shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring from 2008

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers! Happy valentines day and hope everyone's is getting their fill of chocolates and diamonds. I've never wanted to ask this question but I think I've gotten to the point that the answer won't change anything (my feelings or what we plan on doing with the ring), which is a good place to be!

We got engaged in 2008. Still going strong and happily married with other anniversary bling to wear. I don't wear this e-ring very often but husband is sentimental and doesn't want to take it apart for earring studs, which is what I toyed around with. He rather that I wear it once in awhile, which I still do even though I gravitate more to my other rings. We bought the ring before pricescope days and brick and mortar was the primary way to purchase jewelry. I know it's not cut well as the GIA report shows it is 1.5 ct but it faces up like a 1.4 ct. I don't own a loupe and I'm ok with eye-cleaned stones. I'm just not an PS pro like many of ya'll but can you tell it to me straight so I can stop thinking about it?

Is this an "ok" stone, but we overpaid tremendously? Believe we spent about $10K for the stone and then the shared prong band was $2,500 plus probably about $500 for the platinum head setting? I know diamond prices were lower back then too so when I'm looking online for something comparable (not to purchase but just to answer this question), it seems like we paid a big mark up because of the local store. Appreciate the help that hopefully will give me peace of mind in terms of factual learning! Thank you!

1707928724845.png 20160324_161722.jpg

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I won't speak to prices but if you don't frequently wear it due to performance, reaching out to a recut vendor might be an option for you.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment! I don't want to put more funds into the ring but thanks for the idea. Just wanted to be at peace with it! Also that is a very old photo so I feel like it looks purely cloudy but it performs "good enough" compared to my other stones when looking at it from arms length.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
What would give you peace about the diamond? That you didn’t overpay for it?

I'm 90% sure I over paid for it so that is what I'm expecting to confirm. I think I would have closure understanding an approximate cost of overpayment if someone could be that daring to share ball-park idea. I believe this last step would give me "closure" (probably the better word than peace) that it's not just my speculation and it's just the fact. It's all in the past and hoping to be educated in the spirit of PS who are as polite and sensitive as can be... haha apologies that this is an awkward question but I don't have any gal pals/family members who are into jewelry.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
PS search suggests 5-8k today for GIA 1.51 ct H SI2 very good cut

PS price chart suggests roughly 10% more today vs 15 years ago for 1-2 carats

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is really hard to know the exact diamond prices from 2008. I found this H, SI2 diamond on Whiteflash's diamond inventory. This is NOT an A Cut Above diamond from Whiteflash. I cannot be certain if the cut quality of both diamonds is comparable, but assuming they are close (?), today's price would be less than what you paid in 2008.
I will tell you that many of us in 2008 or before overpaid for diamonds in many brick and mortar stores so you wouldn't be alone. That was 16 years ago and diamond prices have fluctuated up and down in that time frame. You could have bought at a time when prices were high or when prices were low. I would not beat yourself up about it; we were all buying diamonds based on what little we knew about cut quality or price. You walked into a store, bought based on looks and price and hoped to be happy. Internet purchasing has come a long way since then as has information that we were sorely lacking. We just have to be happy that today we have much more information and understanding than we could have ever had back in the day. You have elected to hold onto that diamond for all these years and I understand the sentimental attachment to you. Wear it with pride, enjoy it and know that AT THAT TIME, you were doing the best you could do. That applies to many of us! Some have kept their diamonds, some have upgraded, and some have bought other diamonds to wear as erings too. No one likes to feel that they were taken advantage of in such a large purchase, but the diamond market has not always been a fair one. There is much more transparency in buying today which is a consumer's friend.
I hope you feel this is a fair assessment - not meant to harm in any way, but to be a close comparison. Others may chime in with different opinions too. I don't think my first diamond was overpriced, but I know for a fact that in some of my upgrades, I got taken advantage of by dealers. I was finally able to purchase an A Cut Above Diamond and knew I had some of the best cut quality to be found. At that point, after many, many years of trading, that knowledge was more important to me than the money. Price is not the be all, end all to many purchases we make in the grand scheme of things.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell you what you could get it for today...but I dont know what was going on in 2008. Keep in mind that buying at a brick and
mortar store is almost always more expensive than buying online. Also, most Pricescopers have been where you're at. We
overpaid for our first rings then came to Pricescope before we did our upgrades. (I know I/we overpaid).

So, dont look any further if you dont really want to know

Edit..I typed this out before the last 2 posts but decided to post anyway.

To be honest your stone looks better than I expected from the numbers. I think the ring looks quite nice on you.
What about putting it in a pendant? Tell your DH that you want to wear it close to your heart!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
It is really hard to know the exact diamond prices from 2008. I found this H, SI2 diamond on Whiteflash's diamond inventory. This is NOT an A Cut Above diamond from Whiteflash. I cannot be certain if the cut quality of both diamonds is comparable, but assuming they are close (?), today's price would be less than what you paid in 2008.
I will tell you that many of us in 2008 or before overpaid for diamonds in many brick and mortar stores so you wouldn't be alone. That was 16 years ago and diamond prices have fluctuated up and down in that time frame. You could have bought at a time when prices were high or when prices were low. I would not beat yourself up about it; we were all buying diamonds based on what little we knew about cut quality or price. You walked into a store, bought based on looks and price and hoped to be happy. Internet purchasing has come a long way since then as has information that we were sorely lacking. We just have to be happy that today we have much more information and understanding than we could have ever had back in the day. You have elected to hold onto that diamond for all these years and I understand the sentimental attachment to you. Wear it with pride, enjoy it and know that AT THAT TIME, you were doing the best you could do. That applies to many of us! Some have kept their diamonds, some have upgraded, and some have bought other diamonds to wear as erings too. No one likes to feel that they were taken advantage of in such a large purchase, but the diamond market has not always been a fair one. There is much more transparency in buying today which is a consumer's friend.
I hope you feel this is a fair assessment - not meant to harm in any way, but to be a close comparison. Others may chime in with different opinions too. I don't think my first diamond was overpriced, but I know for a fact that in some of my upgrades, I got taken advantage of by dealers. I was finally able to purchase an A Cut Above Diamond and knew I had some of the best cut quality to be found. At that point, after many, many years of trading, that knowledge was more important to me than the money. Price is not the be all, end all to many purchases we make in the grand scheme of things.

As a sad member of this club also, I agree whole hardily with this. It is the feeling of being taken advantage/ripped off that hurts the most.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
PS search suggests 5-8k today for GIA 1.51 ct H SI2 very good cut

PS price chart suggests roughly 10% more today vs 15 years ago for 1-2 carats

Appreciate for breaking it down for me so well! I truly treasure your summary of the costs and wrapping my head around it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a sad member of this club also, I agree whole hardily with this. It is the feeling of being taken advantage/ripped off that hurts the most.

I get it - there are so many of us in the same boat. There is truth in numbers so please don't feel you are alone in this feeling. However, it was many years ago and the past can't be undone. We have all probably overpaid for cars, homes and insurances - just to name a few. It is a fact of life unfortunately and we just have to keep moving forward.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock

Thank you, thank you for your post! Your thoughtful attention to the words were certainly well received and the WF reference was helpful and similar to what I have been learning when checking online vendors! Honestly it has taken me 10 plus year to get to this point and it helps that I've had other jewelry purchased with the PS guidance to offset it... I never felt like I was taken advantage of. They are in the business of making a profit and certainly having a storefront requires a larger mark up than an online store. No one held me at gun point and at any point in time, I could have walked away. I think if I could tell my 20 year old self, I should have taken it slower and had a more analytical mindset. I should have asked "well what else could I get for $XXX" and compared. I remember the sales person, who truly was sweet and I still don't have any ill-will say "this is the type of stone I would recommend to a friend because it is S12 and eye clean...." I think I took that to heart and just said let's do it. I believe that's the part I wish I could redo, mark-up or no mark-up.

You said it well that "price is not the be all" and I'm so sorry that you too wish you could have done it differently in the past. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing it with me as well! Cheers to moving on and not letting those dealers steal away any more moments or treasured feelings to symbolize a union of marriage.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I can tell you what you could get it for today...but I dont know what was going on in 2008. Keep in mind that buying at a brick and
mortar store is almost always more expensive than buying online. Also, most Pricescopers have been where you're at. We
overpaid for our first rings then came to Pricescope before we did our upgrades. (I know I/we overpaid).

So, dont look any further if you dont really want to know

Edit..I typed this out before the last 2 posts but decided to post anyway.

To be honest your stone looks better than I expected from the numbers. I think the ring looks quite nice on you.
What about putting it in a pendant? Tell your DH that you want to wear it close to your heart!

Appreciate the sweet words! I think my smaller fingers allow for it to look it's best in the given circumstances. Also, since I'm not too OCD with wanting to damage anything, I don't wear a band with it as I think I'm too old for someone to assume I'm newly married but who cares if they do.... so I think that makes the stone shape look larger, or at least what I tell myself.

To be honest, I get more compliments on this ring than I do with my bigger gold set or my five stone band.... Perhaps my other rings aren't as common (they are on PS but not to the average person) so the assumption is that it is costume jewelry. Or it's an average/reasonable/common center stone size that people feel like it's a safe place to give a compliment. I know I've seen some honkers out there (before the lab diamond phase) and I was desperate to say "ddannngggg your e-ring is what dreams are made of but thought it wasn't appropriate to say to a stranger for fear that it might be taken the wrong way.

I have 2 other necklaces so I've got that body part covered, but I appreciate the idea! I'm actually glad DH prefers to not take it apart as it affirms that it's not wasted $$$ just maybe not the best use of it but it's not unworthy enough to be recycled.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock

Hope you get past those feelings and don't let those dealers/vendors continue to steal your enjoy! In some ways, if you never found PS, you would have been happily enjoying our items, which is how I preach to myself sometimes.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, thank you for your post! Your thoughtful attention to the words were certainly well received and the WF reference was helpful and similar to what I have been learning when checking online vendors! Honestly it has taken me 10 plus year to get to this point and it helps that I've had other jewelry purchased with the PS guidance to offset it... I never felt like I was taken advantage of. They are in the business of making a profit and certainly having a storefront requires a larger mark up than an online store. No one held me at gun point and at any point in time, I could have walked away. I think if I could tell my 20 year old self, I should have taken it slower and had a more analytical mindset. I should have asked "well what else could I get for $XXX" and compared. I remember the sales person, who truly was sweet and I still don't have any ill-will say "this is the type of stone I would recommend to a friend because it is S12 and eye clean...." I think I took that to heart and just said let's do it. I believe that's the part I wish I could redo, mark-up or no mark-up.

You said it well that "price is not the be all" and I'm so sorry that you too wish you could have done it differently in the past. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing it with me as well! Cheers to moving on and not letting those dealers steal away any more moments or treasured feelings to symbolize a union of marriage.

My journey began in 1976. There was no internet. We were at the mercy of a salesperson - in a jewelry store that was highly recommended. Even if we could go back to that time, I would have known no more then than I did - if that makes sense. Could have only bought with eyes and budget. It took ten years for me to realize that my diamond was yellowish. That's when we started looking to trade. It was a long journey with many missteps along the way. This is why I so strongly encourage today's shoppers to start with a company that has exceptional cut quality and a trade up policy. They do not know how fortunate they are to have this all at their fingertips. However, I have come to realize that it was the destination and not the journey that really counts. Ending up happy is something I have to treasure and let the frustration and the tears of those years go for my own peace of mind. Comparison just steals the joy of today. We cannot change the past, but we can surely enjoy our destination today. Letting it go is a choice and a wise one to make if you want to live a happy life!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My journey began in 1976. There was no internet. We were at the mercy of a salesperson - in a jewelry store that was highly recommended. Even if we could go back to that time, I would have known no more then than I did - if that makes sense. Could have only bought with eyes and budget. It took ten years for me to realize that my diamond was yellowish. That's when we started looking to trade. It was a long journey with many missteps along the way. This is why I so strongly encourage today's shoppers to start with a company that has exceptional cut quality and a trade up policy. They do not know how fortunate they are to have this all at their fingertips. However, I have come to realize that it was the destination and not the journey that really counts. Ending up happy is something I have to treasure and let the frustration and the tears of those years go for my own peace of mind. Comparison just steals the joy of today. We cannot change the past, but we can surely enjoy our destination today. Letting it go is a choice and a wise one to make if you want to live a happy life!

+ a billon!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I knew then what I now know.
Back in the day you wandered into your local jeweller with a budget in mind and out came a small tray of rings for you to choose from.
No one asked about colour or clarity let alone cutting parameters for best performance and a lab report as far as you knew was a blood test.
How times have changed.
Today you bisect every nuance, ponder cut parameters, see highly magnified images and videos and can buy from anywhere in the world. Your choices are in the thousands.
Your early purchases have history they contain memories and are sentimental and dont need to assessed against todays knowledge and purchase opportunities.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, most people who come to PS in a situation similar to yours bought diamonds without lab reports or with lab reports that are unreliable or value inflating. I think your 20 yo self did very well to know that if you are going to spend so much you need a reliable indicator of value like a GIA report. Just saying!

I don't think you particularly "over paid" for purchasing at a B&M either. Its a nice big stone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've all been there, so there's no point in stressing. I bought my original e ring with my ex husband in 2010 and definitely overpaid because I knew nothing about diamonds. But even after I found PS I decided it wasn't worth being upset over, because I just didn't know any better.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it does look very beautiful on your finger and your hubby likes it
i too like the pendant idea, close to your heart

im pretty sure almost everything ive ever brought was overpriced so i do most definatly symathise with you especially with it being your engagment ring

im not sure how but somehow you have to come to terms and make peace with it as your husband really wants you to at least wear it occasionally
i mean if you buy a brand new car it devalues as soon as you drive it out of the showroom
i would say if you dont have a loupe do not start now
comparison is the robber of joy

can you remember how much you loved it when you first got it ?
when it was first on your hand and you were a newly engaged person
can you look at it as an old friend on the journey of life -a very beautiful friend

im honesty not sure if knowing by how much you overpaid is going to help you bring peace

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the overwhelming comments and support. I shared it in some of my replies but wanted to conclude that I agree that extra knowledge in some instances isn't healthy or necessary. However, since so much time has passed, knowing the general ball park of "what I could have done better" honestly did help me process and close this chapter! I'm not taking apart the ring and I will and still do wear it from time to time. Perhaps I should have emphasized that the infrequency of using it isn't solely due to the overpayment. I won't pretend that it isn't one of the reasons, but I gravitate to other rings that are easier to wear (one set is lower and doesn't spin as much, another one is a 5 stone band) etc...

Also, it might be a personality thing but going through this exercise has made me feel that I've explored everything I could to better understand the alternatives of the path. I'm def more at peace after posting on this thread so appreciate it again for entertaining my question!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the ring head, you might be able to swap out the head portion without completely dismantling the ring.

I hate the idea of not wearing such a sentimental piece.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I remember the sales person, who truly was sweet and I still don't have any ill-will say "this is the type of stone I would recommend to a friend because it is S12 and eye clean...." I think I took that to heart and just said let's do it. I believe that's the part I wish I could redo, mark-up or no mark-up.

I’m glad you’ve reached some peace of mind in this journey. Reading this but you wrote above, I wondered if the sales rep was also working at the top of their expertise at the time? SI2 eye clean stones aren’t, and perhaps they believed they were giving you a good deal in the information-bereft landscape of 2008?

You haven’t shared what you paid, so we can’t say if they made a fair profit for a B&M store of that time out of that gouged a naive couple. Here’s to hoping they made just a little bit over the former.

As far as spinning is concerned, that’s an easy fix. I believe sizing beads will help, but others on here now far more about that than me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results