shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress shopping pics... please help me rank them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
3 is my favorite, followed by 4, 2, and 1. From one shorty to another, you might want to steer clear of dresses that have detailing at the bottom of the skirt, because I think those can definitely shorten the legs. I had my heart set on that kind of skirt, but had to realize it didn''t work for my body.

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
I love #2...you look great in all of them but #2 has a ''Wow'' factor! Beautiful!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
First, they all look lovely on you. My eye was immediately drawn to #2, hand''s down. Beautiful lines and really timeless, soft and elegant. My second fav is #1. The neckline of the other two always make me think of brides who need to keep pulling up their strapless gowns. (I know fit has a lot to do with this!)

Really, you''ve picked beautiful styles and I don''t really think you could go wrong here!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2!!!

Then 1, 4, and 3 in that order.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
It''s number 2, 3, 4 and 1 for me. Beautiful dresses, it''s so hard to make a choice!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I''m a 2 & 1 fan. I don''t think 3 or 4 look that great on you. It''s just kinda there.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
1 or 2. I can tolerate 3, but I actively dislike 4. You look smooshed up top and I hate the bodice shape.

cincin090

Shiny_Rock
I like #2 the best. Like everyone else said, it just looks classic and timeless.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
1, 3, 2, 4... But, I''m not a lace fan, so that may be a bit biased. Good luck with choosing one.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
My vote: 4, 3, 1, 2

After seeing closeup pics, I really like the detailing on the bodice of #3 best, but I like the shape of the skirt in #4. I don''t like the ribbon detailing under the bust on the first two dresses. Its a bit too princessy/cutesy for me, but I''m a kind of a ''less is more'' kind of person. Do you have pictures of the backs?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I vote #2, it looks stunning on you!!

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
They are all very pretty, but I like 2 and then 3. I really can''t explain why, other than I think they look amazing on you!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Right off the bat, I like #1 and #3. Gorgeous picks!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think you look lovely in all of them. I like the scooped neck of 3 and 4--seems to enhance your curves somehow. I think 4 would probably look great if the dress fit you properly, so for now I think I''ll go with dress number 3. They really are all beautiful, though, and you will look gorgeous no matter what.
1.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I like #2, and then #1. The detailing on #3 is lovely, but somehow it''s managing to make you look as though you''re slouching. #4 is eh.

I think the ribbon under the bust on #1 and #2 is extremely flattering - it keeps the drop waist from making you look shorter, and instead you just look sleek and trim and awesome.

I think Freke is right - clearly the problem here is that all the dresses look good on you. No wonder you''re having trouble!

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
On first glance, I favored the 1st dress, but I also like the top of #3.

I haven''t read through all the comments, but I''m curious if you had a preference for a dress with a defined top and bottom? You mention that you are standing on pedestals in all of the photos, so in actuality, the skirts will be shortened, and since you mentioned you''re not tall, I don''t know if the "half" look is going to work that well (depending on what your exact height is relative to what it looks like in the photo).

I think if you are looking for something that will elongate and make you look taller, I would avoid any dress with a defined waistline b/c it will cut you in half. It doesn''t look that way in the photos of course b/c you''re on the pedestal, but I''d be curious to see how they looked when you were on the ground in heels.

Did you try any dresses yet that don''t have that defined waistline?

I think the dresses you''ve shown are pretty on you, but I don''t think they''re going to do anything for adding height, and, in fact, may shorten you once you see it hemmed to your size.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and just guessing, but is #3 perhaps the one that is most expensive?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
havernell, JulieN, NYCsparkle, alleycat, honey22, lauralu, bee*, PostIt, Fancy605, scarlet16, brazen_irish_hussy, claireabelle, Sabine, HeadOverHeels4James, ahappygirl, Courtneylub, anchor31, lliang_chi, purrfectpear, cincin090, Stephanie, portia, meresal, bensbride, tberube, gwendolyn, pjean, thank you so much for the feedback on these dresses! They''re so helpful, and I think I''m coming closer to a decision!

I tallied the rankings, and it looks like dress #2 is winning, then next is #3, then 1 and 4. There were 6 people who specifically said they prefer the neckline on 3 and 4, and 4 people who said they prefer the straight neckline. Then again, several people said they wouldn''t even consider 3 and 4.

I had initially preferred dress #3 first, then #2, 4, and 1, but not with very strong preferences. The heaviest dress is #1 even though I like the look of it, so it might be not be as comfortable as the others for the summer. I was on the fence about the neckline, and I like the fabric on #3 the most. #2 is the cheapest and #3 the most expensive by a large margin, so it''s great that #2 is ranking the highest right now!
3.gif
I''m going to keep thinking about 2 and 3, but I''m leaning more towards 2 now based on the votes. My small concerns were that it might look a little young because of the sequins and slight pick-ups on the skirt, and that maybe it''s a bit popular. Also, it''s a two-piece, while the others are one-piece, so it felt a little less like a wedding dress than the others. But those are pretty minor concerns, so I would still definitely go for it if it looked the best.

Thanks again, ladies!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
newbie124, you make good points. I did try on a lot of silhouettes, but they all looked pretty blah on me except the empire and dropped waist. I''ve thought about the defined waistline making me look short, but I couldn''t really find ones without the defined waistline that looked good, or else they would require enough alterations to other areas like the bust so that I thought it too risky to go for them.

Good guess on the expensive one!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thats my preference
1.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Can I put in 300 votes for number 3?!!!!

Ok normally when someone says she is short I say, don''t pick anything that has a dropped waist. But you look so awesome in #3 that we can make an exception to that rule. It looks like a Reem Acra. Gorgeous. I don''t like #1 or #2 because of the dropped waist. I think they both have a bulky seam at the dropped waist...they look almost like a two piece because of that seam.

#4 is also nice but like miraclerules said, the top does not fit you well under the arms.

Jcrow is also very petite, and she seriously rocked her dropped waist Reem Acra gown. You should look for her wedding photos. She looked GORGEOUS.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I like 1 & 2.
4 isn''t bad, I don''t like 3 as much as the others.

Date: 6/27/2008 12:15:02 PM
Author: CrownJewel
Can I put in 300 votes for number 3?!!!!

Ok normally when someone says she is short I say, don''t pick anything that has a dropped waist. But you look so awesome in #3 that we can make an exception to that rule. It looks like a Reem Acra. Gorgeous. I don''t like #1 or #2 because of the dropped waist. I think they both have a bulky seam at the dropped waist...they look almost like a two piece because of that seam.

#4 is also nice but like miraclerules said, the top does not fit you well under the arms.

Jcrow is also very petite, and she seriously rocked her dropped waist Reem Acra gown. You should look for her wedding photos. She looked GORGEOUS.
Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!! I have not read so I''m not sure if #3 is a Reem, but that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. It looks like a Reem and it is BY FAR (in my opinion) the most stunning, classic, and gorgeous on you! I absolutely love it and think you look fantastic in it.

Whilte your figure looks great in everything, I really don''t prefer the "upturned" V in dresses 1 and 2. I can''t quite articulate it but I just think #3 looks much richer and classier!

Which was your favorite?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
As someone who is short, 5''2, 2 is a bad choice, imo. It looks great on the pedastal, but the lower waist that is a second piece is going to really shorten you. A dropped waist is one thing, but a waist that is entirely seperate piece bisects and really isn''t going to be what you want I think.

Do you have any pics of the pedastal? I think you would find people''s opinions would be different in that case

While you look great, you might consider looking at more dresses since you aren''t sure.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
2-1-3-4 (from most favorite to lease favorite)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
2-1-3-4 (from most favorite to lease favorite)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 1:29:30 AM
Author:Kim N

I''m having the hardest time deciding on a dress. I can''t say that I''ve been totally over the moon about any dress so far, but then again, it''s not really in my personality to cry or gush about a dress. I''ve just been discouraged from my shopping experiences so far, and I''ve already tried on 30 dresses.

I''d love to hear how you''d rank these dresses from #1-4. I realize they''re very similar--I tended to go for the empire or dropped waist gowns with a-line or modified a-line skirts. ...

I think you look very pretty and proportioned in all of your selections. One observation jumped out at me from what you wrote, though; whenever a woman expresses both that she''s not been crazy about dresses *and* has tended to go for one specific type, it begs the question: perhaps her preconceived notions narrowed the field far too soon?

A petite friend of mine initially thought that she would be going with a dress very similar to what you have posted (strapless, satin, fitted bodice). When she entered the bridal salon, the sales girl asked if she could bring some things that *she* thought might work for the bride-to-be. Though initially resistant, after not being pleased with the selections she had chosen for herself, my friend tried on a victorian-inspired lace overlay empire-waisted dress with short sleeves that the sales girl suggested and... voila! She knew INSTANTLY it was "the one", even though she would have NEVER chosen it for herself from the racks.

If you haven''t been thrilled with the ones you''ve chosen for yourself so far, might it be worthwhile to kind of start anew with someone else (like an experienced bridal sales consultant who knows all the lines very well) doing the choosing for you?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I dont like any of them really, and I think you're feeling ambivalent because you also dont love any of them, so why settle if you have time to keep looking? What I dont like is the drop waist, I think it doesn't do anything good for anyone. No matter the body type. And you're quite slim and I think the tightness of the rest of the torso on those gowns just makes you look really skinny (not in a good way), rather than accentuating your lovely curves. I do think your body type would look amazing in something styled like Haven's asymmetrical wrap style gown. It would give you a bit more curves and you have the body for it. Try it, see what you think! You are so slim that you can take a dress with more fluff or frou frou on it to add shape, I'd also go to a really good salon and see what they can come up with. I'd also show them these photos and tell them what you dont like about these dresses so they can show you something completely different.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, who makes #3? (As a tall girl, I *love* the wider neckline and have thought about getting something very similar to that for myself!)

ljsmith001

Shiny_Rock
Definitely Numbers One and TWO!! Those two are beautiful! I don''t like either 3 or 4 enough to advise you to purchase, but the first two are stunning!!!! BTW - Can you tell us which one is the expensive one?!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results