shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone recommend the best way to clean a diamond and platinum engagement ring and white gold rings? I have a few right hand rings that need to be cleaned desperately and I am looking for a good way to clean my upcoming engagement ring safely. I have heard people mention ultrasonic but I have no idea what they are referring to. The only thing I have used in the past is the solution that comes with the little brush in a jar but it doesn''t get around stones well and I am afraid the brush is too harsh and abrasive. Can anyone explain a safe way to effectively clean my rings and explain about the ultrasonic device? Where could I buy one and how much do they cost, for example? Thanks for any help in advance!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
An easy way to clean your rings would be to first soak them in a solution of warm water and dishsoap to remove any dirt, grime, etc....Then remove and scrub gently with a soft toothbrush. To finish it off, I rinse well and then rub my ring (especially my diamond) down with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol- that gets it extra sparkly. My jeweler actually suggested this method- he actually used to work for the GIA- they cleaned diamonds this way all the time.

As far as the ultrasonics- you can look into them- some people swear by them- I have one and I do agree that it gets my jewelery extra sparkly clean, but there is some discrepancy over whether it is safe to put pave settings into them. My own setting does have some pave work, so if I use my ultrasonic its only like once a month. The ultrasonics use a vibrating motion to clean- so the thought is that it may not be safe for pave because of the all the shaking. But, if your ring does not have pave, you may want to look into getting one. Sharper Image sells a good one, and if you look on e-bay you can probably find a nice re-furbised one for under $50 bucks. I think they run about $100 brand new. I know many people on here bought the re-furbished ones on ebay during the PS ultrasonic craze ( I myself bought one too during this time). I haven't had any problems with it at all, and like I said when I do use it my jewelery gets extra sparkly clean, so I think its a great investment!!!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Dani, thanks so much for that information. I think I may steer clear of the ultrasonic machine then, since both my future engagement ring and one of my current RHRs has pave diamonds. I wouldn''t want to take the chance. Does the dishsoap leave any kind of residue? I am going to pick up an extra soft toothbrush and follow your suggestions for the warm water and dishsoap solution. I will also try the q-tip with rubbing alcohol. I plan on taking my engagement ring for a good cleaning at a jeweler every year but I would like to be able to clean it regularly myself. Thanks for the great tips!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Your so welcome. I think the dishsoap may leave some residue, just rinse very well under warm water and then hit it with the rubbing alcohol- that should take away any residue and/or water spots. I have suggested this method to many people- my friends, family, etc, and they all say it works very well...Also you can spray some windex into that warm soapy water solution- the ammonia is a great cleaner as well, I forgot about that. Let me know how it works for you!!!
2.gif

ETA: You may want to pick up an ultrasonic, and like me, just use it at intervals. IMHO, having a cleaning done once a yr (as you stated) by your jeweler just wont cut it
2.gif
). I am from the school of though that thinks if pave work is done right, you shouldnt have any problems with it in the ultrasonic at all. Having said that, I still wouldnt use it everyday, I use my method about once a week, and the ultrasonic about once every 8 wks...seems to work the best for me and my ring...
3.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I use a baby toothbrush with dawn and hot water most of the time. I have no residue because I rinse it very well. Once a week or so I do hot water and ammonia. That really brings out the sparkle. And when I say ''hot'' I mean hot from the faucet; I don''t heat the water at all.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
I''m all for the ultrasonic by Sharper Image....even if you use it once every two months. It does a fantastic job. Sunlight and a toothbrush works for quick jobs for me!

:)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
My cleaning is very detailed, but it seems to work for me and is cheaper than buying a machine. Here''s what I do: Start heating up the tea-kettle, Run the hot water in the sink, cover drain with screen and cloth, (don''t want to drop "my baby down the drain") and 1. wash ring with dish soap and baby toothbrush in sink, 2. then I put cleaning solution (blue stuff that comes in jar with brush), into a small glass container (so I don''t use too much solution) about 3/4 inch deep with solution, then get it hot (17 sec. in my microwave) (I never microwave my ring, just heat up the solution), then I immediately drop my ring in hot solution and let it soak for 3 mins. or so., then use the little brush in the jar to lightly clean under setting, 3.then I suspend the ring over the steam from my tea-kettle ( I usually use a fork) and steam it up nicely, 4.then I dry the ring using a coffee filter (no dust of extra fibers). My ring alway looks just like I had it professionaly cleaned. It seems like alot of work, but I have my routine down, so it take me about 6 minutes and my stone looks gorgeous!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pave ring and I bought stuff from the drug store for $5. It comes in a red jar that says jewelry cleaner and the cleaner is ammonia based. I soak the piece for about 30 seconds and then I scrub it with a soft toothbrush. Afterwards I rinse under luke warm water (plug your sink!!!) and then dry with a non-lint based cloth.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 10:14:15 PM
Author: StarSpun
I''m all for the ultrasonic by Sharper Image....even if you use it once every two months. It does a fantastic job. Sunlight and a toothbrush works for quick jobs for me!

:)
Me too...love my SI ultrasonic. It''s not expensive and gets the job done.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i usually clean it with jewelry cleaner, but once in a while i clean my ring in arm and hammer...sparkles like new.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2007 3:50:01 PM
Author: hearts-arrows_girl
My cleaning is very detailed, but it seems to work for me and is cheaper than buying a machine. Here''s what I do: Start heating up the tea-kettle, Run the hot water in the sink, cover drain with screen and cloth, (don''t want to drop ''my baby down the drain'') and 1. wash ring with dish soap and baby toothbrush in sink, 2. then I put cleaning solution (blue stuff that comes in jar with brush), into a small glass container (so I don''t use too much solution) about 3/4 inch deep with solution, then get it hot (17 sec. in my microwave) (I never microwave my ring, just heat up the solution), then I immediately drop my ring in hot solution and let it soak for 3 mins. or so., then use the little brush in the jar to lightly clean under setting, 3.then I suspend the ring over the steam from my tea-kettle ( I usually use a fork) and steam it up nicely, 4.then I dry the ring using a coffee filter (no dust of extra fibers). My ring alway looks just like I had it professionaly cleaned. It seems like alot of work, but I have my routine down, so it take me about 6 minutes and my stone looks gorgeous!
What kind of solution is that?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
So, my question becomes:

Which gets the ring sparklier? Warm water/dish soap/toothbrush/amonia/alchohol recipe OR the ultrasonic cleaner?

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff called Something New. It''s the only cleaner they will allow at the gem show when in town. They sell this cream that gets off the oxidation. I never thought my rings were really dirty until I use the paste and see all the black coming off onto the paper towel. Then I soak it in the brightener. I can''t tell you how sparkly my bling is after, and belive me people notice.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Jewel Jet steam cleaner and love it. It gets the job done, and very quickly too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results