shape
carat
color
clarity

Dust needed for one of the furry family members

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UPDATE: he has been home now for 20 hours, we had some issues getting him to drink but he has just had some water. He has a liquid painkiller that makes him very loopy, he bumps into things and has a very disoriented look on his face which makes you giggle but then you feel terrible. But most importantly, he has been going to the toilet and there is no blood.

Apart from the shortened life it looks like he should be OK but it is still that time after treatment where his health can be in limbo a bit though so there is a small chance he may need to go back in.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes if you put water into a baby eye dropper you can encourage drinking by dropping just a drop at a time on their lips. They'll lick it off (not too much though or they might breathe it in) and at least get some in. My guys never like drinking when they are drugged. It takes too much coordination and effort and they risk getting it up their nose.

Also, if you are feeding dry food, you can soften it with warm water like we do for kittens. That also helps get more liquid in.

Hope he's felling better soon!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cmd2014, we have gotten some water into him with a syringe but the water in the food was something we didn't think of. Many thanks for the idea as we will be doing that tomorrow if he is still reluctant to drink!

Arkieb we are going to a local pet warehouse to get some food that helps with urinary tract disease and infections. We probably won't give it to him often bit every now and then just to help him a bit. Getting him to eat the one the vet gave was no issue, he loved it. So we might try find more of them.

As of right now he's just been given some painkillers so he is a little loopy but very very affectionate. He nuzzled into my face while on the bathroom sink which is something he would never do, kinda enjoying him being this way. I might listen to some hardcore death metal, have a shaved head with beard and tats - but inside I'm a big softy :lol: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the updates and continuing to send healing vibes his way. Sweet Chucky... You have the power of PSers on your side! (((HUGS))).

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
You must be very relieved that Chucky is getting better, Jordyonbass. Urinary blockage is a true veterinary emergency, so I'm glad to hear that he's pulled through and is continuing to improve.
I know what it's like. One of my cats has had urinary blockage twice. Cats with this problem need to drink more water, but as you know, cats in general don't seem to drink very much.
I second the idea of adding water to Chucky's food. Once the effects of the drug wear off, this should be easier for you.
I give my cat canned food once a day and dry food once a day. I get the special one for urinary problems. I still add extra water to the canned food.
I also mix the dry food with water. My cat can't seem to eat the dry morsels floating around in the water, so he has to drink up all the water first, then he can eat the food. So I've figured out how to outsmart him. :lol:
But I wouldn't try that something like that until he's really feeling better and eating well.
I also pay attention to the litter box. My vet told me that some cats only urinate once or twice a day. My cat is one of these, and sometimes it's nerve wracking, wondering if he's starting to block again or just not ready to go.
Both times my cat was sick, he was a bit lethargic when he returned from the vet, but went back to being his old self after a few weeks. I'm sure that Chucky will too.
Good luck!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dust for Chucky! (I just saw this thread tonight.) Does he have a water fountain? If not, maybe try one. I have one cat with FUS issues. He likes fresh cold water from the sink, and water from his fountain. He's on Royal Canin SO dry kibble and Friskies canned foods, mostly pate'. He had one blockage in 2005 and another in 2006 or 2007, but nothing since. The Royal Canin works for him, and getting the fountain was also a good move. I dump and refill it daily. I don't use the charcoal filters in it because I think they would be a place to harbor bacteria. I clean the pump often and replace it for $11 or $12 every 2-4 years or as necessary.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UPDATE: So Chucky is drinking, eating and going to the bathroom regularly but this morning we discovered some blood in his urine. We have my wife's little sister watching him today and we will be taking him in again if he starts to look agitated or there is more blood.

Poor little guy has been through a bit in the last week :(sad

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no Jordy, sorry about this setback, this has been such a rough time for all of you - continuing to send lots of healing dust to Chucky, hugs to everyone.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
My Remington got blocked 11 months ago while I was in Korea tending to my mother. My poor (ex) MIL was watching him when she notice he was crying + screaming trying to urinate.

Ended up with a 2k+ vet bill but they saved my baby. Some people swear by dry food that's specifically formulated for UT issues but I just can't wrap my head around ever giving him dry food again.
Remy now gets exclusive canned food with water mixed in with it - it forces him to drink the water before he can eat. Since I worry about his teeth, he gets a few crunchy dental treats every day but that's the extent of dry food.

And he can never, ever, eeeever get seafood ever again. Seafood will cause him to block again and I wouldn't be able to cope if something happened to him.

Good luck, I wish you the best in taking care of him!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! This is so hard - you all have had a bad week. :(sad Any way that the blood can be a leftover effect and that it just takes a bit of time for his body to work everything through? Unlikely, I suppose, but just trying to think of anything...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1476679906|4087808 said:
Ugh! This is so hard - you all have had a bad week. :(sad Any way that the blood can be a leftover effect and that it just takes a bit of time for his body to work everything through? Unlikely, I suppose, but just trying to think of anything...

That's what we are hoping for as he was a little slow with his water intake at first but seems to be drinking a little more regularly now. We are off to the vet in a couple of hours, he doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort at the moment so hopefully he is on the mend.

Another old pic of him for good vibes, this time lying on his back and sleeping with his tongue sticking out. Such a little goof

fb_img_1476409962440.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed and best wishes for your kitty!! he is adorable. I hope he gets better soon. :cry:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Cute photo - what a sweetie pie!
Jordy, my Bailey also had blood in his urine for a while after both episodes of blockage. I think that is something to be expected, but after what Chucky has been through, you're wise to have it checked out by the vet. Best wishes.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So last night's vet visit went well, he isn't blocked up and doesn't appear to be in pain but his bladder walls seemed to have inflammation which the vet thinks could still he after-effects from his illness.

He seems to be OK today, back to his inquisitive-yet-solitary adventures and very little blood in his urine.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY!!!!!! Glad to hear his vet visit went well today Jordy. I'm sorry you have had a very hard few days. It's never easy when your baby is sick. He is such a cute little guy!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's great Jordy, sounds like he is definitely on the mend and I'm so glad he's feeling better! :appl:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear this jordy.

I think it's time for another updated picture. What do you think? :bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ is right, its time for another pic of Chucky!!!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ and azstonie, you don't have to twist my arm too hard, taken about 30 minutes ago! I have the funniest pic of him and I from about 5 years ago; we look like we are having a tug of war over a bit of lamb using our mouths :lol: :lol:

He's doing well at the moment, doesn't seem to be bothered by anything. The vet also called today and asked about his recovery and we told her that there was minor blood at one point but he seems to be OK. She's happy with his recovery too.

20161019_130605.jpg

20161019_091505.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chucky is one cool cat!!!!

Lol, you better be taking good care of our boy Chucky!!!! Who's making the hand-bowel for him when you aren't home????? He needs water when he needs it!!!!!

Glad to hear he's still doing well, Jordy! :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad Chucky is on the mend, he's a beautiful cat!!!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
azstonie|1476847142|4088452 said:
Chucky is one cool cat!!!!

Lol, you better be taking good care of our boy Chucky!!!! Who's making the hand-bowel for him when you aren't home????? He needs water when he needs it!!!!!

Glad to hear he's still doing well, Jordy! :appl:

Ohh don't worry, he has had basically had 24/7 care from my wife and her sister since coming home! Plus he has his own little glass of water with his food so he drinks from that too. His water intake has really jumped over the last few days so we're hoping he will flush himself of all the blood and will be back to normal soon.
He's been so good while going through all of this; between the cries out for help, 2 nights in hospital with an IV and catheter, the meds and one more visit to the vet - we have felt so bad for the little guy. Yet he doesn't seem too bothered by it all, he is pretty happy right now :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww Chucky is such an adorable sweetie! :love: :love: :love:
Thank you for the happy update and also for the photos. Continuing to send good thoughts and healing vibes his way and please share more photos when you have the time and energy. He is so precious. :love:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alright Missy, more pics then if you say so :lol:
Although I am running out and need to take some more soon, he doesn't like cameras much compared to Stinker :lol:

fb_img_1476872825479.jpg

fb_img_1476872753690.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love:

Omg so precious!!!! And Chucky's not bad either. :lol:
Thank you Jordy for the extra pics.
Love the last pic especially. Chucky's personality just shines through and you can see he is a love. :halo:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl: :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOT a furry cutie patootie. Continued healing vibes.

Maybe the trace of blood was from having a catheter. It happens to humans, too.

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all the pictures! So glad he is doing better.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He looks like a sweet boy...he does look like he is getting annoyed with the picture taking though! I'm so glad he is feeling
better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results