shape
carat
color
clarity

Dumb question

ninetwosix

Rough_Rock
My apologizes for this rather dumb question but does a diamond lose its sparkle over time?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not if you keep it clean.

I've noticed most people do NOT keep them clean, so I can understand how people may think they lose their sparkle over time.

ninetwosix

Rough_Rock
The reason I ask is because I overheard a salesman explaining to a lady why her ring doesn't sparkle as much when she received it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ninetwosix|1303430507|2902265 said:
The reason I ask is because I overheard a salesman explaining to a lady why her ring doesn't sparkle as much when she received it.

Oh.
That's probably because:
1. It is no longer under jewelry store lights which can practically make lumps of coal sparkle.
2. It may be a poorly cut diamond.
3. Both

One thing's for sure.
That salesman is lying through his teeth or is dumber than that lump of coal.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*technically* since all diamonds are reverting to graphite oh-so-slowly - I guess they do lose their sparkle over time :halo:

That said - yeah, he's either ignorant or full of it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1303431937|2902292 said:
*technically* since all diamonds are reverting to graphite oh-so-slowly - I guess they do lose their sparkle over time :halo:

That said - yeah, he's either ignorant or full of it.

yeah, maybe he just wanted to sell a new sparkly diamond?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my goodness, what a silly JEWELER! A diamond isn't like a car that gets hail damage, rust, etc. If you keep it clean, it should sparkle forever (or I guess until it reverts, as yssie wrote :tongue:).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results