shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress for an "older" bride?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies :) For a little background, my fiance and I decided to go to Hawaii and get married on the beach in a simple ceremony, just the two of us. I am about to turn 46 and both of us have been married before.

I decided while I do not want a "formal" type wedding dress, I do want to wear something special when I say "I do". I looked online at a couple of department store type places, but I really do want something special and not an averge off-the-rack type dress.

Here are the two that I think I have narrowed it down to, and would have it custom made in ivory and without a train. I am about 5''3" and wear an 8-10 if that makes any difference.

What do you think? Appropriate or not? I''m thinking either of these could be worn again to other events if done without the train.

#1 http://www.1koo.com/wedding/itemdetailc.asp?itemid=HSc0158

#2 http://www.1koo.com/wedding/itemdetailc.asp?itemid=HSC0206

E B

Ideal_Rock
ImpatientOne,

I think they''re both beautiful! The second one is a Nicole Miller, and is actually available at Nordstrom''s on sale. They only have a size 8 left, but it might work since you mentioned you''re between an 8 and a 10:

Nicole Miller Knot Front

If you decide to go custom, I think either would be beautiful and very beach appropriate! Just make sure to have it made in a fabric that breathes.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 3:57:18 PM
Author: EBree
ImpatientOne,

I think they''re both beautiful! The second one is a Nicole Miller, and is actually available at Nordstrom''s on sale. They only have a size 8 left, but it might work since you mentioned you''re between an 8 and a 10:

Nicole Miller Knot Front

If you decide to go custom, I think either would be beautiful and very beach appropriate! Just make sure to have it made in a fabric that breathes.
Thanks for the link, EBree! Wow, the dress is on sale for $659 and I still would have to have it altered as I am short! To have the dress custom made it would only be a fraction of the cost.

I am really leaning towards #1. Any suggestions of fabric?

Thanks in advance!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 4:03:04 PM
Author: ImpatientOne

I am really leaning towards #1. Any suggestions of fabric?

Thanks in advance!

Someone who knows more about fabrics might chip in, but I know that polyester doesn't breathe well so I'd steer clear of synthetics.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW! I absolutely LOVE the 2nd!!! The slight cap of the sleave! WOW! Not to mention, it looks/seems like a great quality peice!
I am doing a more casual thing too, and I am only 5''1" - imagine!! haha. I have nixed the train as well!

GL with your decision!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Silk. Silk Charmuse (spelling) would be nice.

Um... Please read the recent threads by the ladies on here who have had recent custom made gowns.

When I was exploring that option I found that anyone with experience with custom wedding dress creations was expensive...most of the gowns from the seamstress/ designers who were similar quality to those I saw in stores cost quite a bit. Its a time consuming process if its done right : measuring, pattern making, muslin, muslin fitting, then making the actual gown... and fitting that. It doesn't come cheap.

I sew some, and make things for myself at times... and I took classes from a woman who did design wedding gowns... and it was not cheap. And she worked out of her house with little or no overhead!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gypsy. There is a certain amount of ''unknown'' that goes along with custom...price, outcome, timeliness, etc. Obviously do what ever you are comfortable, but being risk adverse, I am trying to avoid that senario...

Actually, I visited a pricey custom gown maker here in Toronto with my mom (who is an avid seamstress) and she pointed out a lot of short-cuts that the designer was taking...which turned me off even more. Sometimes, it''s nice to see exactly what you''re paying for...

...just saying *wink*

2 cents.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second gown!!! The cap sleeves are so pretty. However, I''m not sure I''d want the big bow in the back. A small one, yes, but a big poofy one like shown in the picture...probably not.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Some other ideas:

Both from Nordstrom.com

This one is $300

ABSgownNordstrom.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Another for $178:

BariJayNordstrom.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
This one for $238

NicoleMillerNordstrom.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Nice Facetfire ! Gorge!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo! Nice ideas, FF! I''ll try too.....

Nicole Miller, criss-cross back gown, $595 from Neiman Marcus:
NMT0DGP_mn.jpg

NMT0DGP_an.jpg

Nicole Miller empire gown with lace inset in back. $330 from NM:
NMT0DGN_mn.jpg

NMT0DGN_an.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh! I like all of them!!!! Thanks for the suggestions
emteeth.gif
My B-I-L works for Nordstroms, so anything I buy there I get a 35% discount ;-)

E B

Ideal_Rock
The first dress Facet posted is PERFECT for a beach wedding.
30.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
One last one... only $130 in silk and similar to the NM you liked. It''s a 14 but JCrew sizes run funny. Get another 10% off with "SNTL".
80165_NA6434.jpg

J Crew Justine

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The dresses the ladies found for you are beautiful! I would ask at either Nordstom or NM if they can have the alterations done there (they do it for suits, might do if for gowns as well). Have it custom fitted by them so that if there is a mistake made... they are responsible and would be in the best postion to replace the gown for you. Also, I know that with mens suits at Nordstrom they will continue to provide alterations for you as long as own the article of clothing... so if you lose a little weight before the wedding, you can get it re-fitted.

That would be my choice. Off the rack gown with custom alterations from the place I purchased it.

I know that saving money is important. But saving yourself stress is important too.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that the first one FacetFire posted is my fave, too, (gorgeous!!!) but it is a trumpet-style skirt which pretty much works only on the non-hippy and tall/thin types. However, maybe it looks a lot different in person and the trumpet portion is not as flared as it looks in the picture. Could be worth a try-on!!!
1.gif

ETA: I agree with Gypsy that going with an off-the-rack gown with custom alterations would be a great way to go. Less stress, and better liability if something goes wrong. Plus, you just can't go wrong with a silk dress from NM or Nordstrom!!!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 6:25:56 PM
Author: KristyDarling
I have to say that the first one FacetFire posted is my fave, too, (gorgeous!!!) but it is a trumpet-style skirt which pretty much works only on the non-hippy and tall/thin types. However, maybe it looks a lot different in person and the trumpet portion is not as flared as it looks in the picture. Could be worth a try-on!!!
1.gif

ETA: I agree with Gypsy that going with an off-the-rack gown with custom alterations would be a great way to go. Less stress, and better liability if something goes wrong. Plus, you just can''t go wrong with a silk dress from NM or Nordstrom!!!
Yeah, I love it too, but I am definitely on the "hippy" side! I think I will take a walk down to Nordstroms and Macys on my lunch break tomorrow, if I have time. I think you guys are right about getting somethig of the rack and havingit tailored...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what? I think there are so many options for "older" brides! Why? My mother married my father when she was 26 (1969) and wore a beautiful Tiffany-ish blue silk sheath dress trimmed in Alencon lace..she was gorgeous. It was a destination wedding way back then (Ft. Lauderdale, and no she wasn''t pregnant, lol). My father and she just decided they wanted to go to FL and get married, so they hopped on a plane, she wandered into a store in Ft. L. when they landed and found a dress, and that was that! To me, that''s the epitome of style--when you can carry off something that is totally untraditional and look fabulous doing so.

But this isn''t about my mother...just wanted to share that story because you''re not considering yourself a "traditional" young bride!

I like both the dresses you posted, but have you considered something short? There are lots of gorgeous dresses out there that are cocktail length in ivory or white! Someone else posted a J.Crew floor-length dress...they also carry a style called "Avery" I believe, in ivory that is a beautiful silk and would be perfect for a wedding such as yours, IMO. And if you''re concerned about wearing it again, you definitely could.

Best of luck to you!
35.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 4:52:48 PM
Author: FacetFire
Another for $178:
I ordered this halter gown from nordstroms and was very disappointed when I received it. I ended up returning it the same day. The lace looked cheap in person and sort of a dirty ivory color rather than a pretty ivory color. The fabric felt chinsy (sp). On the flip side, however, nordstroms returns was really easy!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple of custom made patterns that are close to what you were looking at...and I think very appropriate for a beach wedding. My dress will be "homemade" and I am going to be using crepe back satin...that way, if you want shine you have satin...if you don''t want shine, you have crepe. This is a very nice light weight fabric that hangs very nicely. I will post the other pattern in the next post...

pattern.JPG

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Hope these might be of help - they would defintely help on saving money...
My patterns I got at Joanns when they had their patterns on for $1 each...and I got my crepe back satin with a coupon of 50% off one item :} And my lace, for either overlay or for jacket I got at Walmart for $2.97 a yard whereas it was like $7.99 at Joanns, and not as pretty..those are my deals...
My dress will be made for like $50 US. Now I call that a deal - giggle :}

pattern2.JPG

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
This one is close to one of the others also :}

pattern6.JPG

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
wifey2b - are you sewing your own dress???? OM gosh, I haven''t sewn anything other than a button since jr high home-ec class! I am impressed!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don''t think you''d be wearing either of those to other events.... but of course I can''t speak for you.... just the dress feels to sacred to wear to the opera LOL I dunno, maybe I''m kooky!! I like the first one better for wearagainability, the second is a bit more... involved. I like traveling gal''s dress.... have you looked at any like that? or a simple sheath?

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 1:28:21 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
wifey2b - are you sewing your own dress???? OM gosh, I haven''t sewn anything other than a button since jr high home-ec class! I am impressed!
I will be doing some of it, but will also have help from my mother and sister if needed :}
I do not like sewing the best, but I need to cut cost as much as possible, and my sister made her dress and it was beautiful :} So wish me luck everyone - I can''t post my idea cuz we know u-no-who would probably peek.
9.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another J. Crew option- the Sophia dress for 195.

Here is the Avery Dress someone else mentioned- one of my bridesmaids wore this (I let them choose between 6 different styles) and felt a little exposed up top.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I found it!!!! I went to both Nordstrom and Macys today and ended up getting this dress!
emteeth.gif

http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=bridal&style=1006

I had seen it online and sent an email to inquire about it, so was thrilled to find it in person today! I was originally thinking I would go with ivory, however, when I tried on the white it looked so much better with my skin color, so I went with that. Plus I think the white will be nice for a beach wedding. The sales girl assured me white would be okay, and since it isn't a really formal wedding gown, I don't think Emily Post would chastise me for wearing white.

So, the dress is ordered & should be here in a week or two. Don't think I'll need much done to it other than having it shortened. I thought it really flatters my figure and is just what I was looking for - simple but elegant
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results