shape
carat
color
clarity

Drop pearl pendant inspiration and design help needed

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Please send inspiration! I'm looking for any and all help with design. I am so lost for ideas for a white gold pendant.

I am looking to create a pendant that invokes memories of my honeymoon in Tahiti, so would like to incorporate a Tahitian pearl and 3 tiny (2mm) paraiba tourmalines that remind me of the colour of the water there.

Here are the stones. The pearl is also pretty tiny. It is a drop pearl about 8-9mm, so may be too small to be the central focus?
The metal may have to do the heavy lifting, with the pearl a mere accent. I've played around with all sorts of ocean motifs, but the concepts in my mind are not really translating well.
If anyone has any inspiration photos that they think may work, please let me know!

TIA :)

pearl and paraibas.jpg tahiti.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be inclined to keep it simple, to have the 3 Paraibas set in a triangle as the bail part of a slider pendant that sits on top of the Tahitian pearl.

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Please send inspiration! I'm looking for any and all help with design. I am so lost for ideas for a white gold pendant.

I am looking to create a pendant that invokes memories of my honeymoon in Tahiti, so would like to incorporate a Tahitian pearl and 3 tiny (2mm) paraiba tourmalines that remind me of the colour of the water there.

Here are the stones. The pearl is also pretty tiny. It is a drop pearl about 8-9mm, so may be too small to be the central focus?
The metal may have to do the heavy lifting, with the pearl a mere accent. I've played around with all sorts of ocean motifs, but the concepts in my mind are not really translating well.
If anyone has any inspiration photos that they think may work, please let me know!

TIA :)

pearl and paraibas.jpg tahiti.jpg

You nailed it with the Paraiba tourmalines, but to be honest, the pearl seems like a flat grey. It's hard to tell on the black background. If it were me, I would look for a very colorful Tahitian pearl.

You may want to Kamoka pearl to find a supersaturated beauty. I am attaching a link to show the type of pearl I have in mind. I have worked with them before. Years ago I bought my sister a supersaturated green pearl. It was so lustrous that it looked like it was dipped in metallic gloss. My daughter decided she only wanted a silver pearl with no overtones, which the owner was kind enough to find and make special order.

Edit - another super saturated Tahitian

Last edited:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I would be inclined to keep it simple, to have the 3 Paraibas set in a triangle as the bail part of a slider pendant that sits on top of the Tahitian pearl.

I think you are right and I may end up going simple.. I was hoping for something unique, but the ideas just aren't flowing. And simple is usually less regrettable.

My backup idea is below. The triangular part of this would be solid/engraved metal, and incorporating the paraibas where the three main diamonds are below. Might this work?

charleston-product-image4-1050-600x600.jpg

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
You nailed it with the Paraiba tourmalines, but to be honest, the pearl seems like a flat grey. It's hard to tell on the black background. If it were me, I would look for a very colorful Tahitian pearl.

You may want to Kamoka pearl to find a supersaturated beauty. I am attaching a link to show the type of pearl I have in mind. I have worked with them before. Years ago I bought my sister a supersaturated green pearl. It was so lustrous that it looked like it was dipped in metallic gloss. My daughter decided she only wanted a silver pearl with no overtones, which the owner was kind enough to find and make special order.

Edit - another super saturated Tahitian

Gosh those Kamoka pearls are beautiful!!
I would have definitely gone that route but I actually already have a high lustre metallic green one! I agree, they are amazing.
I figured I would go with a standard grey/black T this time since I don't have have that colour. That was the colour of the pearls I mainly saw when I was in the markets in Tahiti anyway.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are right and I may end up going simple.. I was hoping for something unique, but the ideas just aren't flowing. And simple is usually less regrettable.

My backup idea is below. The triangular part of this would be solid/engraved metal, and incorporating the paraibas where the three main diamonds are below. Might this work?

IMHO, as the Paraibas are small, they would make a bigger visual impact set closely together than being spread out. Hence my suggestion to have them set in a triangle.

The triangle can be upside down or the right way up - I personally would prefer it to be upside down.

Personal preferences and all that.

The paraiba blue is lovely! I wonder if something like the following would appeal to you:

Incorporate the paraiba into the bale for the pendant, into something like a swirl/wave/triangular shape. Make a diamond pave cap for the pearl, with the cap in the shape of palm leaves (or any other leaf that is endemic to Tahiti)!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have photos of other pendants you like? Just so we can get a sense of general style?

Nahoku.com comes to mind as a place for inspiration. A lot of their pieces are wave and island inspired.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
732A9C67-CDDE-47FC-B088-E3DAD93D923D.jpeg

This idea. (I had this saved for a pear shaped pendant but I think you get the idea)

But not at the bottom— paraibas only on top

Daisy_Margaret

Rough_Rock
Hi! Beautiful materials! Wanted to chime in and say that for pearls and designs ideas, Sally and Pomme at Heart of Water are a dream to work with.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow !
Now that's inspiration ! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results