round, Princesses may fall depending on many factors between the 2. Most bang for the buck in a round could be about an SI1 or SI2 for clarity, many of these can be eyeclean, colour a nice middleground can be an H or you can even go to an I or J if GIA or AGS graded and still have a very white looking diamond, if some blue fluorescence so much the better in my opinion. For a round, GIA and AGS lead the way for lab grading, most stick to those as they are the industry standard. Cut has to be the top priority for a beautiful diamond, a diamond which isn't well cut can look dull and dead. However a Hearts and Arrows branded cut isn't necessary unless that is what you want, what is called a nice make can often be a beautiful choice, learn about the best proportions for a round, and choose accordingly. Look at the tutorials and read up, also there is a search tool which should give you all the info you need. Also you can ask if you have any questions.

Online purchasing is the way many of us shop for diamonds, prices are lower and expertise abundant with the vendors, plus all the cut quality info you need to make an informed choice. Also we can post suggestions for you to give you an idea of what to look for, you can post any you find for us to critique!

There is probably more to buying a diamond than you originally thought, but put the time and research in and you can admire the fruits of your savings for many years to come! Fancy cuts are harder to judge by the numbers, but there is help and advice out there, Idealscope Images are very useful here, also many online vendors can send you a picture to help you.

Blue Nile is a good vendor, if you do a search you can read up on many's opinions and experiences with them, I would also suggest you look at the vendors page and see what is available with those guys.

Good Old Gold
Whiteflash
James Allen
Wink Jones at Winfields
Engagement Rings Direct
Pearlmans

I hope this helps.

Quick search brought up this one, it is $100 or so over budget, but it would get you a well cut diamond of over a carat as an example
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-78287.htm

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to welcome you to PS and say that you sound like a super dad! Your GF sounds like a lucky, lucky lady. $4000 is a great budget and you will be able to get her something that she will absolutely adore. By going with Whiteflash, Good Old Gold or one of the other great online vendors, you will be able to stretch your dollar the most and get a diamond of much higher quality than you would find in a typical mall store. Good luck!

35.gif
35.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 10:36:04 AM
Author:Jointlock
Hi,
I really need some help. A little backround firstly. Divorced dad, 2 kids (1 in college, 1 in hs) Never recieived a peenys worth of support. I am the Mom, Dad, chief cook and bottle washer. Therefore I am on a REALLY tight budget (about 4000 total) and the purchase I make has to work well for size/quality, and in the event of a ripoff etc there will be NO budget for the purchase for a long time. Would like to get engaged at Xmas. 2nd time for me, 1st for her. I am very lucky, she is amazing, and want to get her the best I can. Wish I had 20,000 for the ring; but its tough doing it all alone.

That said I have spent weeks checking out the B&M route, mostly not very good. Found 2 decent sources, but it seems the internet might be a much better value. Can anyone explain how a blue nile works, is there a danger of a ripoff, losing my funds etc?

Second question is their site lists several ideal or very well cut stones, but no culet. How can a round be missing the culet but still be well cut?

I am trying for a 1ct round, princess or asscher; she likes all three. I might have to drop to .75, but want to get her the best I can. This purchase has to work, its my only shot. It took over a year to save for this, so I have to make it work. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to PS Jointlock and congratulations on your upcoming proposal!

The culet size is listed on a cert and your diamond's culet should be pointed (no culet), very small, small or medium because these are not visible to the naked eye.
More here
35.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Try the search by cut tool here Search by cut to play around and see what you will get for your money. Also don''t forget that as a Pricescope member you get a little discount at the associated vendors: Whiteflash, James Allen, Good Old Gold offer a discount for wire transfer, not a PS discount.

Good luck and I think you will get something that will knock her socks off for your budget!

a

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
For 4000 you are going to get a wonderful Ering out of this. What you are going to end up with is a ring that would most likely be twice as much in the mall stores....and you will get a great certification most likely. Buying online is the best, most honest and cost effective way you can buy a diamond. Your girlfriend is a lucky woman. Remember you can always get a GREAT stone, and a simple solitaire 14K setting for about $100.. She can than upgrade in the future. The diamond is the centerpiece of the ring...the rest can always come later.

Some others mentioned some great sources. I used dirtcheapdiamonds.com or DCD as it is most lovingly called here..it is a James Allan company. They were awesome to deal with and very knowledgeable and helpful.

Also.. NOTE: 1 Carat is a magic number where the price of a stone will increase in cost. If you go with a .90-.99 well cut stone, the cost per carat may be less and be a better value. Trust me... most will think its well over a carat if the stone is well cut.

35.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Some possibilities:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2382/ (.907 J SI2)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2238/ (.906 J SI1)

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-78290.htm (1.07 J SI2) (this maximizes size as long as you/she are not too color sensitive - J''s do face up very white) - it would also be slightly less $ with the PS/wire discount

http://www.winkjones.com/specials/sa_diamonds.php (1.03 H I1) (this might be my pick if I were color sensitive...the inclusions seem eyeclean and it''s a great size, cut and color)

Good luck! :)

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Have no fear!!! You can get a GREAT ring for that price!!! Our budget was even lower!! We got a .83ct G SI2 (completly eye clean) from James Allen for about 2.5k....but I think actually closer to 3k. GIA cert. Ideal cut. Believe me....since it''s cut better than most mall store stones it looks JUST as large as their 1ct''s!!!! The great thing about buying online is you can find those little off ct''s like .84 or .85. Most B & M''s that don''t sell loose stones round up or down
7.gif
The site where I got my stone is www.jamesallen.com , use the advanced search because that lets you browse by cut as well. If you got something like my stone that would leave you with 1k for the setting!!! You could get a great setting with that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! I am so happy for you! You''ve already been given some good suggestions, but I''ll add a few more. I like Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash because their selection of diamonds are top notch and the service and return policies are excellent. No possibility of being burned as far as I am concerned.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-122959.htm# .91 I SI1 $3188. (with wire discount)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2241/ .84 I VS2 $3321

For a very nice tutorial on diamond quality (cut, color, clarity, and carat weight) with pictures, look here:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ve been given great advice and suggestions by all the ladies, so I can only add this. Do not worry about the amount of money you are or aren''t spending on this ring. You are doing the best you can, and giving it with love. What more could a woman want?
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 10:36:04 AM
Author:Jointlock
Hi,

oh this is so sweet, you''re so sweet!! lucky girl!!! You''ve come to the right place.... you''ll get the best quality here online. I second the idea of staying *just* under a carat, but don''t sacrifice cut - it''s the most important!!

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I''d definitely consider SI1 or SI2 as long as it''s eye clean!! My engagement ring is an SI2 with feathers as the graders (hidden under one of the double prongs). Don''t get scared off by what the maul stores consider to be ''eyeclean'' SI''s!!

What sort of ring would she like? If you want diamonds in the band then you may have to compromise on the centre stone? However, for a metal only setting I really like the fineline by le which whiteflash do as a really classic cathedral setting (very Cartier-like) as I''m not keen on some of the very high set ''Tiffany'' settings I see advertised.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
One last thing... I color is a good value stone that can be set in yellow gold, white gold or platinum as long as it is a true high grade I. It will face up white enough to be set in light metals.. Look at VS - SI in clarity, but make sure if you are in the SI range that the stone is eye clean..which means you can only see imperfections with a loupe.

I only trust GIA and AGS when it comes to grading...but ultimately when it comes to the 4 c's.. they all stand for the same to me.... Cut, Cut, Cut and Cut.

Good luck,
JIM

Jointlock

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am overwhelmed with how nice and great all you folks are. I have spent weeks learning, researching and making the rounds to all the stores. I have been having sleepless nights about this whole thing. Xmas this year wasn''t my target date for the engagement, I was aiming for spring 07, but Xmas and her B''day (1/8) seemed way more appropriate. Besides we have been exclusive for 2.5 yrs and I didn''t want to wait anymore. I really love her so much, and she didn''t have an easy road, raised her kid sister virtually alone and put herself through grad school. No one ever treated her well before, but I have been remedying that. Maybe thats why I have put some emotional attchments to "the ring" that aren''t real, but I just want to see her smile (and hopefully cry tears of happiness) We make such an awesome team, so I have been going crazy with this whole thing. I just wanted to say a giant "THANKS" to everyone for all the help and guidance; I will take it to heart. Any other suggestions woud be greatly appreciated. Chris.

You know I have to love her since I sold my golf clubs and prized trumpet to raise the extra funds quickly, but boy is she worth it!
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 5:59:58 PM
Author: Jointlock
Wow, I am overwhelmed with how nice and great all you folks are. I have spent weeks learning, researching and making the rounds to all the stores. I have been having sleepless nights about this whole thing. Xmas this year wasn''t my target date for the engagement, I was aiming for spring 07, but Xmas and her B''day (1/8) seemed way more appropriate. Besides we have been exclusive for 2.5 yrs and I didn''t want to wait anymore. I really love her so much, and she didn''t have an easy road, raised her kid sister virtually alone and put herself through grad school. No one ever treated her well before, but I have been remedying that. Maybe thats why I have put some emotional attchments to ''the ring'' that aren''t real, but I just want to see her smile (and hopefully cry tears of happiness) We make such an awesome team, so I have been going crazy with this whole thing. I just wanted to say a giant ''THANKS'' to everyone for all the help and guidance; I will take it to heart. Any other suggestions woud be greatly appreciated. Chris.

You know I have to love her since I sold my golf clubs and prized trumpet to raise the extra funds quickly, but boy is she worth it!
30.gif
aw man, your golf clubs??? whattaguy!!!!!!! :*)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results