shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreaming of my cushion halo…. (the process)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
kmw - GORGEOUS ring!!! WOW!!!
30.gif

MMM - I''m following your progress - can''t wait to see the CAD drawings!!!

kmw

Rough_Rock
Thanks MMM and Rock Candy! I couldn''t be happier!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 9:58:53 PM
Author: MMM
yay! thanks for posting pictures! it looks great! i''m glad you are so happy with it too!!

i am TRYing to patiently wait for the cad drawings from mark!! he was supposed to send them last friday. if i dont get them tomorrow i may have to give him a little friendly reminder call
26.gif

not that he''s forgotten - i just wanna keep the ball rolling!
I know it is really tough waiting but it will be so-o-o-o worth it!

I must confess...I have gotten so flustered over picking out a setting that I have had to just step back from it and give it a rest. I never thought I would be able to tear myself away from putting this ring together but I feel exhausted. My problem is I am afraid that once it is done I will see something I like better. Isn''t that awful? Was it this difficult for you to decide on the basic design? I know you will be tweaking here and there but did you already have an idea of what you loved and stuck with it? I am overwhelmed and ready to put the diamond in a drawer and just get a nice band, get on with our lives, and work on the setting at a later date. I am hoping that watching your progress will give me the kick in the patooty that I need. I''m sorry to rain on your parade....hormones, I''m sure....guess I''ll curl up with some chocolate and feel sorry for myself tonight.
emcry.gif

Please post anything you get so I can see how it''s going. I really am super excited for you...promise!....no more boo-boo posts from me!
9.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
kmw...love your ring. It turned out fantastic and looks really big, too. I know you are thrilled! My cushion is a 1.31 ct and I hope mine looks that big when I decide on the setting. As of right now, I still do plan to have a halo. Congrats!
36.gif

kmw

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dianne! It does look more like a 2 carat ring with the halo, so the halo will look great with your stone. Don''t stress. Go with your gut. I''m sure it will come to you.

The thing I love about cushions is that so few people out there (outside of the Pricescope world) really know what a cushion is, so that in itself shows that you have something unique, timeless and beautiful. Whatever you end up with will no doubt look great. Don''t forget to enjoy the most important thing about the whole process - the guy that comes with the ring!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 6:21:35 PM
Author: kmw
Thanks Dianne! It does look more like a 2 carat ring with the halo, so the halo will look great with your stone. Don''t stress. Go with your gut. I''m sure it will come to you.

The thing I love about cushions is that so few people out there (outside of the Pricescope world) really know what a cushion is, so that in itself shows that you have something unique, timeless and beautiful. Whatever you end up with will no doubt look great. Don''t forget to enjoy the most important thing about the whole process - the guy that comes with the ring!
You know what, kmw?...you just gave me the kick in the patooty I needed....you are so right!! I have a great guy who has been so supportive of me throughout this entire process. Even tonight, he took some wire and twisted it into two different ring settings so I could actually put them on my finger, even had me put the diamond into the wire halos he made...all to help me make a decision. I need to straighten up and start enjoying this process...it''s not like once it''s done I''ll be doing it again anytime soon so I just need to buckle down and make a decision. Thank You! I feel much better!!

OK...back to ring talk...about what you were saying about cushions being unique. They are very unique in my town, just outside Charotte, NC. Rounds seem to rule here with princess coming in second. I was really worried about it being mistaken for an oval, and I think ovals are gorgeous, but I wanted it to be recognized for being a cushion. I have been pleasantly surprised as I have shown people the stone that they have asked me what kind of cut it is. I hope the halo in my final setting is able to closely mimic the shape so I still get asked that question. I can''t wait until the first person asks me if it''s a cushion.

kmw

Rough_Rock
Glad I could help! So funny about the cushions - I have yet to meet one person in Chicago that knows my stone is a cushion. Kind of fun!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
It’s funny that you mention worrying your ring will be mistaken with an oval. I, on the other hand, worry mine is mistaken with a princess (since it is almost a perfect square cushion).

This is actually one of the reasons I am even more excited about the halo setting because I think it really exaggerates the shape of the diamond. I think when my cushion was in its temporary 4-prong setting it was soooo soo so easy to think it was a princess because the rounded corners were hard to even pickup on with pointy prongs right on them. I don’t have anything against princess cuts, its just not what I wanted and I LOVE my cushion and want everyone to know that’s what it is. I think this is best accomplished with a halo.

As for how I’m not too stressed about not liking my setting….
I started looking at settings a loooong time ago. I mean, I''m young, so I guess not THAT long ago, but over a year ago. I found some halo settings and it was love at first sight. Over a year later and I still haven’t found anything I like even half as much.

Now, it took me a while to find someone that made something similar to that dream in my head. I first found the Harry Winston setting and it was like a light bulb! That was exactly (almost) what I was looking for, but I wanted a few changes like the bands coming up toward the halo, and an eventual flush fit with my wedding band. So, the fact that I''ve found Mark that already has made rings just like the HW and he can accommodate my changes is just Perfect! I think that’s why I’m so comfortable with it.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
NOW.... what we''ve alllll been waiting for (most notably ME
19.gif
)
THE CAD DRAWINGS!

yay... here they are:

#1 - the side view

MM side view.JPG

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
#2 - the perspective view

MM perspective view.JPG

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
And finally… and my favorite….
#3 – the top view

MM top view.JPG

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
I have to go!
But, I wanted to get the pictures up so I could hear some comments. There are still a few things I want to tweak with the drawings, but I wanted to see what others had to say first. I''ll be back tonight!! : )

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 1:26:45 PM
It’s funny that you mention worrying your ring will be mistaken with an oval. I, on the other hand, worry mine is mistaken with a princess (since it is almost a perfect square cushion).

This is actually one of the reasons I am even more excited about the halo setting because I think it really exaggerates the shape of the diamond. I think when my cushion was in its temporary 4-prong setting it was soooo soo so easy to think it was a princess because the rounded corners were hard to even pickup on with pointy prongs right on them. I don’t have anything against princess cuts, its just not what I wanted and I LOVE my cushion and want everyone to know that’s what it is. I think this is best accomplished with a halo.

As for how I’m not too stressed about not liking my setting….
I started looking at settings a loooong time ago. I mean, I''m young, so I guess not THAT long ago, but over a year ago. I found some halo settings and it was love at first sight. Over a year later and I still haven’t found anything I like even half as much.

Now, it took me a while to find someone that made something similar to that dream in my head. I first found the Harry Winston setting and it was like a light bulb! That was exactly (almost) what I was looking for, but I wanted a few changes like the bands coming up toward the halo, and an eventual flush fit with my wedding band. So, the fact that I''ve found Mark that already has made rings just like the HW and he can accommodate my changes is just Perfect! I think that’s why I’m so comfortable with it.
I haven''t had a setting speak to me so loud that I couldn''t hear another whisper to me from another room...lol. I have gotten everything together to send to Mark about 5 times. I''ll say, "OK, that''s it! I love it! I am getting that one!" The next day I''ll look at it and say, "Yep, I still like it." Then I''ll go online, just to have a harmless peek, and I''ll see something that sends me in a different direction. The only constant for me has been the halo. My BF told me to just stop looking...poor thing, we have had the stone for 2 months and he has threatened to attach it to my finger with superglue. I hope to have a final decision for Mark this week.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad you shared the CAD drawings! Things are getting closer for you!
36.gif

Now...can you envision the end result by looking at these drawings? Are all the dimensions in line with the diminsions of your actual stone. For instance, from the side view, there is the small culet tip seen below the halo and I was wondering if this was to scale with how much of the culet tip will actually show beneath the halo. Is everything to scale with your center stone, even the smaller diamonds in the band? I have tried to look at other PS postings where the CAD, wax, and finished product were shown, even if on separate postings. Sometimes I think the CAD and the finished product look so different. I see posts where people say the finished product was so much better than they hoped for so maybe the CAD looked differently to them, too. So far, are the CAD drawings looking "right" to you?

Sorry for the pop quiz...since I have given myself a deadline to make a decision I feel very nervous.
32.gif
Thanks, again, for allowing us to follow you on your journey. I can''t wait to see the end result. I am very excited for you! I will stay tuned....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the cads look awesome MMM, your ring is going to be spectacular!!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one more... same view as the other, but in platinum color

Untitled(3).jpg

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
Diane... if you are still going back and forth I think you should take your time! Would you consider getting a temporary setting? I don’t know how you would feel about it, but that’s what my stone was in until I just sent it to mark. It was just a $200 white gold setting, but everyone actually seemed to like it. it''s a but annoying to always have to explain to people that the ring will be changing, but at least you’d be able to wear you stone and maybe not feel AS pressured to make a decision before you are completely ready.

As far as envisioning the final product, I think I can. Most cad drawings I’ve seen on PS have looked really, really clunky compared to the final ring, and I think that’s somewhat the same for these drawings, but I really don’t think they look too, too awkward.

The final halo should be the same as Winnies, so I’m thinking that the proportions are not exactly right in the drawings. I’m thinking the halo looks thicker and chunkier than it will be. Look at Winnie’s pictures (they are posted on the first page of this thread). I’ve told mark to use the same halo she had and we have the exact same stone size (both are 1.71). I think it looks more delicate than it does in the cad drawings.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
But, like I said before, there are a couple changes I want done for the final ring.

I want the diamond to sit as low profile as possible and I think it still looks a little high in the cad drawings. I obviously don’t want to endanger my stone and don’t want it so low that I could risk damaging the cutlet, but it seems there’s still enough room to lower the halo a bit.

Secondly, I want the band to be done in fishtail pave. I had already told Mark this, so I’m not sure if he forgot, or if it is just not represented in the cad drawings, but will be done when the ring is created. I emailed him about it today and my fiance is going to call him this afternoon to make sure that we are all on the same page.

26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:05:40 AM
Diane... if you are still going back and forth I think you should take your time! Would you consider getting a temporary setting? I don’t know how you would feel about it, but that’s what my stone was in until I just sent it to mark. It was just a $200 white gold setting, but everyone actually seemed to like it. it''s a but annoying to always have to explain to people that the ring will be changing, but at least you’d be able to wear you stone and maybe not feel AS pressured to make a decision before you are completely ready.

As far as envisioning the final product, I think I can. Most cad drawings I’ve seen on PS have looked really, really clunky compared to the final ring, and I think that’s somewhat the same for these drawings, but I really don’t think they look too, too awkward.

The final halo should be the same as Winnies, so I’m thinking that the proportions are not exactly right in the drawings. I’m thinking the halo looks thicker and chunkier than it will be. Look at Winnie’s pictures (they are posted on the first page of this thread). I’ve told mark to use the same halo she had and we have the exact same stone size (both are 1.71). I think it looks more delicate than it does in the cad drawings.
I have considered a temp setting but my bf really wants it to be the entire ring when we get married. It''s ok...I''m sure I''ll get it figured out. I want the entire ring, too, but I want many entire rings...lol.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:10:29 AM
But, like I said before, there are a couple changes I want done for the final ring.

I want the diamond to sit as low profile as possible and I think it still looks a little high in the cad drawings. I obviously don’t want to endanger my stone and don’t want it so low that I could risk damaging the cutlet, but it seems there’s still enough room to lower the halo a bit.

Secondly, I want the band to be done in fishtail pave. I had already told Mark this, so I’m not sure if he forgot, or if it is just not represented in the cad drawings, but will be done when the ring is created. I emailed him about it today and my fiance is going to call him this afternoon to make sure that we are all on the same page.

26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
26.gif
I think you have room to lower the halo if you want. That last picture make a big difference, doesn''t it, just by being a metal color. I think this is going to look fantastic!

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
MMM:

I just came across this forum...did you ever decide on the final setting for your cushion? If so, has your ring been completely finished? I''m sure we would all love to see pics of it if it''s all done...

Thanks!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I emailed mark with the few changes I wanted and he said no problem! I also sent this picture to illustrate the lowering of the halo... I''m not sure if you can even tell the difference without putting the two cad drawings side-by-side, but it looks sooo much better to me!

(MsPicky: I replied to your message in my location tread in Brides World Wide
28.gif
)

ring modified.jpg

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I can tell a difference. Looks like half the space that was there before. I like it!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
yay!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
Update::::
I should have the ring finished and in our posession by APRIL 6TH!
Figners Crossed!!!!!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believe it is almost here! I would be over the moon...and I am sure you are! I can''t wait to see it!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
oh i am!
i think about it about every 10 minutes! its a sickness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i can not wait to see your final product its gonna be gorgous

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
-----------it''s coming!------------
Mark is shipping the ring out TOMORROW!
(actually, today! since it''s past midnight!!)
I should have it by Friday!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
how very excited MMM, can''t wait for those pics and to see what you think!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results