shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to two dresses... please help me choose!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
#2 looks like it was made for you. It really highlights your figure.

Te first is pretty, but not WOW...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 hands down (like IWAPO said)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redfaerythinkier, redrose, claireabelle, meresal, Deelight, Cleopatra, Freke, iwannaprettyone, aprilcait, pocahontas, HeadOverHeels4James, Rachie, robbie, loverocks, Loves Vintage, aliciagirl, LegalGal, ally, Sarah, lucy.lucy.80, Bia, vespergirl, sunnyd, squee, jcarlylew, emilina, blondebunny, Lanie, fatafelice, lala, claudinam: Thank you for the input!!

Wow, I didn't realize the vote would be so overwhelming for #2! #2 is my favorite as well. It is Alencon lace over silk organza, and it's a Marisa gown. As some were saying, it is very romantic and a little sexier than #1. I do love the clean, elegantly simple lines of #1, but I adored how romantic #2 was. The wedding is outdoors, and they both seem to fit the venue well, but #2 may fit just a bit better.

I don't have any photos of the back, but I actually think I like the back of #1 a little more because the satin underneath the organza on #1 goes all the way to the end of the train, whereas on #2, the organza goes past the satin.

Here are my concerns: I feel like I'd have to really tone my lower tummy and hips with this one from now until the wedding because I have a major fear of having my hips look too large or having my stomach stick out. This dress shows every curve, good or bad! The photo I posted is the most flattering one I have of this gown--I felt like some of the others I took made me look a little "hip"-py. I don't know if spanx would work? So as far as comfort goes, #1 is better than #2 because I can gain some weight in the hips or lower tummy (which is the first place where I pick up weight!) and no one would notice with the A-line skirt. I feel a little more self-conscious with #2. Do you all think this is a big enough concern not to go with #2?

Next, does it seem like the lace in #2 doesn't photograph as well as the ribbon detail in #1? I want the gorgeous lace to show up in the photos as nicely as I see it in person.

Finally, does #2 look better with the neckline as-is or should I change it to a straight neckline? I'm on the fence about which neckline looks better.

Thanks again, ladies!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Numero dos. Absolutely. Beautiful.
30.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Kim - the neckline on number two is my favorite part! It flatters you so perfectly!! KEEP AS IS!! hehe :)

And if you are concerned about a few curves coming out underneath the dress, i would think Spanx would work fine. Women swear by Spanx!

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
#2 definitely looks better with the neckline as is. I don''t like the straight neckline on you. Don''t change it. Get #2, be careful about what you eat, exercise regularly, and yes, Spanx will absolutely help (but think about wrestling with them and your dress while in the bathroom before you purchase; a slip type of Spanx might be best.)

Your figure looks stunning in #2.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Number 2!!!!

Sorry, I''m late to the game ;-)

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I had the same thoughts about the neckline in #2. I like straight necklines, personally. Is that something a tailor could change? I hear you about the tummy/hip bulge. It's like the photographs really do add pounds. How far off is your wedding? You don't need to tone up by any means...you look great. BUT if you would feel more comfortable, I'm sure you could lose just a little, throw on some Spanx, and you'd be okay, but not having to feel like you are sucking in your whole wedding. What have people said in person about it?

I was looking back at your other dress rundown, and I think #2 is a stretch from what you were originally looking for, which is maybe why you are hesitating. I promise...you look great! Lace is a little harder to photograph, but I wouldn't worry about it.

ETA: Don't take my statement"the photographs really do add pounds" to mean about you! I mean in general!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on how you see yourself style-wise.

#1 is more Audrey Hepburn, sophisticated

#2 is more Carmen Electra, sexy

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I definitely like #2, would NOT change the neckline, and think that the lace looks lovely! From the one photo you posted, you look great, so I would just get spanx and not worry about the weight issue!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 11:56:37 AM
Author: Kim N
Wow, I didn't realize the vote would be so overwhelming for #2! #2 is my favorite as well. It is Alencon lace over silk organza, and it's a Marisa gown. As some were saying, it is very romantic and a little sexier than #1. I do love the clean, elegantly simple lines of #1, but I adored how romantic #2 was. The wedding is outdoors, and they both seem to fit the venue well, but #2 may fit just a bit better.

I don't have any photos of the back, but I actually think I like the back of #1 a little more because the satin underneath the organza on #1 goes all the way to the end of the train, whereas on #2, the organza goes past the satin.

Here are my concerns: I feel like I'd have to really tone my lower tummy and hips with this one from now until the wedding because I have a major fear of having my hips look too large or having my stomach stick out. This dress shows every curve, good or bad! The photo I posted is the most flattering one I have of this gown--I felt like some of the others I took made me look a little 'hip'-py. I don't know if spanx would work? So as far as comfort goes, #1 is better than #2 because I can gain some weight in the hips or lower tummy (which is the first place where I pick up weight!) and no one would notice with the A-line skirt. I feel a little more self-conscious with #2. Do you all think this is a big enough concern not to go with #2?

Next, does it seem like the lace in #2 doesn't photograph as well as the ribbon detail in #1? I want the gorgeous lace to show up in the photos as nicely as I see it in person.

Finally, does #2 look better with the neckline as-is or should I change it to a straight neckline? I'm on the fence about which neckline looks better.

Thanks again, ladies!
I like both on you but I think #2 is a bit prettier. More bridey, if you will. I dont think it's too sexy and all you had to do was say "all over Alencon lace" and I'd have been sold as I love Alencon! It's a gorgeous gorgeous dress and it does not make you look hippy at all. I think it looks amazing on you as you are right now. Just stick to a sensible diet/exercise plan between now and your wedding and it'll be fine. It's not like you're going to go out and eat a dozen donuts every day right?
28.gif
Are the photos you showed with foundation garments or just regular underwear? If only underwear, then you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how much "assistance" the proper foundation garments will give. Spanx are great!

Oh, and the lace will photograph just fine. Remember, a wedding photog is going to have much better equipment and lighting than you do in a bridal shop...It'll show up. I had an Alencon lace bolero and it showed up very well in the photos. Get the lace dress, it's magnificent! It's the only time in your life you will wear an all lace dress like that so I say go for it! The neckline...I'm torn. I prefer a straight neckline but the lace dress looks pretty perfect as is.

ETA: I just looked again and although the first dress is very pretty, like nice for a country club wedding, the second one is more ethereal, frothy (in a good way), like beautiful clouds of lace...ahhhhhh! I love that dress...

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
#2 without a question!

DO NOT TOUCH THAT NECKLINE!! (Sorry to yell but I feel very strongly!!) I think that the neckline is one of the things that makes the dress so beautiful

You look stunning in it. Good Luck!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
#2 and keep the neckline as is.

I understand your concerns about going w/ #2 because I worry about how my belly/hip area looks in ALL my clothes. But I must say the dress looks FANTASTIC on you in that photo. I can''t imagine anything could look better! It''s perfect. I bet we''d find even the "unflattering" pictures flattering. So, as long as you think you can maintain what you''ve already got, I''d go for it! If you''re going to worry yourself to death over it, then #1 is gorgeous too. I only prefer#2 by a small fraction of an inch.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
2nd one...Hands down!!

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t read all the posts yet, but No. 2!! I was actually going to ask if it was a Marisa b/c I think that''s the same one I tried on! It was runner up to the Lazaro that I ended up getting.

I still think it''s a beautiful dress and loved how flowy and romantic it looks. It was very comfortable to wear, too. If you are getting married outdoors, it''s perfect.

I do recall that the sales rep told us that the dress comes w/ either the lace in white or like an ivory color. The one I tried on was I think the white, so the lace matched the organza, like in your photo. My sister thought the ivory lace would probably stand out more, so you could maybe request a swatch of that version and see what you think if you''re worried about the lace not showing up in photos.

I do love it on you, and I don''t think you have to worry about the hip area at all! But if it does still concern you and might make you uncomfortable wearing it, maybe it''s something a seamstress could also help with? Like making that area not hug quite as closely?

Also, I like and prefer the neckline as is on you. HTH!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do we really need more votes for #2?

OK, why not. #2!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
#2 looks FANTASTIC on you! I wouldn''t change the neckline personally.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
From pictures you have posted, both dresses are very nice. As others have mentioned #1 is very classic, while #2 is more on the romantic side. Which do you see as more "you?" It is important to think of this because you have to pull off either dress and I am not just speaking in terms of how each dress fits you either. Attitude is everything and you want to wear the dress, not the other way around. Nor would it be too much fun if you are not comfortable during your wedding.

In terms of each dress, as mentioned, dress #1 is classic and seems to be more forgiving of some of the issues you mentioned in #2. However, issues you mentioned for #2 might not really be issues if you wear appropriate foundation (e.g, Spanx). Would you feel comfortable posting pictures in dress #2 you mentioned? The neckline in #2 is nice!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
#2 definitely accentuates your hips, but you have great hips, so show em off! I think you look like a knockout in that dress.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
2, and leave the neckline alone. Straight across is one of the most unflattering looks to pretty much every face shape. The rounded neck line emphisizes your curves in a good way and I suspect looks better with you face. I repeat, don''t touch it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your comments and your help with my questions, Holly, Cleopatra, marchswallowbird, julesbeth, Lanie, purrfectpear, Sabine, surfgirl, Anastasia, Fancy, miraclesrule, newbie, TravelingGal, brandy, omieluv, Guilty Pleasure, brazen_irish_hussy!

So #2 it is, and based on the opinions, I''ll probably be keeping the neckline as is.
1.gif
I was wearing regular undergarments, so I''m really glad to hear that Spanx or other foundation garments might work quite well in hiding extra curves. The wedding is about 11 months away, so I''ll have time to eat right and exercise too.

I appreciate the reassurances about how the lace will photograph. My favorite things about the dress are the lace pattern and the flowy silk organza. surfgirl, I agree about going for the lace dress! newbie, I think it was the same one you tried on too! I saw that when I did a search on PS after I found the dress--you looked fantastic in both the Lazaro and this one. On the color, I''m going to try to get some swatches before I order. omieluv, you make good points. I''d say they''re both my style, but I can see myself going more romantic for the wedding. I don''t have the photos with issues on hand right now, but yes, I hope there won''t be issues with the right foundation.

Thanks to all of you!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 2:09:46 PM
So #2 it is, and based on the opinions, I''ll probably be keeping the neckline as is.
1.gif
I was wearing regular undergarments, so I''m really glad to hear that Spanx or other foundation garments might work quite well in hiding extra curves. The wedding is about 11 months away, so I''ll have time to eat right and exercise too.
Yah
36.gif
I think this dress is perfect as is and you look stunning in it! I''m so excited for you. You''re going to be a gorgeous bride. By the way, I agree with others have posted: you look great - no tummy puch and not hippy at all. But, we''re always our own worst critics so I can appreciate your concern. Worst case scenario, you can always wear spanx on your wedding day, but again I think you look awesome as is!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 2:09:46 PM
So #2 it is, and based on the opinions, I''ll probably be keeping the neckline as is....

I appreciate the reassurances about how the lace will photograph. My favorite things about the dress are the lace pattern and the flowy silk organza. surfgirl, I agree about going for the lace dress! newbie, I think it was the same one you tried on too! I saw that when I did a search on PS after I found the dress--you looked fantastic in both the Lazaro and this one. On the color, I''m going to try to get some swatches before I order. omieluv, you make good points. I''d say they''re both my style, but I can see myself going more romantic for the wedding. I don''t have the photos with issues on hand right now, but yes, I hope there won''t be issues with the right foundation.

Thanks to all of you!
I am glad you have made a decision! Dress #2 is a fine choice and I do really like its neckline. I doubt you really have any "issues" and wearing the right foundation under the dress is essential anyway.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, I''m just kidding - #2 for sure! Looks perfect for an outdoor wedding, and looks so special!
3.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you need another vote for #2, but I will chime in anyways!

You really look fabulous in it. Your concerns about being "too hippy" or not toned enough are purely in your head and not based in reality! From the picture, at least, you could eat a few donuts and it would never cross a single mind that you could have looked better! Having more secure undergarments will make you feel more secure though.

Please post more pictures if and when you have them. :)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful but I like #2 the best!!!

Person24

Shiny_Rock

I love #2! I have to admit I am jealous. I saw a similar dress in a bridal store and really loved it. But, when I tried it on I could not pull it off. You look great in it.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Love #1 although you look amazing in #2 as well!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I think this is the most overwhelming dress vote ever. I have never seen so many votes from a vast majority (did anyone even say #1? If they did, they got lost in the sea of #2s!) for a bridal gown!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
you have a GORGEOUS figure.

that said, dress #2!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

the other one is just ho-hum to me. #2 SINGS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results