shape
carat
color
clarity

Duties Brokerage fees and Taxes on James allen ring question

Carlol

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am just about to finalize a purchase would like to know if there are duties and taxes on orders to Canada.
I am from Calgary AB Canada.

this is what I am purchasing: a .74 carat I color VS1 diamond with a knife edge 1.5mm band.

Any help in this regard is very much appreciated.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Duties Brokerage fees and Taxes on James allen ring ques

As long as the diamond and setting are manufactured in the U.S. they will be duty free (free trade agreement). The diamond almost certainly will be (I've never heard of anyone being charged duty on a loose diamond) and you can double check with James Allen about the setting. It does happen from time to time that a setting sold by a U.S. vendor was actually manufactured outside the U.S., and therefore is subject to duty. You can never legally avoid paying sales tax. I'm not sure if James Allen charges it to you before shipping. If not, then you will likely be contacted by Fedex (or other shipper) when the package arrives at customs and be asked to pay the sales tax so the package can be cleared. The other option is that you will be asked to pay the sales tax upon delivery. Good luck!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Duties Brokerage fees and Taxes on James allen ring ques

You pay local sales tax to fedex. Thats it.. lucky you in alberta with low sales tax. There is no custom fee or duty. There is no broker fee; express shipping includes brokerage and custom clearance service.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results