shape
carat
color
clarity

Downgrade Cut for Color/Clarity?

heb80

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at Round Brilliant 0.70 ct diamonds. Here is the criteria I've been looking at.
Cut = Ideal
Color = I
Clarity = SI1
My question is at what point should I consider downgrading Cut in favor of a better Color or Clarity. For example,does it make sense to downgrade cut quality from Ideal to Excellent to upgrade color to something closer to colorless, or clarity to VS?

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
that's an easy question for me... NEVER! cut is king in my book! what's your preference?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Don't settle.

But, being realistic, if you can find an eye clean SI2, that would be good.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are we talking about AGS or GIA diamond here? A reputable lab report is a must. If you are using a reputable lab report you can sometimes find a good one that was downgraded for inconsequential reasons like polish or symmetry. If you post the choices we can help you decide if a GIA VG or AGS Ex is worth further consideration. These options are also more appealing if you can obtain an idealscope image, which will tell you if the cut is all right despite the cut grade.

But you should consider dropping in size juuust below the .70ct mark instead. There is a large price per carat jump at 0.70, and if you go for a .69ct rock, for example, it will look the same size and cost a lot less.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results