shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring help - I''''m stuck and need your opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MzG

Rough_Rock
>I''ve been lurking for a little while, just learning what I can about rings, stones, the 4 C''s , the whole thing! Finally posting now because I needs some major help here and would be so grateful for any thoughts/advice from anyone here. You all seem so knowledgeable! Basically, my BF and I are planning on getting engaged soon. We''ve seen some jewellers to look at things, but I''ve not seen anything that''s really ''me''. I''ve had a look online and I think I''ve found the styles I have seen and liked, which I''ve not yet found anywhere, so I think it will have to be made.

So the first pic I saw that I fell in love with which is the first one I''ve attached is a pink oval sapphire as the centre stone. I really like the solid looking split shank, as opposed to the much thinner split shanks, which I''ve seen in person. I also love how the side stones and halo are more channel set and sit ''inside'' the ring, so to speak. However, I wasn''t really sure I liked the oval shape.

I''ve found some pics of other similar rings..... I saw one that is on a Moisonite website, but it''s for the style only! Obviously want the diamonds in there instead, but I really loved the solid look to it and can now visualise a round diamond in there, which looks lovely. However, I don''t like how the diamond sits up.

Then I found a pic of ANOTHER similar ring, but the centre stone is a full bezel and sits nicely inside. However, the split shanks are too thin for my liking. I do kind of like how there are diamonds around the vertical edge, but not sure if that''s a bit too OTT.

Now, my issues are as follows:

* SAPPHIRE VS DIAMOND AS CENTRE STONE: I do love pink stones, so I really adore a light pink sapphire! I also love diamonds, but I''ve never been the kind of girl who has really desired one. I think they''re beautiful sure, but I love big rocks and eclectic market jewellery, so a classic solitaire style just wouldn''t suit. Of course we''re going to a wholesaler to look into diamonds, but as I understand it sapphires are cheaper, right? We''ve just bought a house too, so while my BF assumed that I''d want a diamond and is all set to go and buy one, I think a sapphire as a centre stone with the diamonds as the halo and in the channel setting in platinum would be a really nice alternative and may end up cheaper! It is just a coincidence and a good one. Down the track when our situation changes we could always get a diamond centre stone down the track, if I one day decide that a pink sapphire doesn''t suit me anymore.

* SETTING: In terms of the centre stone setting - would a bezel be better? How do people feel about the pronged setting vs the bezel? Is there a way to make the ring pronged, but sit lower? I''ve not seen a bezelled sapphire, so wondering if it would affect the sparkliness of it. I prefer the bezel because I think the high setting would bother me.

* SIZE: I love big rings and striking jewellery, so considering the cheaper cost of the sapphire, do you think a 1.5 carat + would be good? I am finding it hard to decide what the right size would be. I know the halo will make it look bigger, so that has to be taken into consideration, as I have quite small hands.

* CUT: I have kind of fallen in love with cushion cuts, but what I''m looking at is a round centre stone. I''m wondering if a cushion cut would suit, or not. Should I stick with the round style?

* CLARITY: Unsure of how to go about getting a high quality sapphire. But I''m thinking that by going the sapphire, then we''ll be able to get some really nice (perhaps D coloured) diamonds for the channel and halo *fingers crossed*

* STONE PURCHASE: If we go with the sapphire option, can we get a sapphire from the wholesaler, or would the diamond wholesaler only deal with straight diamonds and no other gemstones?

* WHERE TO GET THE RING SET: I''ve found so much information on the diamond purchase (which is great!) but I''ve not found much on choosing the right jeweller. Will the wholesaler be able to do it? I want someone I can trust, especially because it seems like a more unusual design. I have been to a few jewellery stores and they''ve said they will only use diamonds that they''ve sourced. These are upmarket jewellery in Sydney AU, no mall stores ;-) So I''m a bit confused about how to go about the actual designing of the ring.

* SETTING PRICE: how many $$$ should I factor into the actual designing and creating of the ring? After we purchase all the stones, I am trying to work out how much on top of that will be needed to make the ring itself. I understand that this may vary greatly, but trying to work out rough estimates.

*BUDGET My boy has told me he is looking to spend about 7-12K (AU) on this, but I really don''t want it to get into the tens of thousands, just because of our new house and realities of life and such! Basically, do you think what I want is realistic, or unrealistic?

Any advice/opinions you have would be very much appreciated. The last thing I want is to be seeing people and not having done the research! Sorry, I know this was rather long-winded.....

Here is a pic of the 1st ring, with the pink sapphire and oval stone:

MzG

Rough_Rock
Moissonite ring from the top

split shank ring[1].jpg

MzG

Rough_Rock
From the side (see how the diamond sits high up in the prongs)

Splitshank[2].jpg

MzG

Rough_Rock
Pic of the bezel setting that I like, because it sits neatly inside.

bezel ring low res.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
You could definitly have one done like the 2nd picture or third with a pink sapphire, that would be beautiful! Look around at the Natural Sapphire Company website they have lovely ones there you could have set into a beautil halo! Good Luck

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wink made an e-ring for my friend that was very similar to the first one - only without the channel setting on the split shank.

It doesn''t seem to sit up too high at all - or at least she is happy with it and was very worried about having a ring that would be too high.

Here''s a pic:

clairetsavering12.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You'll find it easier to find an oval or cushion sapphire than a round. Inless you are buying a calibrated stone, you will probably have to go custom anyway so the design can be adapted. Personally I'm not a huge fan of round coloured stones except in earrings.

Is there a reason for doing it all in AU?

I'm in the UK and I and lots of my friends are having our jewellery made and sourced in the US and then shipped. It's super-secure and easy and costs a lot less than here.

Also I get to work with fantastic vendors who I have never met, but trust 100%.

Wink (www.winkjones.com) sourced both my and Claire's tsavorites, as well as the melee (and not all melee is equal) and custom-made the settings.

MzG

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pic and everything!

We''re going to go to a stone wholesaler person on the weekend and inquire about the stones he has. Depending on the prices they give and information about purchasing options for the sapphires and channel diamonds, then we may focus our search online.

Definitely planning on using all these websites to price match and make sure we''re not getting ripped off.

I guess the thought of going to a merchant here, being able to visually inspect all the stones in person and making a choice seems more appealing than ordering off the internet.... but having said that, if we can''t find what we''re looking for or if the prices are skyrocketing, then online is where it''s at.

Will definitely have the ring made in Sydney though. I don''t think I would deal well with the thought of my engagement ring being sent in the post! Knowing my luck, it''d get lost for SURE!

I''ve heard some people say that the style of ring isn''t suitable as an engagement ring, but to me isn''t an engagement ring what you want it to be?

The thing is, the colour of sapphire I want is a VERY light pink - is this more common or rarer than the deeper pink kind? Have no idea!

eac

Shiny_Rock
First, you are IMHO right and reasonable to want a light pink sapphire as your center stone. This is far more affordable than a pink diamond and gives you more budget to put towards the setting; the stone is durable; and it''s got more uniqueness than a diamond.

A very light pink sapphire is not the most valuable or rare pink sapphire. Screaming hot pink sapphires, and pink-orange sapphires called "Padparadschah", are the super expensive ones. But there''s no reason you shouldn''t have what you want! I see lots of paler blue sapphires used in beautiful jewelry, why not pale pink ones.

1.5 carat sounds good to me!

Personally, I like bezels, and a pale pink stone would handle being in a bezel well. Bezel settings hold up the best for everyday wear.

If you can find a round, go for it, but as another poster said, ovals and cushions would be easier to find.

Here is how to talk to your jeweler about having the ring set:
* Pick your jeweler!
* Do a sketch of the ring you want, or bring photographs of similar rings.
* Set up an appointment and go and talk to them. Show them your images. Ask them if they are OK with you providing the center stone.
* Then, see if you feel like working with them. If you are not happy or have a bad feeling, you can leave!

I don''t see a problem with the jeweler providing the stones for the channel and halo, especially in Australia.

7 - 12 K AU will get you an exceedingly nice ring. I''m in NZ, so I''m familiar with AU pricing. In NZ, higher end jewelers charge between $1500 and $3000 to do the type of settings that you are looking at, depending on metals, diamond quality, etc. Most of this cost is for their labor.

Good luck! Will you be trying to use Australian diamonds and sapphires? That would be so cool!

MzG

Rough_Rock

First, you are IMHO right and reasonable to want a light pink sapphire as your center stone. This is far more affordable than a pink diamond and gives you more budget to put towards the setting; the stone is durable; and it''s got more uniqueness than a diamond.

A very light pink sapphire is not the most valuable or rare pink sapphire. Screaming hot pink sapphires, and pink-orange sapphires called "Padparadschah", are the super expensive ones. But there''s no reason you shouldn''t have what you want! I see lots of paler blue sapphires used in beautiful jewelry, why not pale pink ones.

1.5 carat sounds good to me!

Personally, I like bezels, and a pale pink stone would handle being in a bezel well. Bezel settings hold up the best for everyday wear.

If you can find a round, go for it, but as another poster said, ovals and cushions would be easier to find.

Here is how to talk to your jeweler about having the ring set:
* Pick your jeweler!
* Do a sketch of the ring you want, or bring photographs of similar rings.
* Set up an appointment and go and talk to them. Show them your images. Ask them if they are OK with you providing the center stone.
* Then, see if you feel like working with them. If you are not happy or have a bad feeling, you can leave!

I don''t see a problem with the jeweler providing the stones for the channel and halo, especially in Australia.

7 - 12 K AU will get you an exceedingly nice ring. I''m in NZ, so I''m familiar with AU pricing. In NZ, higher end jewelers charge between $1500 and $3000 to do the type of settings that you are looking at, depending on metals, diamond quality, etc. Most of this cost is for their labor.

Good luck! Will you be trying to use Australian diamonds and sapphires? That would be so cool!

Thanks for all that info, that''s so helpful.

I agree with your point about bezel settings and everyday wear. It''s the kind of ring that I never, ever want to take off and something that sits up high wouldn''t be practical for me.

If I were to bring my own stone to a jewellery, what happens if they lose/damage my stone, considering I didn''t purchase it from them?

Also, how do you know if a jeweller is experienced/the right person to design and make your ring? Is it just a vibe? Do you get them to show you examples of previous work? Most importantly - is it foolish of us to have a ring designed and made up when I''ve never been able to try it on?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 5:18:23 AM
Author: MzG

Thanks for all that info, that''s so helpful.

I agree with your point about bezel settings and everyday wear. It''s the kind of ring that I never, ever want to take off and something that sits up high wouldn''t be practical for me.

If I were to bring my own stone to a jewellery, what happens if they lose/damage my stone, considering I didn''t purchase it from them?

Also, how do you know if a jeweller is experienced/the right person to design and make your ring? Is it just a vibe? Do you get them to show you examples of previous work? Most importantly - is it foolish of us to have a ring designed and made up when I''ve never been able to try it on?
You will need to take out your own insurance on the stone - if they didn''t supply it, they probably won''t take any responsibility.

I couldn''t get loose stone insurance in the UK - another reason why I had mine made in the US.

Ask to see the jewellers work and then just go on how comfortable you feel.

Try lots of similar rings on first to get an idea how it looks on your hand.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Glad I helped! You asked:

"If I were to bring my own stone to a jewellery, what happens if they lose/damage my stone, considering I didn't purchase it from them?
Also, how do you know if a jeweller is experienced/the right person to design and make your ring? Is it just a vibe? Do you get them to show you examples of previous work? Most importantly - is it foolish of us to have a ring designed and made up when I've never been able to try it on?"

Regarding the loss/damage issue...this should not be a problem with any reputable jeweler. I have just sent an opal and an emerald to a jeweler 4 hours away to be reset! (I'm a little tiny bit worried, they are both fragile and unique stones, but I trust the jeweler. He has "a following" and does work for people as far away as in the UK - from New Zealand!) If you are seriously anxious about this, ask if they can prepare the setting, then make an appointment with them so they can set the stone while you wait. They will, of course, want to see and measure the stone in advance, and make suggestions. I know that jewelers in the US do this (I also know that they grumble about it!) If you can go in during standard business hours, like a weekday morning, that makes them more amenable to the request.

How do you know the jeweler is the right person? Shop around! There are several elements:
* Do you like their style - the other work they have done? (Most jewelers at this level will have a portfolio or album for you to review, if you ask.)
* Do you feel that you communicate well with them when you ask them questions?
* You're right about the last one, pure instinct.

It's not foolish to have a ring designed that you've never seen. But what DOES help is trying on rings that are similar to the one you plan to have made, and even some ones that are different.

One last thing: the jeweler I go to in New Zealand is http://www.unio.co.nz . I've done three custom jobs with them, because they are specifically good at matching my "vision" to a finished piece. If you look at their engagement ring and Commissioned Work galleries, they've done some pieces that evoke the bezel/halo rings you've shown us. Except with sapphires and rubies as center stones.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Eac, what is the stone in your avatar? It''s gorgeous!

eac

Shiny_Rock
Aw, thank you! It''s a peridot in an Art Deco setting - a gift from my former mother-in-law. When she gave it to me, it hadn''t been cleaned in eons...I think she was shocked to see what it looked like after I had had it cleaned and resized!

MzG

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

Thank you for for the advise and everything!

I can''t tell you how many silly jewellers we''ve had to deal with, who have told me that a sapphire is a ''dress'' ring only. Or when I show them my design they tell me that it won''t suit because the centre stone will need to be really large and a ring like what I want ''will cost at least 20K-25K'', insinuating that we won''t be able to afford it.

So rude!

I feel like laughing at them, because as if we would pay 20K retail for something that someone will make up for us cheaper. Also, who CARES if the centre stone has to be big and not ''timeless'' looking? I''m 24, as if I''m going to pick something and worry about what I''ll think of it when I''m 50! I don''t like how they treat us when I tell them that I prefer a sapphire centre stone. I am telling you, I''ve seen some salespeople chuckle a little, then tell me about diamonds being forever, the only kind of stone an engagement ring should be, blah blah blah. The boy and I have been really polite about it, but it''s really starting to irritate me.

We went to J Farren Price on the weekend and the guy was hilariously ostentatious. He sat us down and gave us a little speech that went like this:

"The diamond, created by the wonder of nature millions of years ago, was mined by man and cut to perfection. Women the world over yearn for the diamond, for it''s fire, it''s beauty, it evokes pure, unadulterated passion in even the coldest of hearts."

I am not kidding, my boy and I were sitting there, trying not to crack up laughing.

Then I went to try on a wedding band to accompany the engagement ring and I accidently put it on AFTER the engagement ring. He shrieked and went "No! No! No! it must go on first darling..... to be closer to your heart.''

At that point I did start giggling a bit. It was all too much!

MsMelbourne

Rough_Rock
Cant help you with a jeweller in Sydney but if you are ever in Melbourne, I can recommend R and M Jewellers in Swanston St. They are making a sapphire and diamond RHR for me at present and I could not have been happier with there service. Really friendly and helpful and had lots of stones to pick from and the price was very reasonable

eac

Shiny_Rock
What an experience! I''m kind of laughing, and kind of appalled...rest assured, you definitely deserve better treatment than that!

This lady is on the Gold Coast in Australia, and she does lovely sapphire work too:
http://www.evamartin.com/gallery

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
MzG, I''m sorry you''ve had bad experiences with j''s so far!

We have bought stones from diamond exchange (a PS vendor) see www.diamondexchange.com.au and they also do settings.

We were looking at having stones halo set for another piece of jewelery and were quoted $1000 including labour From the shopping around we did, this seemed v reasonable. They have offices in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Good luck and can''t wait to see the finished piece!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results