shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream upgrade down to these 2 - help me choose (OEC)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Two stones from two vendors. Both have let me put on hold while I make my decision.

Pricing is similar on both, and both vendors will give me almost comparable values for my current stone (for trade-in towards purchase price). Both vendors also have good upgrade policies.

So we're really just talking about which stone is the better choice for me.

Opinions welcome!

Option 1 - 3.71ct K/VS2 EGL USA (dealer and I agree would probably be a GIA M/SI1)
Color: Quite warm.
Clarity: Inclusion under table and a few others elsewhere. Decently eyeclean.
Shape: Round
Appearance: Pretty, lively (to me)
Depth: ~63%
Spread: ~9.9 mm
Price: Similar to option #2, slightly cheaper

Option 2 - 3.92ct I/SI2 GIA
Color: White! (to me)
Clarity: Largish inclusion under table. Sharkbite to be polished out of girdle. Decently eyeclean.
Shape: Squarish round. Feels a little old-miney.
Appearance: Pretty, lively (to me)
Depth: ~68%
Spread: ~9.4mm - ~9.8
Price: Similar to option #1

So - how to decide? I think for sure #2 is the better deal, as it's the same price, but heavier, whiter and also GIA-certed. But #1 is nice because the stone is round, which I like, and it has a larger spread (diameter) so *looks* larger. Also, #1 would look better in my dream setting - if I go with #2 I think I *wouldn't* want to put it in my dream setting (bezel), since it's not quite round. I feel it would call for a prong setting.

One thing that throws me off a little about #1 is that if the stone was GIA-certed, it's Rap pricing would be significantly less than its current asking price. Is that normal? Like, should I just suck it up and accept that's just the way it works with antique stones (many are EGL certed, maybe this is for a reason)?

Thanks in advance!

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a *huge* size difference - that 3.9 is facing up super small thanks to the depth!

I'd pick #1 on size alone, and higher clarity. I think a little bit of colour adds to the charm of an older cut though, so the M poses no issue for me.

As I understand it many older stones have the EGL report b/c the cut grade on GIA/AGS would maul them - they were cut primarily for weight retention and for the common lighting types of the time, and so don't exhibit the precision and proportioning that would be needed to 'score' well by GIA/AGS' modern metrics... don't know what that means re. pricing differential though.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Yssie for your quick reply! I'm trying to make a decision very soon, as both dealers have been very kind to me, and I want to release whichever stone I don't take...

Any other thoughts welcome!

Anne

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get us a couple of pics? With old cuts so much depends on the look of them.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy,

I was intentionally not providing pics because I wanted opinions based only on the hard stats I've posted. I mean - I've already decided how I feel about each stone's appearance.

But I'll put photos up anyways. Both are shown on hands (not mine) and I'm not sure of lighting conditions. I have better and worse shots of each stone, but I felt these were somewhat "comparable". lol

Anne

#1 - 3.71 K/VS2 EGL USA

anne_371.jpg

#2 3.92 I/SI2 GIA

anne_392.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just by going on what you posted- I would pick stone #2- the clarity seems better, and the size is better. I think the warmth in older cuts is quite fitting :bigsmile:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Amy - do you really mean #2? You mention warmth in old cuts, and #1 is warmer...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - they are totally different looks. Both very pretty :sun: I see why #2 could be that much deeper now, though.

Still prefer the size of #1 ::)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyone else? I'm still having a lot of trouble with this decision.

Anne

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow--tough choice. Would you need to do a custom setting b/c the second stone is not quite round and deep? Would this cost weight into your decision?

From the two single pictures, both have a very nice look. If pressed, I might choose #1 b/c of the clarity. Also I'd choose an "antiquey" setting for the same, in keeping with the color/cut of the stone....

cheers--Sharon

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
By no means am I an expert. But I do love older stones and based on the pictures I LOVE #2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results