shape
carat
color
clarity

dress dilemma (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the '40s-style elegance of the first dress!
30.gif
Good luck deciding
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first one the best! And if it''s only $400 more, and you like it the best, I say go for it! The second one is gorgeous, too, and it is a little bit more unique than most strapless gowns I''ve seen, but the first one is soooooo beautiful and unique.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I have to say to my eye, those are two very different style dresses. I like #1, I love the green sash style.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, FacetFire for posting that! For some reason the lady at the dress shop didn''t know that it came with a sash, so I never tried it on with one. Then when I got home and looked up the picture, I realized I should have.

The first dress is a mermaid shape, though it''s a little different because it doesn''t have a crinoline, and it has a (invisible) seam in the lace around the knee area where it flares out, instead of the vertical seams like the second. It is fitted at the hips, but the mermaid-ness is maybe a little more subtle, if that makes any sense?

I didn''t feel like the straps made me look any older...I guess I kind of liked that it was a little different than what most people wear. I have pretty narrow shoulders, so I never thought strapless was as flattering on me than it is on people who are more toned and athletic, but it''s not unflattering either.

Kind of off topic, but did you pick a dress yet? It was fun seeing all the pictures you posted!

Starryeyed - I did go to a Monique L''huillier trunk show, and her dresses are beautiful. But they are about $2-3k MORE expensive than the Jim Hjelm. I tried on many of her dresses and never found one that I could say I liked better than the JH, and side-to-side, I thought the quality of the materials was comparable.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at this one? It is beautiful and unique and kind of a subtle mermaid (but strapless like your FI likes): Jim Hjelm #8709

PSJimHjelmSpring07.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Or, Lazaro #3702:

PSLazaroSpring07.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Or, and sorry if I am overloading you with ideas, but I love this one and would so go for it except I like strapless: Lazaro #3616

PSLZ6163.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely understand your desire to be different and not go strapless. For some reason, I don''t seem to look as good in straps, so I am trying to go strapless, but I actually love gowns with straps because they are different and your pictures will have more to show in the close-up shots. If you love the first one, I say go for it. I have no doubt that your FI will think you look gorgeous in it. And no, I haven''t picked a dress yet...sad, huh? I am going to be picking one in the next couple weeks because I am down to the wire on this one...I may even have to pay a rush fee at this point. :)

basil

Brilliant_Rock
FacetFire - you look great in strapless, so it makes sense you would go with that! Sometimes I feel like strapless dresses flatten my bust, and I tend to need enhancement there, not flattening! Anyway, I have looked at that new JH (the 8709) and it is gorgeous, but the stores around here don''t seem to have a sample yet!? For whatever, reason, I love most anything in that line, so I''ll probably be happy with whatever I end up with.

Anyway, can''t wait to see what dress you end up with!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Basil...I'm not sure if you got your dress yet, but I was just browsing ebay and came across the Jim Hjelm 8661...which isn't either of your choices, but I thought it resembled the 8663 enough that you might be interested?

Here's the link just in case: (The auction ends in two days)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jim-Hjelm-Bridal-Gown-style-8661-Brand-New-1-2-PRICE_W0QQitemZ140115265068QQihZ004QQcategoryZ63851QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ETA: I guess it's not an exact replica of the first one, but I still think it is gorgeous.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Luckystar -

Great find! Unfortunately, not my size though...
8.gif

godschild012188

Rough_Rock
I have a question about dress 8662...you said that you found it $700 cheaper at another store and I was just wondering what the price was and if you remembered the store name?

I think that 8662 is gorgeous, however if the first one is your dream dress then you should really consider it...it is your wedding day and nothing you should stop you from looking and feeling beautiful :)

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
I definitely like the first one better. I''d go for no. 1 despite the $700 difference if I can get a good deal online

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
i loved and tried on the first dress, although in the end i ruled it out. if you are going for elegant or sophisticated, i think this and the lhuillier dresses totally project that. what did me in on #1 was the fact that i am tall, thin and pretty small chested - aka. 34B. i think that dress needs curves on top to really look good. based on your comment about #2 making you look bustier, i thought maybe you were similarly endowed. if that is the case, i would be inclined to go with #2. but - that said - i think all of the JH dresses are really beautiful, so you can''t go wrong with one of those.

it sucks they won''t let you take pics - i think it makes deciding so much easier. you could always call and tell them that you cannot decide and if you aren''t able/allowed to come back and take pics to help you decide, then you will take your biz elsewhere. call their bluff!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Go for #1---yes its more expensive, but in the grand scheme of planning its THE ONE. scrimp and save in other areas. i love that dress.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
If the first dress is not out of your budget then I''d go for that one! It is so beautiful! I love the lace and the plunging neckline. It actually looks like it would be comfortable! Keep us posted!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, this is an old thread!

For the person who bumped it up, the lowest prices I found were at Pearl''s Place, a B&M store based out of Louisiana that sells mail order as well. Call them for a quote.

And if anyone is still interested, I think I''ve decided to go with dress #1, JH 8663...but I haven''t gotten myself together enough and happy enough with my size to go ahead and order it yet.

prettybrd

Rough_Rock
Didn''t follow this all of the way down, but if you''ve not already found your dress and would be interested in a gently used (worn five hours on my wedding day two weeks ago) Jim Hjelm cream alecon lace 8663, I am currently selling it. I can send it to you overnight. Cups are sewn in and a button and loop were added for bustling. I have tons of photos from the wedding and can provide you a link if you are interested.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely LOVE #1, and if looks terrific on you, I say GO FOR IT!!! It is simply stunning!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I agree that $700.00 is a significant amount of money, I would spend it if A: I LOVED the dress and really loved it more than any other, and B: the money was the ONLY negative aspect of the dress. I think both are lovely, but I really like number one more. I know you said your fiance liked all the strapless dresses, but if you look awesome in the first dress, he will love it all the more..It really boils down to what you love, and what you sort of envision as your dream dress. If this is it, do it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results