shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Finally! - Radiant With Tapered Baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
Planning to propose on Christmas Eve...

Got lots of help from Pricescope. Custom made ring with tapered baguettes. 14kt white gold. The only thing I dislike about it is the side of the ring goes a bit wide. It gets thin at the end of the baguettes. And instead of staying thin all around the band, it goes wide again. Anybody know if it would be easy for them to cut it down to just be the same width all around? It looks like it''s probably 2.1 or 2.2 mm at the end of the baguettes. And then it goes to maybe 2.5 mm on the side. Really miniscule detail and probably not worth the effort of getting it fixed.

I can''t take close shots of the ring, though... Digital camera can''t do it.

DSCF1010.JPG

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
On my pinky finger. She''s a 4.5 ring size.

DSCF1012.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

Quest can probably fix it but the change in width is probably to make the band stong rnough to stay round long term. Most really thin bands compensate with extra thickness/height. To keep the profile low to the finger you need to add width.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY classy - best of luck! I think it can be shaved down if that bothers you - I like it that way though. GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is beautiful! Nice job!

peterspixie

Shiny_Rock
The ring is gorgeous...Yes I am firmilar with the camera's not cooperating. It's a drag.
39.gif

What are the stats on the ring if you dont mind me asking.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring. I see/understand where you''re coming from about the bulkiness of the ring itself. However, when it''s on her finger you may find that it is very unnoticeable. Also...have you considered yet what sort of wedding band you (and she) will be pairing with the e-ring? that''s another factor that may alleviate your apprehensions about the thickness of the e-ring. At any rate, you''ve chosen a beautiful setting and stones. Best of luck with your proposal!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!! I like it the way it is, but if the shank really bothers you, I think they should be able to shave it down.

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
Oops...here are the stats:
Shape: Radiant
Carat Weight:0.71
Cut:Very Good
Color:H
Clarity:VS2

I'll see what I want to do on Saturday. I have to go there anyways since I forgot to ask them for the GIA cert. I think I better just ask them if they can shave it down. Hopefully, it's not a very difficult task... But it can't hurt to ask.

Also, it might be because it's new and freshly rhodium plated, but does the metal sometimes feel a teensy bit...sticky? Not really, but when you slide your finger around the metal, it has this weird sticky feeling.

Anyhow, the more I think about, I should definitely talk to them about the thickness on the side. I should be 100% satisfied after spending that much money. But maybe dreamer_dachsie is right that it has to be thick in order to keep the ring shape? But I've seen lots of very thin dainty e-rings before... I hope they don't just say a lot of stuff to confuse me and try to convince me that the ring is better off wide.

If it's 2.5 mm all around, I don't really mind. But I don't like how it goes from thin to thick. Especially because of the tapered baguettes. Goes from thick on top at the beginning of the baguette, to thin down towards the end of the baguette, back to thick as you get to the side and bottom of the ring.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 6:55:49 AM
Author: lingpanda01
Oops...here are the stats:
Shape: Radiant
Carat Weight:0.71
Cut:Very Good
Color:H
Clarity:VS2

I''ll see what I want to do on Saturday. I have to go there anyways since I forgot to ask them for the GIA cert. I think I better just ask them if they can shave it down. Hopefully, it''s not a very difficult task... But it can''t hurt to ask.

Also, it might be because it''s new and freshly rhodium plated, but does the metal sometimes feel a teensy bit...sticky? Not really, but when you slide your finger around the metal, it has this weird sticky feeling.

Anyhow, the more I think about, I should definitely talk to them about the thickness on the side. I should be 100% satisfied after spending that much money. But maybe dreamer_dachsie is right that it has to be thick in order to keep the ring shape? But I''ve seen lots of very thin dainty e-rings before... I hope they don''t just say a lot of stuff to confuse me and try to convince me that the ring is better off wide.

If it''s 2.5 mm all around, I don''t really mind. But I don''t like how it goes from thin to thick. Especially because of the tapered baguettes. Goes from thick on top at the beginning of the baguette, to thin down towards the end of the baguette, back to thick as you get to the side and bottom of the ring.
Please dont cut it down without your GF seeing it first. She may be happy with the way it is. - of course you can go ahead
and gather info. Once its on her finger the thickness of the band will be hidden a little more and it may not bother her.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

And I LOVE Quest. They do such excellent work and are so wonderful to work with!!!

Best of luck on the proposal!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh!! lovely! she''s going to love it!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
good luck on your proposal. what a brilliant ring! Kudos!

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words. When I first saw a tapered baguette setting in person at Jared's, I knew that's the type of ring she'd love forever.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! It''s gonna look great on her finger! I think you should be fine with keeping the width of the shank the way it is. I think the difference is really really minuscule. If anything, maybe you can ask how much it would be to thin down the shank and if it would hurt the integrity of the ring. If not and the price is right, then maybe go ahead and do it, but personally, I don''t think it''s necessary. Good luck on your proposal! And don''t forget to come back with handshots!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice classic design with the twist of a radiant! Lovely! TFS
21.gif

lingpanda01

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 12:58:24 PM
Author: Luckyeshe
Gorgeous!!! It''s gonna look great on her finger! I think you should be fine with keeping the width of the shank the way it is. I think the difference is really really minuscule. If anything, maybe you can ask how much it would be to thin down the shank and if it would hurt the integrity of the ring. If not and the price is right, then maybe go ahead and do it, but personally, I don''t think it''s necessary. Good luck on your proposal! And don''t forget to come back with handshots!!
Yeah. The difference is pretty insignificant. It would be free since I had it custom made there. She said it won''t be a problem at all to thin it down, but advised against it. Since it''s gold, it will wear thin on it''s own over time. And that having it too thin will mess with the integrity a bit (but not by much). Just that with resizing in the future and normal wear and tear of the ring over time, it''s much better to not have it too thin. Said if it was platinum, then it would be okay to go thinner. But with gold, it''s a different story.

But she was very nice about me making the choice and I can think about it and that they''ll be more than happy to thin it down for me if I want. Any advice or comments on whether or not I should do it would be appreciated. Although I guess most are suggesting to keep it the way it is.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a classic, she'll love it
36.gif

I agree with PPs on the shank - it's a very small difference, and you probably won't even notice. I wanted the shank to taper in towards my side-stones too, and I wasn't happy when I got it back and it didn't look to taper. Then I took calipers to it - and it does taper, by exactly 0.2mm, just like I specified!

The taper is so insignificant, esp. with everything else that's going on at that shoulder-diamond boundary, that I don't even see it unless it's pretty drastic.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
I would let your see it. If she says anything about not liking the thickness of the shank then you can tell her it can be fixed. But I think it''s more for strength of the shank then anything. But I think she is going to fall in love with you all over again when she sees that beauty! Can''t wait to see it on her hand!
9.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
beautiful

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I love baguette settings!! Yours is beautiful!!

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring! I vote for keeping the band as is for now. My band is also tapered and thicker than I expected at 2.5mm on the bottom. It''s platinum so felt especially heavy and strange at first, but after a few weeks, I got used to it and now it''s totally comfortable. I don''t know how much difference in would make but it seems with my ring, the wider band/heavier weight helps to balance the ring. At least give it a try and see if your girlfriend can get used to it. Once shaved, it''s harder to add the gold back.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
You chose a fabulous ring! I love the baguettes. Come back with hand pics.

VRB1

Rough_Rock
great ring i am sure she will love it !

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results