shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress help

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0413.JPG What do you think of these dresses for a special occasion? Do you prefer blue or black ? How would you accessorise them ? TY :) If you know similar brand styles that would be welcome :).. I'm 29 btw

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the navy for a lady of your age. I wear a lot of black, but then I’m a lot older than you :lol: The good thing about navy is that you can literally just pick a colour for accessories and it’ll go. What type of event is it that you’re going to, is it a formal evening thing, or less formal, because that would determine what colour accessories I’d choose?

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I really like the navy for a lady of your age. I wear a lot of black, but then I’m a lot older than you :lol: The good thing about navy is that you can literally just pick a colour for accessories and it’ll go. What type of event is it that you’re going to, is it a formal evening thing, or less formal, because that would determine what colour accessories I’d choose?

Thank you for your reply, it is a formal evening (keeping in mind that it is for my age group), so all extravagancies allowed :)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I much prefer black but this also depends on what color /season type you are. I am winter with spring as secondary. Winters look great in black. But stylists will tell you that black is not the color that looks great on everyone, it is actually navy. So unless you know your type or want to consult a stylist, pick navy. A third choice I would recommend for summer more and also knowing your age is nude, rose nude especially is gorgeous.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, have been told that black and navy usually suit me. I am middle-eastern, I have included a pic although the lighting isn't great. I also agree with rose nude but as of now I haven't found a dress I like, if you have any vendors in mind please don't hesitate :) fullsizeoutput_a7.jpeg at

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You have similar coloring to me. I find that while navy suits everyone, black is more striking with our color. I do think the rose nude would be gorgeous on you just not sure what vendors to recommend because I live in Europe and shop here. H&M used to have this style in rose nude but this year I have not seen it in that color. Love this style, bought it in white this year. Very inexpensive, so not so fancy but I think they actually do have some nice stuff.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
You have similar coloring to me. I find that while navy suits everyone, black is more striking with our color. I do think the rose nude would be gorgeous on you just not sure what vendors to recommend because I live in Europe and shop here. H&M used to have this style in rose nude but this year I have not seen it in that color. Love this style, bought it in white this year. Very inexpensive, so not so fancy but I think they actually do have some nice stuff.

Thank you :) I live in Europe too! So if you have recommendations I am all ears :). Not quite sure about h&m though, I would prefer a little upscale as this is a really important event in my heart - nnot that price is everything that matters - (around 400 max I would say). Yes it is true that I have been told black particularly suits me

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love these dresses and prefer the blue. I think Tadashi Shoji makes beautiful dresses. I have bought them from Nordstrom in the past.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I love these dresses and prefer the blue. I think Tadashi Shoji makes beautiful dresses. I have bought them from Nordstrom in the past.

Thank you, I will look now :) I have family in America so it is also a possibility, although Europe would be more practical

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
The dresses are really pretty! I like the tied sash. I'd go with the navy in spring/summer/fall and the black in winter. I usually like to get dresses from Lulus.com but I am based in the US. It seems they might have international shipping though.

@OdetteOdile I second Tadashi Shoji dresses ... oh and also Adrianna Papell.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
alain manoukian & ted baker = nice EU options for semi-formal dresses

i have a tadashi shoji dress too, simple & elegant styles but not sure how easy they are to find in europe

happy shopping=)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Both dresses are great options! Check out Eliza J, I really like her dresses.

What shoes are you considering? A strappy stilleto sandal would look nice.

Given the higher neck line and lace detail, I would recommend statement earrings and a bracelet!

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Both dresses are great options! Check out Eliza J, I really like her dresses.

What shoes are you considering? A strappy stilleto sandal would look nice.

Given the higher neck line and lace detail, I would recommend statement earrings and a bracelet!

Thank you, I am looking at all these styles now :). Yes I am thinking strappy stiletto. Would black be ok? I need something that holds the foot well or I will fall :) :) (my feet are slightly disbalanced)

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
13477898_1200_A.jpg Would these be ok or too thick ? I like them because they are a mixture of suede and iridescent

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, I am looking at all these styles now :). Yes I am thinking strappy stiletto. Would black be ok? I need something that holds the foot well or I will fall :) :) (my feet are slightly disbalanced)

Black is always timeless, but a nude color might provide more contrast and would be very versatile. You may want to consider a wedge, block heel, or flat if you have concerns about falling. Better to be safe than sorry!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Black is always timeless, but a nude color might provide more contrast and would be very versatile. You may want to consider a wedge, block heel, or flat if you have concerns about falling. Better to be safe than sorry!

8401255_500_A.jpg 4734368_500_A.jpg Something like these? I'm fine withh stilettos I just need the straps :p

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could actually find the sandals the model is wearing!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think any of those could work, I like the first nude pair that you posted the best! It's super versatile and you could wear them with jeans in the future too! If you're going for a dressier look, the metallic ones are nice too.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I think any of those could work, I like the first nude pair that you posted the best! It's super versatile and you could wear them with jeans in the future too! If you're going for a dressier look, the metallic ones are nice too.

TY, I'm going to see them in the store for the first two and then I'll know more. Dressier would def be nice :). What would you accessorize with?

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
affb0bf58199ad822e24344dd8f15a70.jpg I wanted to do my hair something like (with maybe hair embellissements) this but I wonder if it would be better up

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
If you plan on dancing and drinking a little bit then I'd plan an up do where your hair is off of your forehead.

On the rare occasion that I indulge in a few glasses, I find that alcohol always warms me and with dancing a fair bit its easy to become a hot mess!

With your coloring I think either deep navy or black would work. If youre only considering that dress style I do lean towards the darker blue as black with black beading on the bodice/chest comes off as cheap, of course this is only my humble opinion.

I say do the dark navy with matching dark blue heels and a fuschia colored clutch! For some pop of color!
Really it all comes down to what you personally feel beautiful in though (:

I love love the 2nd dress that @JPie posted & think it would look stunning with nude strapy heels or even tan chunky heels.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
TY, I'm going to see them in the store for the first two and then I'll know more. Dressier would def be nice :). What would you accessorize with?

My first choice would be a pair of drop earrings. But you could always do studs or other statement earrings. With the lace dress and the high neckline, I probably wouldn't wear a necklace. You could also do a blingy bracelet!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
13477898_1200_A.jpg Would these be ok or too thick ? I like them because they are a mixture of suede and iridescent

Cool shoes
love the navy
Everyone here does black
I think dark blue is less harsh

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I prefer the first nude sandals, gorgeous!!! Karen Millen dresses are beautiful. I like Max Mara, max and co. Rinascimento has gorgeous dresses too. Honestly, most of my dresses are custom made by local designers. Let me look for you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disclaimer - I am a woman of a certain age (reads mid 50s), oriental with grey hair, plus size and don't really follow trends or fashion, and have strong personal likes and dislikes.

Although I can wear navy, I seldom wear it as I prefer black. Nearly all my accessories are black except for a few handbags that are metallic grey.

Therefore, I would choose black over blue without any hesitation.

The neckline of the dress will not suit me as it is too high and I prefer V necks that are more flattering to me with a chunky short neck.

If I were the young lady wearing the black dress, for jewellery, I would probably:
a) wear a strand of white or Tahitian pearls at choker length around 16in so that it will sit above the neckline of the dress, with a pair of diamond studs or small huggies
b) wear nothing around the neck as the upper part of the dress is quite sparkly, and wear a pair of statement earrings that dangles
c) a solitaire diamond necklace sitting above the neckline, and a pair of diamond studs for a more understated elegance

As for on the wrists, watch on one hand and bracelets on the other.

Accessories wise, small handbags, probably clutches or one with a short chain or strap, in black or silver. As for shoes, black or silver in styles to suit for the occasions - personally I would wear black suede and heels.

All personal tastes and preferences etc. etc...

Have fun!

DK :))

Adding in my 2 cents: for the dress that you linked specifically, I prefer the blue to the black. I also prefer to have my shoes and my purse match, so if you go nude shoes I would carry a nice nude clutch with it. I’m just someone who likes to dress classic and go dramatic with my accessories! If you have some big, dramatic CS earrings I would wear those; else any statement earrings in the ears and a dress watch on one wrist and bracelet on the other (depending on how dressy the event and the earrings), and rings. Love your chosen hairstyle.

As for other dress brands: I adore Tadashi Shoji but I’m unsure if his clothes are available outside of the US. I also love Karen Millen and Ted Baker as mentioned up thread. ASOS can be great too and at a lower price point. I also really like Adolfo Dominguez but his clothing maybe tends bit more casual. Phase 8 is also a great UK brand. If you are located in the UK, I’ve had great luck in Debenhams looking for occasionwear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results