shape
carat
color
clarity

Dust needed for one of the furry family members

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad everyone likes the new pics hahaha, like I said he's my little buddy who I goof around with!

He's doing well now, no more blood and everything else seems to be normal. He's back to his inquisitive-yet-solitary behaviour :dance:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Great to hear that Jordy High five him for me lol

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy,

What a relief! I'm so glad to see that your little buddy is doing great! :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks DF and Cluless!!

Despite recent events, my wife's little sister who lives with us now wants her own kitten and I have said yes in a tentative manner (as long as he gets along with the other cats). But I have laid out some rules about her getting a job and saving money if she wants to have a kitten here as I can't afford this kind of treatment again let alone for someone else's cat!! The kitten she is wanting is a little black cat with blue eyes, I think she tried to butter me up by picking the name 'Casper' after I said it would be a good name for the kitten when she showed me a pic of him :lol:

I think I may be a sucker for punishment like that :roll:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, I can relate to caving in when it comes to pets!

I hope Chucky is up to having an energetic little fur ball around.

:lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DF,

I'm not sure that Chucky will like having another cat around, he gets into bust-ups occasionally with Stinker who is literally twice his size but nowhere near as tough. I think Stinker will love having a kitten to play with so it's more Chucky we have to worry about. We're going to do a trial with the kitten and see how it goes, we don't want Chucky stressed out after his recent hospital and vet visits.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1477126905|4089499 said:
Thanks DF and Cluless!!

Despite recent events, my wife's little sister who lives with us now wants her own kitten and I have said yes in a tentative manner (as long as he gets along with the other cats). But I have laid out some rules about her getting a job and saving money if she wants to have a kitten here as I can't afford this kind of treatment again let alone for someone else's cat!! The kitten she is wanting is a little black cat with blue eyes, I think she tried to butter me up by picking the name 'Casper' after I said it would be a good name for the kitten when she showed me a pic of him :lol:

This is NOT the way to go, believe me.

Chucky is the BOSS right now and he's doing very well, thanks for asking :bigsmile:

Your handsome newly-recovered young guy having to put up with a kittenish newbie?? No way!

Years ago, we adopted a brand new boisterous kitten from the SPCA while we already had an older kitty with health issues. I think that we had 'bought into the 'replacement issue' that I thought we could handle. How naïve we were. 8) The older kitty viewed us as traitors and began to have litter box issues while the young maverick made his life even more miserable.

Just as I would advise one wife or husband at a time, I would recommend one kitty (unless they were littermates) at a time.

Chucky's mental and physical health depends on your decision.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad things are going well jordy.

I did adopt two littermates this last month for our barn. They are pretty wild and had been previously adopted but the people brought them back because they could not tame them. Brother and sister who are very happy catching mice in the barn now.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear he's making a recovery. :) My male cat with FUS had a couple episodes of slight amounts of blood in his urine after he had a blockage cleared. The vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory to be used to treat pain and inflammation. The entire issue seems to have gone away with dietary modifications. Royal Canin SO and Friskies canned, chicken breast, fish, shrimp are all okay to eat. No blockages or flare-ups since probably 2007. Maybe even 2006.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1477160826|4089560 said:
Thanks DF and Cluless!!

Chucky is the BOSS right now and he's doing very well, thanks for asking :bigsmile:

Your handsome newly-recovered young guy having to put up with a kittenish newbie?? No way!

Years ago, we adopted a brand new boisterous kitten from the SPCA while we already had an older kitty with health issues. I think that we had 'bought into the 'replacement issue' that I thought we could handle. How naïve we were. 8) The older kitty viewed us as traitors and began to have litter box issues while the young maverick made his life even more miserable.

Just as I would advise one wife or husband at a time, I would recommend one kitty (unless they were littermates) at a time.

A friend of mine just went through a very similar episode. I may print out your posting and mail it to him. He tried to adopt a kitten from a shelter, but his older cat was so upset by it that he returned the kitten the same day with an extra donation as well as tears and an apology. He had had no idea that a cat would react that way since he had two littermates (Jello and Puddin') before and thought of cats as getting along! (I am a dog person and know nothing about cats.)

So I am delighted for you and Chucky, Jordy. I also thank you for your information, Isabel.

Deb :wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ages ago, I had a dog and cat, and we lived a quiet, peaceful life.

Then I got a kitten.
The most adorable, little grey fluff ball with blue eyes. Sooooo cute he'd melt the heart of a warrior.

However, this sweet little guy was a wound-up ball of energy wanting to play on the time. Like all kittens.
He kept pouncing on the adult dog and cat, who would look at me with sad eyes wondering what they had done to deserve such punishment. I figured things would settle down with a bit of time. It didn't.

One day, the kitten swiped at the dog's nose, drawing blood.
The dog snapped a warning in the air.
The cat became protective of the kitten and started stomping over to do battle with the dog.

By this point, I was able to reach the cat, toss him into another room, check out the dog to ensure she was OK, and come to the decision that I needed to find a new home for the kitten.

If you get the kitten, I really hope it all works out.
We get attached so quickly that its hard to give away a pet.
I believe getting a pet is a commitment to the animal for the rest of its life.
Getting rid of the kitten is the only time I broke that commitment, but I really felt there was no option given the stress the little guy caused on my dog and cat.

But that's just my experience.

As I said, if you go ahead, I hope everyone settles into a peaceful new routine. :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1477404449|4090382 said:
Ages ago, I had a dog and cat, and we lived a quiet, peaceful life.

Then I got a kitten.
The most adorable, little grey fluff ball with blue eyes. Sooooo cute he'd melt the heart of a warrior.

However, this sweet little guy was a wound-up ball of energy wanting to play on the time. Like all kittens.
He kept pouncing on the adult dog and cat, who would look at me with sad eyes wondering what they had done to deserve such punishment. I figured things would settle down with a bit of time. It didn't.

One day, the kitten swiped at the dog's nose, drawing blood.
The dog snapped a warning in the air.
The cat became protective of the kitten and started stomping over to do battle with the dog.

By this point, I was able to reach the cat, toss him into another room, check out the dog to ensure she was OK, and come to the decision that I needed to find a new home for the kitten.

If you get the kitten, I really hope it all works out.
We get attached so quickly that its hard to give away a pet.
I believe getting a pet is a commitment to the animal for the rest of its life.
Getting rid of the kitten is the only time I broke that commitment, but I really felt there was no option given the stress the little guy caused on my dog and cat.

But that's just my experience.

As I said, if you go ahead, I hope everyone settles into a peaceful new routine. :))

Great story with a happy ending. (I was holding my breath there.) This kitten sounds identical to the one my friend adopted and then had to give back. It melted my friend's heart.

Deb :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1477160826|4089560 said:
Thanks DF and Cluless!!

I'm with isaku on this one, jordy...

UNLESS.

You are willing to make the introductions super super super SLOW. Or better put, as long as it takes. That means days or weeks not seeing each other but just smelling each other behind closed doors. Then progressing to allowing each animal to have a chance to explore the other's territory by themselves. Then progressing to allowing them to see each other but safely - e.g., the kitten is in a carrier, or safe enclosure. And IF it goes well perhaps feeding them all together, supervised, so they associate each other with something positive and pleasant. And then if that goes well supervised being together.

And even then, it may not work out.

When I had my senior cat still alive and I rescued my other boy (who at that time was about a year old) even with the proper introduction, as above, the younger one would try to pounce on and bully the senior cat (who was almost blind and deaf at this point). It was just too stressful on him, and on me...so I kept the new cat confined until my senior cat passed away. I felt my loyalty was to my senior cat first even though I felt bad for the new cat.

Then when we rescued our girl, we went through the same round of introductions...and knowing the new cat could be a bit of a bully, we took a long time. It's not an exaggeration to say it took months.

They have a decent relationship, even though he does try to bully her here and there and at times plays way too rough to the point that she hisses at him and cries out. This happens rarely - maybe once a week - but still, I keep a sharp eye on it. She is not afraid of him and minutes later will be chasing him but I feel that is all very fragile and can change at any moment. So I'm always super vigilant.

Hope this doesn't feel like too much of a lecture, jordy. Maybe this is all stuff you already know. And I know everyone's different how they deal with their pets. But I couldn't pass on saying it because maybe it makes sense to you even if you think it's a little overboard. I just want chucky to be OK.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, I'm glad your buddy is doing so well! :appl: I have an only dog because she's a dominant dog. Her house is HERS. She does fine with dogs outside of her house. IN her house is just another story. Very territorial and jealous, so she will stay an only dog. If I smell of another dog she will rub herself ALL OVER ME. Considering she's a 65lb crazy greyhound I keep certain interactions with animals to a minimum.

Otherwise she's as sweet as pie. Won't even bark unless I make her (with treats....lol)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the posts everyone! We didn't end up taking on the kitten as there is such a seriously long and gossipy type of backstory to what happened that my eyes start to glaze over as soon as I start thinking about it :lol: :roll:
But it was probably for the best as I wouldn't want Chucky getting too upset, I honestly think Stinker would cherish a little play mate.

Chucky is doing well at the moment, seems to be back to normal now and we have finished his meds. He's rolling around in the garden and getting covered in dirt right now, little goofball :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A kitten with baggage. Poor thing. :lol:

Glad to hear Chucky is doing well, and I wish him a continued and full recovery. He sounds like quite the character. :))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely cat. I'm glad he is doing well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results