shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress shopping tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So, tomorrow will be my first trial run w/dress shopping. I don''t know why I''m so nervous but I really am. It''s weird! My mom is going w/me and I''m just hoping I find something I like. I don''t plan to buy tomorrow but I''d like to know that certain styles look good vs. others.
I''m going to try David''s Bridal and House of Brides and I think I should at least be able to get a feel for what I like. And I''m definitely taking pics b/c w/my bad memory, I''d have no idea what I liked or how to describe it to anyone.

Wish me luck!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!!! Dress shopping was my favorite part of wedding planning!!!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck Dixie! I''m sure it will be a lot of fun!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Miranda and IrishAngel! I just went through and wrote down styles from David''s that I like so I can take some notes on each.
I''ll report back tomorrow!

xapora

Shiny_Rock
Have fun and take lots of pictures! Good luck!
9.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I had a great time today and think I found my dress! It''s even $50 off at David''s Bridal until the end of the month. Here''s the problem, I liked it when I tried it on (although it needs altering and a good undergarment) but when I looked at the pics, they don''t look so good. My mom liked it a lot on too and said the pics aren''t representative but now I''m really worried.

So the first pic is how it''s supposed to look:

mydavidsdress.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I can''t seem to upload my picture. It says it''s too big so as soon as I figure out how to change that, I will post it
7.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried on that same dress and loved it as well! I ended up going with another one, but don''t let some magazine picture stop you from buying a dress that you loved in person!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Kcoursolle, I wish it was the mag pic that I didn''t like. It''s the one of ME that I don''t like. I liked how it looked in the store, took pics and then looked at the pics of me in the dress. That''s what I don''t like.
I just have to figure out how to resize these darned pics so I can post them. UGH!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Can you use Paint to resize it? That''s what I do.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Last one! Please excuse the old strapless bra that is showing!!

dressresizeback.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks FacetFire. It took me awhile but I finally figured out how to resize in Paint.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don't like the satin bands around the waist. I think that it actually thickens your waist and cuts you in half, whereas the other two make your waist look smaller and lengthen your figure...at least that's how they come across to me in the pics. I like the gathered waist of the last one on you...and the slight sweetheart neckline is beautiful on you!

xapora

Shiny_Rock
I love, love, LOVE the last one on you!!! Based on pictures I would go with that one, but the first one is nice too.
4.gif
Pick which ever one you felt the best in!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I agree with FacetFire, it might be that the shineyness of the ribbon accents is what makes it look different in person and in pictures. You''re going to have wedding pictures, so I''d hold out for something that looks good in both situations. Maybe something like this?
LZ3007f.jpg

It has a natural waist and a dropped waist with the ball gown skirt you seem to like.

This one has the same silloette and similar detailing. Or if you''re trying to do this on the cheap, this BM dress comes in white floor length silk with a variety of ribbon colors. Ribbon maids dress.

I agree that simple seams to suit you. It''s only your first shop, so relax and have fun!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last one looks beautiful on you!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
FacetFire, Xapora, Mercoledi, and Bee, thank you for your input!
What''s funny is that I really don''t like the 3rd one, I just like the simplicity of the look. I don''t like the gathered waist or the beading around the top edge.
Xapora, I definitely liked the first the best. I really liked it when I tried it on. It was the last dress I tried on and as soon as I saw it, I liked it and as soon as I saw all the others I tried on, I didn''t like them. But then when I saw the pics of it on me, I thought, wow, did it look like that?! I was surprised and so was my mom b/c she liked it on too and she definitely would''ve said if she didn''t like it... as she did w/many others!
Mercoledi, you''re right about having wedding pics which is partly why I''m worried. I like the one you posted but am definitely trying to find something cheap. I tried on this gorgeous silk gown at House of Brides but was $2000... way over my budget. I am staying under $500.
I think I will go back after buying a good undergarment but now I''m just so concerned b/c I really thought I found my dress.
8.gif
I wonder if I was just mistaken in the store or why I felt it looked so different on me than in the pics. I was so happy to be done after one day!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry that we are confusing you. I just think that you might want to take another try at dress shopping...I loved some things my first trip that I tried on later and realized were not as flattering as other gowns I tried on later. You are well-endowed up top, and I think that a straight across neckline makes you look top heavy, whereas a nice slight sweetheart does a better job of balancing your top and bottom. And dresses with a band or sash around the natural waist can be really hard to wear. I have tried them on too, and I found that most made my waist thicker looking also...especially in pictures. To thin the waist, I have found that a dropped waist, or gathered waist with plain details (no excessive beading or sashes or any horizontal lines) seem to look the best. Please come back and share more pics with us if you go again!

BTW, have you thought about anything with an off-the-shoulder straps? I think they tend to draw the eye upward and give great contrast with the waist...which also gives the appearance of a slimmer waist. Can you tell I have looked at way too many styles myself? Haha. :)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
FacetFire, you didn''t confuse me, I was just disappointed that what I thought I liked, maybe I really don''t or just doesn''t look the way I thought it did. I didn''t see any dresses w/a sweetheart neckline to even try on and I did try on many others that I didn''t post pics of. I''ll have to look around for that. What you said about a dropped waist makes sense and I''ll keep that in mind. I realized that there were a lot on my list that I didn''t get to try on (b/c they didn''t have my size) so I will go to another store and try on others.
I''m not giving up on the first dress yet but won''t stop the search as soon as I thought I would. It''s just a little disappointing b/c I was so happy after going to the two stores and now just not so happy.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone post some pics of dresses w/dropped waist vs. natural waist? I think I understand the contrast but not quite sure and am having a hard time distinguishing it in pics that I''ve found.

Thanks!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a dropped waist...it just means that the point of details or break into the skirt is lower...it gives a more elongated upper look...

dropped waist sweetheart.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks FacetFire, that helped! I definitely understand now.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
This is a natural waist...it falls at the point you would call the tiniest part of your torso. But, see how it shortens her upper body?

V7008naturalwaist.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And I don''t think you need a full sweetheart neckline, just a slight curve at least...the last dress you posted has that curve and it looks so nice on you! I found that a slight curve flatters me much more too...

I hope that helps! I can''t wait to see what else you find! I love seeing the gowns on you...your dark hair makes for such a nice contrast with the white gowns...I''m jealous!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I do see the difference in the natural vs. dropped regarding the shortening of the upper body. I never noticed that before. I also see what you mean about the neckline. Ok, I guess I''m feeling a little better now, at least it was a learning experience. It was just nice to think that I wouldn''t have to go back and try on more dresses. Oh well, too good to be true!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
The same thing happened to me! I LOOOOVED a dress at DBs and when I rushed home to look at what I thought would be THE dress, I hated it!! I mean, the pic was so different than what I thought that I literally didn''t like it anymore. The pic was that bad. And I can''t explain it either but...well...I looked chunky, and the dress didn''t have nice underlinings and on and on and on. I figured DBs has weird mirrors that cause you to love what you look like in person or something.

But, yeah...if you hated you in the pics.....I hate to say this....but pretty much it''ll be the same for your wedding day. Sure, the photographer will be professional and you''ll have better lighting etc, but it won''t be drastically better. I say have DB person put a corseted bra on you and a crinoline skirt and try it on one more time if you can''t get it outta your head. Take more pics. Then make that final decision if you want to.

Other than that, I can''t suggest Maggie Sottero gowns more!! And she truly makes a few styles that are under $500. The Rebecca is one of them. I looked up the MSRP and lots of shops sell Maggies at MSRP. Okay....go try on just one so you can see if there is any difference in how they frame your body. Her gowns are usually made with an assymetrical waist and lots had that slight sweethearted neckline that Facetfire recommended.....they really DO compliment those with a shorter chest area (from collarbone to begining of actual boob)....like mine....without the dramatic proper sweetheart style. Her gowns also hold a girl in like you would NOT believe. With no extra bra either. Just a (very bias) suggestion. I think one that has less of the embellishments is...I wanna say..Olympia??

Keep us posted!! Oh and btw, I''m going out on a limb and saying I actually think the SECOND dress looked HOT on you :) I liked it the best. That ball gown skirt gave you such a sillohuette
30.gif
30.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and definitely try on a v-neckline!!! It may not be your first choice by sight....but you never know until you try on at least one of every type of neckline!!! Trust me.........I''m a 2 dress bride for a reason
31.gif
31.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dixie! The first dress is ok, the second one I don''t like so much, and the third one I LOVE! It just looks cleaner. Did you have a good time? =)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to say I''m not crazy about the first dress... I don''t think the horizontal ribbons flatter you at all. The third one is my favorite by far. I say go try other dresses to see!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:03:17 PM
Author: dixie94
Ok, I lied, here''s a few more pics of other dresses. This one I liked but didn''t really like the beading on top. I''ve decided that I just like something very simple and I always thought I would want the beading. My mom also thought this one didn''t look like it was made as well, especially how the bottom lays.
I see what you mean now about the pics. It''s a little hard to tell how the first one would look on you, because it doesn''t fit...

However, I actually really think the style of the second one is gorgeous on you and very flattering!! If you don''t like that particular dress maybe you can find one similar that you like and then have some ribbons sewed on like the other one. However, I would have them sewn on the bottom and on the bust instead of on the waist...it adds thickness where you don''t want it on the waist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results