shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Fitting Woes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I had my second dress fitting today . . . and my dress was too tight. I am so bummed and felt totally embarrassed when I was trying it on. The seamstress (very kindly) asked me if I was having my period, but I wasn''t. My beautiful dress looked so lumpy, and it was pulling in all the wrong places.

When I got home, I immediately tried on my skinniest jeans (I don''t weigh myself, so this is how I keep tabs on my weight), and they fit just fine--not too tight at all. I''m not sure what was going on. My seamstress insisted she only took it in as much as she had measured at my first fitting, and she is very skilled, so I don''t think she made a mistake.

I have no idea whether I should try to lose some weight, and if so, how I should go about doing so (I''ve never been on a diet). I am worried my dress won''t look pretty and that people will wonder why I chose such an unflattering gown.

Has anyone else felt this way? Any words of wisdom for me?

dboatsupreme

Rough_Rock
Aww, I tried on my dress for the first time this past weekend and I felt the same way. It was too tight between bust and waist, so it barely zipped up and looked very unflattering. The next day I had my period, so I don''t know if it had anything to do with that.

Is it possible for your seamstress to give the dress more room though? I''m sure there''s some magic she can work out. I personally don''t think dieting or exercising will fix my problem, since all my fat is in the stomach area and not above my waist. So I think whether dieting/exercising would help also depends on what area is too tight on you.

Don''t be discouraged; I felt the same woes, but I''m sure it will all work out well for you! :)

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Kittybean,

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. How did you leave it with the seamstress? My suggestion would be that you work with her to alter your gown so that it fits you correctly. It doesn''t sound like you''ve gained any weight, so my guess may be that the dress was taken in a little too much. Hopefully they have left enough fabric that it can be let out a little. I am not sure when your wedding is, but you also may want to cut out salt and junk food until then and try to drink as much water as possible (assuming the wedding is close). Please do not hesitate to ask the seamstress to make it right - the last thing you want to do is crash diet before the wedding and be worried about your dress fitting. If they made a mistake, it is their job to make it right. Even if they didn''t and you somehow gained a little, they should still work with you to make it fit right. It sounds like you have a good seamstress, so I am sure it will all work out and you will look lovely on your wedding day. Please keep us posted!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kittybean,

This would stress me out. But your skinny jeans fit, so I think she probably took in too much. That would be the obvious mistake. Either that, or the seamstress pulled it in ways that make it look lumpy (i.e pulled in too much at certain places and not enough at others). I wouldn''t lose weight, I would go back and have her work with you to make sure it fits right.

Good luck!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What material is your dress, Kittybean? If it's not raw silk or something similar, it shouldn't be too hard for the seamstress to take it out a bit. If that can't be done, spanx it up. My seamstress told me spanx can bring you down a whole size. I bought one today and it's really quite comfortable.

I had my fitting today too, but I ordered my dress a size smaller than I was. I fit in (YAY), but it was maybe 1 inch too snug at my hips. I've already lost 2 inches off my hips since I got it, and I'm hoping with the spanx and working out the next few months I can have it work. Mine cant be opened because it's raw silk
7.gif

Don't fret :)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your kind words and advice! I should have clarified this: my seamstress is letting the side seams out a little. They weren''t finished yet, so this won''t pose much of a problem. The area that is too tight is the waist/lower rib area; it feels like the dress is too small for my ribcage, actually. I know that the seamstress will make it right--I am confident that she is talented and a good listener, and it seems like she wants to make me happy. I was just bummed that the fitting didn''t go as well as I had hoped.

My wedding is June 20, so I have some time to lose weight if I want to. I might try the low sodium thing.

Kama, my dress is silk charmeuse (darn stuff shows everything). I wore some Spanx-type undergarments, but they had a seam down the front that showed through, and the dress actually looked better and less bulky without them! Maybe I need the real Spanx? I think part of the issue is that I''m a very small person, so the shaper-thing was probably not tight enough for me to see any benefit. It was just adding bulk, if that makes sense.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Aw Kittybean. I''m so sorry that things went poorly today. It does sound like the seamstress will get it sorted out though. I hope your next fitting goes better.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 9:54:50 PM
Author: kittybean
Thanks so much for your kind words and advice! I should have clarified this: my seamstress is letting the side seams out a little. They weren''t finished yet, so this won''t pose much of a problem. The area that is too tight is the waist/lower rib area; it feels like the dress is too small for my ribcage, actually. I know that the seamstress will make it right--I am confident that she is talented and a good listener, and it seems like she wants to make me happy. I was just bummed that the fitting didn''t go as well as I had hoped.

My wedding is June 20, so I have some time to lose weight if I want to. I might try the low sodium thing.

Kama, my dress is silk charmeuse (darn stuff shows everything). I wore some Spanx-type undergarments, but they had a seam down the front that showed through, and the dress actually looked better and less bulky without them! Maybe I need the real Spanx? I think part of the issue is that I''m a very small person, so the shaper-thing was probably not tight enough for me to see any benefit. It was just adding bulk, if that makes sense.
Ahh, yeah, makes perfect sense. I dont think even spanx would look good under silk charmeuse. But it sounds like your seamstress has everything in control for now. I''m sure your next fitting will be exponentially better. *hug*

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Sorry sweets. It's stressful when clothes don't fit, let alone your wedding dress!

Glad to know the problem is being fixed.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yuck! Being too tight on your ribcage would NOT be comfy. I think she probably took it in too much. When is your next fitting?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s such a pain. If you skinniest jeans fit, then it does sound like she might have just taking it in a tiny bit more than was needed. I''m sure that she will get it looking perfect for the day.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 8:06:29 PM
Author: kama_s
What material is your dress, Kittybean? If it''s not raw silk or something similar, it shouldn''t be too hard for the seamstress to take it out a bit. If that can''t be done, spanx it up. My seamstress told me spanx can bring you down a whole size. I bought one today and it''s really quite comfortable.

I had my fitting today too, but I ordered my dress a size smaller than I was. I fit in (YAY), but it was maybe 1 inch too snug at my hips. I''ve already lost 2 inches off my hips since I got it, and I''m hoping with the spanx and working out the next few months I can have it work. Mine cant be opened because it''s raw silk
7.gif

Don''t fret :)

Why can''t raw silk be altered?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 8:36:09 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Why can''t raw silk be altered?
Usually people avoid taking out raw silk because it leaves marks that can be easily identified. Taking in, I''ve heard, is not a problem at all.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think the texture would help hide the marks...is it silk shantung or taffeta or smooth?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2009 9:54:50 PM
Author: kittybean

Try this shaper! It gives a smooth line from just under the bust to just above the knee, and it''s not as expensive as the Spanx ($32 at VS).

V282482.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
kitty bean... stress can actually cause bloat. IF you are feeling at all stressed you can hold weight in weird places.. plus where was the dress tight... around your bust and mid section.. or around your hips and waist? Sometimes you can fit into your skinny jeans, and have shifted your weight in other places.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
THAT STINKS! What a bummer.
20.gif
But if you ask me, why should YOU have to lose weight because of a mistake the seamstress made? I remember seeing you in your first fitting and your body is a perfect size/weight if you ask me. I wouldn''t bother losing any more weight. That would just add more stress to the situation...

(I''d like to know how this goes and if she fixes the problem for you. Hopefully she will and it will all be good. Maybe I''d even like to know where you got this gown from too if you are willing to share with me! If not, no worries.)

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I don''t feel like spanx make me that much smaller, if at all. Maybe I''m buying them too big?

Anyhow, if the dress is too small on your ribcage, it seems like shaping undergarments or even losing weight won''t help that much! But I''m sorry you''re not feeling comfortable in the dress, and I hope the seamstress can fix it!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Kittybean First off-- **hugs** and sorry this is happening. Seeing as though your jeans still fit, I have a sneaking suspicion this is a result of your seamstress & her work. Its good that you still have faith in her abilities (esp. since I have an appointment with her to alter my wedding gown!!
6.gif
) Is there a possibility that the day of your fitting (the first one) you were actually a little under-weight? Perhaps you had just worked out, or had not taken in a lot of sodium, or were at the perfect point in your menstrual cycle with the least amount of bloat? Even a pound or so of water weight can make a difference... I know I have normal, bloated, skinny, and reaaaalllly skinny days... the last of which is a result of workout, reduced food and sodium intake, etc... the days where you just feel esp. thin and the scale/clothes show it, but it''s just a short-term, water weight thing? Maybe I''m just crazy
40.gif

Anyways... DO wear some quality shapewear for your next appointment. And be cautious: Even some Spanx are not suggested for form-fitting fabrics. And get an extra-small or whatever size will truly "hold you in."

You''re a thin woman as it is, and I''m not sure it would be healthy for you to lose weight (though I''m clearly not a doctor... just my 2cents). I don''t think it is worth the stress, either. If you exercise normally and eat well, keep doing those things. Don''t make it your goal to lose weight, just make it your goal to be as healthy as possible. And if you occasionally do eat fast food, pizza, or other unhealthy stuff, try to cut those instances in half... especially because those foods tend to be high in sodium. Increasing your fruit/veggie intake and drinking water (definitely not soda/beer which will cause bloat, especially sugar-free sodas) should be enough to get excess water out of your system.

If you do feel inclined to exercise more, I would really stick to cardio and lean-muscle-building activities like yoga or pilates- but steer clear of actual weight training. Increasing muscle will help burn fat, but I imagine you don''t have an excess of fat on your lean bod... and you definitely don''t want to bulk up muscles more than necessary at this point. Be wary of over-doing abdominal exercises, as well. Lots of "ab moves" can add bulk instead of creating a lean torso...

Okay. This reply was too long. Drink water. Stretch a lot. Watch extra sodium. Buy a shaper. DON''T WORRY! Your dress will fit fine, I don''t think the tightness is your fault, at all... But the situation will be remedied and you''ll look more gorgeous than ever on your big day!
1.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But here''s the thing. I dont think shaping underwear or weight loss will help you shrink your ribcage - especially since you dont seem to have anything extra around it.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Aww kittybean, how dissapointing that fitting must have been. It sounds like your seamstress is willing and able to sort this out. The dress should be made to fit YOU, not you trying to mold yourself into the dress.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 12:23:25 PM
Author: mayachel

The dress should be made to fit YOU, not you trying to mold yourself into the dress.

Ditto! But, I also think that it is your seamstress''s fault. It would be really difficult for you to have gained inches in your ribcage, but not in other areas. If your other clothes are fitting in, I bet she made a mistake in measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results