shape
carat
color
clarity

Durable settings that protect gemstones

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
After going back and forth through various options for our upcoming 10th anniversary ring, I've finally found a sapphire that I think (fingers crossed) is the one. It's a 8x6.3mm oval Ceylon sapphire, arriving on Tue and I'm meeting with my jeweller on Wed. The ring will be platinum and the jeweller is very good.

My work is quite hands-on with lots of hand-washing and rummaging around with paperwork. Although I will remove my ring for heavy housework, showering, gardening etc, I want a ring that can stand up to reasonable everyday wear and tear without me having to baby it.

I don't want a bezel. I think they are gorgeous and have had a really well-made one before with a diamond, but I want something different for this sapphire.

I really like the look of the rings in the attached photo but will the diamonds drop out of the sides easily?

An alternative would be a three-stone ring with two smaller round diamonds and a plain shank. Would this be much more durable?

Any other suggestions for maximising durability of design eg low-set, basket setting, more prongs... anything else?

Thanks in advance!

sapphire ring.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful inspirations!! I think choosing a three stone would be more durable as the small diamonds in these bands probably would require more delicate wear. I find for my everyday rings, pave is not for me.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
rings that are ultimate in comfort and require zero babying are my absolute favorite!!

have you considered tab prongs?? a low set classic open basket with a slightly wider donut or an open(ish) gallery for stabilization

if you are looking for a more sturdy and robust ring, requiring no babying, i wouldn't recommend any pave

so many people, have issues with their pave rings

during these times, hand hygeine and hand jewelry hygeine, is of the utmost importance. too much surface area for bacteria and virus to hide. unless you are fastidious about keeping and maintaining clean (jewelry) rings

by the way, the gems in the image you posted are beautiful, perfect blues

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure what it’s called but it looks like a bezel but it’s not. The stone is seated low but held by prongs. I like a unique 6 prong but it’s not everyone’s taste.

Prong set halo will protect the center stone. I don’t recommend tiny pave. Definitely don’t recommend the halo style in the pic below, only the way it’s set super low.

Attachments

• 824601B5-F20A-4AE0-B862-1CA4FD3BAE53.jpeg
    824601B5-F20A-4AE0-B862-1CA4FD3BAE53.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i believe it is known as a faux bezel or illusion bezel.

it is held in place by prongs with a rim of metal around the girdle region of the stone

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, some really great ideas. I will speak to my jeweller about it. I think I am leaning towards the low set open basket, three stone plan.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results