shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress blues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:11:34 PM
Author: doodle
As for the shiny things comments from musey and freke, I'm ADD, so I'm totally with you, haha! but i'm also easily distracted by red hair--that doesn't mean i expected my red-haired bridesmaid to dye hers just because my other girls were brunettes!
For the record, I never said that he shouldn't wear it because there are shiny things on it. I was just explaining the logic behind why people would say it could/would be distracting/attention-grabbing.

Also, dying hair is a much bigger deal than wearing a different outfit
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 12:50:51 PM
Author: dreaming of the day
I had to chime in on this one... I don''t think it''s right. I understand that they have worked extremely hard and have given an amazing commitment to their country, but if they are going to stick out like a sore thumb it just isn''t right. It would be different if other people in the wedding party were to wear their dress blues, but if it is only him than the focus won''t be on the bride and groom and it is their day to shine. It is not right for the brother to command attention away from the bride and groom. Just for background I am Canadian and from a non-military family, so I can''t quite relate!

This is what I was thinking too. Could just be where I''m from though.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My brother is in the Canadian Royal Navy and was an usher at my wedding. DH and I had a summer wedding, and technically, if my brother was to wear his uniform, he should have worn his dress whites. However, DH wanted to wear a white tux. It was the first thing he said to me after I accepted his proposal, and there was no way I was going to ask him to wear anything else! I''m glad he did too, he was sooo dashing...
31.gif
So with DH wearing white, having my brother wear his dress whites seemed inappropriate (my brother agreed), so I gave him a choice to either wear his black uniform or rent a navy tux like the GMs. He wore his black uniform, taking off his jacket for the reception. My brother understood that this was DH''s day to shine, not his, so he didn''t say a word.

Bottom line, if the couple don''t mind him wearing his dress blues, fine. Otherwise, it''s not his wedding, so he should wear whatever the couple wants him to.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 8:42:02 PM
Author: Izzy03
I was a military brat, and I would absolutely NOT want one person in my wedding party to wear their dress blues. If the groom is in the service and would wearing his uniform, that would be a different story, but no way if the groom would be a suit or tux.

I understand that the person is doing a noble thing by serving their country (my father served in Desert Storm), but the day is not about that person and their career in the service. Quite frankly, if the bridal party does not specifically ask the person to wear their uniform, then the person just appears to be looking for attention.

Choro72: You JUST reminded me! My parents best friend''s son has mentioned that he wanted to wear his dress blues to my wedding, should I ask him not too? By the way, he is one of those people who NEEDS attention all day, every day. You would be appalled at the things he says for attention!
Izzy, given what you wrote, I would say politely decline his request to wear his uniform. Although, if he is as bad as you say he is, he will find another way to grab attention
38.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 2:56:07 PM
Author: choro72

Date: 2/26/2009 8:42:02 PM
Author: Izzy03
I was a military brat, and I would absolutely NOT want one person in my wedding party to wear their dress blues. If the groom is in the service and would wearing his uniform, that would be a different story, but no way if the groom would be a suit or tux.

I understand that the person is doing a noble thing by serving their country (my father served in Desert Storm), but the day is not about that person and their career in the service. Quite frankly, if the bridal party does not specifically ask the person to wear their uniform, then the person just appears to be looking for attention.

Choro72: You JUST reminded me! My parents best friend''s son has mentioned that he wanted to wear his dress blues to my wedding, should I ask him not too? By the way, he is one of those people who NEEDS attention all day, every day. You would be appalled at the things he says for attention!
Izzy, given what you wrote, I would say politely decline his request to wear his uniform. Although, if he is as bad as you say he is, he will find another way to grab attention
38.gif
I certainly wouldn''t mind if a guest at the wedding wore a uniform, but the wedding party should wear the suits and dresses chosen by the bride and groom.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
If I had a brother in the military, I would be proud to allow him to be in uniform...however, it is childish for him to say that he won''t be in the wedding if he can''t wear it. It''s not the brother''s day-- it''s the bride & groom''s day.

My fiance is in Army...he is a groomsman in an upcoming wedding, and it never occurred to him to ask (or demand!) to come in uniform. He is simply renting the tux that the groom asked him too. Simple as that. For our wedding, on the other hand, I would love for him to wear it. He''s earned that uniform... and it''s quite sexy
2.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:52:23 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/26/2009 11:11:34 PM

Author: doodle

As for the shiny things comments from musey and freke, I''m ADD, so I''m totally with you, haha! but i''m also easily distracted by red hair--that doesn''t mean i expected my red-haired bridesmaid to dye hers just because my other girls were brunettes!

For the record, I never said that he shouldn''t wear it because there are shiny things on it. I was just explaining the logic behind why people would say it could/would be distracting/attention-grabbing.

Also, dying hair is a much bigger deal than wearing a different outfit
3.gif

Musey, I totally got what you meant and was just teasing you--please excuse my having forgotten how poorly sarcasm translates on the internet!
9.gif
I highly disagree with you on the second part, however--it only takes about twenty minutes for me to dye my hair, but for a dressy event, it can take me HOURS AND HOURS to figure out what to wear! hehehe!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results