shape
carat
color
clarity

e-ring help: oval split shank double halo!

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
seeking: oval 1-2 carat diamond in the I/J/K color range, double (or single?) halo with a split shank.

Mandatories / Info:
  • Prefer creamier yellow warm tones, so K is as good if not better than I or J (yup I'm weird :naughty:)
  • prefer a longer vs rounder oval
  • not super sensitive to bow tie cut issues, but prefer it's a lighter not black one if it shows
  • Must have solid finger coverage but still feel delicate. (size 8 finger, short non-glamorous fingers)
  • love airlines between 2 halos.
  • Budget total for stone + setting is $10k
  • Prefer a lower setting that isn't likely to snag on things
  • would prefer not to buy online, am located in NYC so vendor recommendations are welcome
  • Do not care for pave all the way around band. Prefer a plain-er band. Comfort fit.
  • love this PSer's ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you saw what I posted over in CS, one, I suggest you look at L's too. And dropping to that L will get you so much size for your money

But I didn't really like any of the stones at James Allen right now. Id contact DBL as they are good at sourcing these things AND make hood double halos

Will you do a rose or yellow gold? I really hope so that would be just so flattering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I'd contact Old Word Diamonds. They I am sure are hard to find, but I'd he could find an antique oval oh that would be amazing, and its likely it would be in that sort off off white range. Maybe closer to an M, but I don't think you'd mind that is you're looking for off white. Especially in an antique cut

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
i thought DBL was just colored colored stuff! i'll certainly contact them. would be super open to L or M! I really like the warmer colors and certainly am open to the size it'll afford. :love: thanks, Niel! I dont see any on the site now but will see if we can come in and see DBL sometime soon! as for gold or rose gold, not my current plan. i'm super pale so I feel like I dont do those lovely colors justice! in my head I have it that gold is for blondes more? or that diamond goes better w/ platinum? unsure!

saw this on pinterest and just love it. trying to learn more about types of pave to understand what the word is for smaller melee w/ a rounder style? more art deco? this one is so lovely!

028-460x345.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely contact old world diamonds, I know a few people who have scored amazing diamonds from Adam

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
thanks, will do! your avatar ring is STUNNING. off to stalk your posts to find more pics! :naughty:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! It's an I colored diamond in the Vatche u113 knife edge setting. The band was an antique I got off another member that I was thinking of using as my wedding band - I ended up getting a thinner verragio. I get to start wearing that next may ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand what you're saying about metal color. My FI just had to get yellow gold as white and rose looked pretty terrible on his skin. He is a red head.

Now there are plenty of examples where white metal would go with a lower stone on here, but they are usually antique stones.

I just think rose or yellow will help make the melee meld with the center stone. Bit if you've tried on those colors and know they aren't for you I understand. :))

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Great long conversation with David from diamonds by Lauren we discussed a couple PS at length :lol: --one not so favorite member of his and it was hilarious. he's awesome and gets what i want. He found an oval 1.5 L VS1 he thinks could be perfect-- it's around $6000 he said minimal bow 1.48 ratio. Nice size and cut. it's not at his actual vault but someone else has it so he's trying to get it for us.

Re: setting I was little disappointed and surprised re the lack of flexibility re split shanks but it turns out he think he can do what I'm hoping for. I am slightly saddened its not possible to customize the shanks more. I found this one on the site and he said they could replicate it. Obv making mine an oval. Possible double halo. I like how the shanks are distinctly separate as well as curved a little compared to others on the site that are nearly parallel.

Also concerned about the height of the setting. He said there's little he can do. Does it look high to anyone else? I hate high!

I'm a bit concerned about finger coverage though too. Maybe a double halo can fix that?

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=R5053&search%5Bmode%5D=any

_11015.jpg

_11016.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Right re plain split shank. It's hard to find with halo. Here's some inspiration!! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suprise-proposal-erd-cushion-plain-split-shank-halo-created.177760/[/URL]

I will follow up with the OWD folks. Also am picking up pearl project #1 of 3 from my grandmother's jeweler. (Should post about him and the project, ha) and apparently he has done several e-rings and custom work for cousins etc. so I'll ask him too. Pepe Creations. Http://gcreationsinc.com

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1382066744|3539912 said:

Stunning! Great value too. Just missing that split shank and am not sure how a resize from 4-8 would go! Obsesssing over the shank conundrum: I quite like a delicate look and some of DBLs split shanks are barely a V. They're so close the shanks touch or nearly touch. One of the only design elements that matters to my FF who admittedly struggles to understand my fixation on all things shiny-- is that plain band. He really prefers the minimalism of it and I actually do too. Especially next to a halo or double halo.

While I so appreciate David at DBL being so candid I wish customization was more possible! :shock:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well couldn't you have a setting made elsewhere? ERD could probably make you a lovely split shank double halo for 4k or less. I mean, if the oval he finds is perfect?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example of one ERD did

uploadfromtaptalk1382100642737.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382100651492.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382100667184.jpg

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
certainly a possibility. need to read up on other vendors. would love to just walk in and get it figured out

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
just spoke with adam from Old World. He has lots! super helpful. Not sure what he meant by 'modern oval' so I'm looking into that. Also he asked how I felt about non-certified or EGL? i'm not sure how i feel.

off the bat Adam was more open to custom designing a setting. Here are the stones he has that we'll be going to see today (plus he's pulling some emeralds he just was excited to show off and an elongated cushion. He was so enthusiastic I got excited too!

1.40 M VS2
1.44 K SI2
1.71 L VS1
1.96 L SI3
2.09 L S12

Niel- i love those delicate photos. A plain split shank just makes it more balanced somehow and I htink they're so elegant!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modern oval is the kind you've been looking at on JA and whatnot antique would look more like this.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-ebay-antique-oval.194365/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-ebay-antique-oval.194365/[/URL]

I would be comfortable buying an uncerted stone from him. I've seen a handful of people on here do it with good results. I think he would even send it to get cert'ed of you wanted. I can't remember. Also a lot of old cuts are EGL, so that wouldn't make me too uncomfortable.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1382111743|3540099 said:
Modern oval is the kind you've been looking at on JA and whatnot antique would look more like this.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-ebay-antique-oval.194365/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-ebay-antique-oval.194365/[/URL]

I would be comfortable buying an uncerted stone from him. I've seen a handful of people on here do it with good results. I think he would even send it to get cert'ed of you wanted. I can't remember. Also a lot of old cuts are EGL, so that wouldn't make me too uncomfortable.

ok good to know. just out of curiosity, what makes this antique oval antique?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1382115894|3540125 said:
Niel|1382111743|3540099 said:

ok good to know. just out of curiosity, what makes this antique oval antique?

Well age ;-)..... but I know what you mean.

the elements of an antique oval is the larger facets, culet

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
**Edited by moderator. PLEASE do not post your personal information for your own safety**

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1382111847|3540101 said:
JulieN|1381993315|3539351 said:
I like this long oval-like cushion, which I suspect will outperform most ovals: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9995/

so pretty-- can you elaborate on out-perform? do ovals not face up very well?
Most ovals have action across the belly, in the bowtie area, and leak a lot everywhere else. Look at the ASETs of ovals on GOG and GOG's videos on youtube.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
so update! completely taken w/ a stone from Old World Diamonds. He had so many to choose from and here's the one we both chose independently of awareness of price / what the other had picked! not the best photos, but here are a few!

top 3

final 2:

the favorite:

img_2382.jpg

img_2387.jpg

img_2388.jpg

img_2380.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!!!
What are the specs of your stone? If you don't mind sharing these that is...
Who will make the setting for you?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
weight: 1.96 CT
shape: oval brilliant
measurements: 9.19 x 7.25 x 4.59
depth: 63%
table: 58%
crown: 14%
pavilion: 43.3%
girdle: thin to sl thick faceted
culet: very small
polish: good
symmetry: good
clarity: SI3
color: L
fluorescence: none

here are some stats. I know it may not be the best set of stats, but I'm no longer sure I care. I used to be suspicious of SI3 etc but it's just so sparkly and eye clean. Front and back. I turned it over and looked very closely and see nothing that bothered me. Yes, there's some action across the middle but I'm not sure I mind?

img_1248.jpeg

on_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just love the shape!
I think specs are go help you find the right stone, but aren't the end all be all. You're wearing the stone not the certificate.

In the last picture of looks very lively st one end and in the center. Is it lively and bright at that other end too? Was it just the picture? I assume, but just making sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results