shape
carat
color
clarity

Duty on lab diamond shipped from USA to Canada

itsmenicole

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone, I'm just about to purchase a lab diamond online from a retailer in Chicago. It will be shipped to Ontario Canada. I know I will have to pay taxes however I'm not quite sure on duty. I emailed the retailer asking where the lab diamond was actually made and they said India. So technically its not under NAFTA (made in the USA, Mexico or Canada). Has anyone else ordered loose lab diamonds from the states? Where you charged with duty? How does customs know where to diamond was actually made? Would the retailer have to disclose that information in documents when they ship it? Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try and avoid using one retailer to find something and then spending my money at another retailer who can get the same thing but at a cheaper price, but in this situation, it may be easier to see if a local (i.e. Canadian) vendor can source the stone you have identified - it should be possible to do so if it has a grading report with a reference number.

Martin Sheffield is a PS-recommended retailer/forum sponsor in Canada and I believe he is also very well priced for both Mined and Lab diamonds. It could be worth speaking to him.

https://usacerteddiamonds.com

I believe this page is for people looking for specific stones with specific grading reports, but I'm not sure if it's only AGS and GIA stones:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results