shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to two diamonds (with ideal-scope images)

dell23

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone! I've been reading on here and searching through James Allen for a few weeks now. Today I received ideal-scope images for 3 stones that I initially selected. I eliminated one already. My total budget for the ring + diamond is $3000.

My girlfriend looks for two main things in a ring: delicacy and sparkle. She loves yellow gold and prefers a well-cut, high quality diamond over a poorly-cut, larger stone. Her ring size is 5.

This setting on JA is exactly what I've been looking for (the 0.55 ct ring, specifically):
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/james-allen-exclusive-engagement-ring-item-49647

Here are the 2 stones I currently have on hold until tomorrow:

1) 0.56 ct G-VS2 ideal cut round (SKU: 550628)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550628

2) 0.56 ct G-VS2 ideal cut round (SKU: 550629)
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550629

The gemologist's report indicates that #2 performs better than #1, and the ideal-scope images seem to confirm that. I was also told that the girdle on #2 (550629) is bruted (wasn't stated on the certificate). I read on here that bruting shouldn't affect performance, but I thought I would ask just in case.

So, how do these diamonds look? Should I be concerned about the bruting?

I would be willing to restart my search, so I would love to hear any and all feedback. Thank you for being so awesome and helping people in my position.

_35157.jpg

_35158.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both nice stones (AGS000 with decent idealscopes). I would go with what the gemologist recommends.

Should make a very pretty ring. Please post pics when you get it!

dell23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll go ahead with the second diamond.

Does the natural on that stone seem troublesome at all? I can't tell from the pictures of the actual diamond where the natural is located. I downloaded the PDF of the certificate, which when zoomed in better shows the depiction of the natural. It's located on the right-hand image between 5 and 6 o'clock.

While there isn't a terrible time crunch, I would ideally have the final ring by December 1st. A JA representative recommended ordering the diamond and setting together, rather than ordering the loose stone on its own beforehand. I always imagined being able to look at the stone before having it set, but I can't tell if doing so would make a difference for me.

ags_5.jpg

dell23

Rough_Rock
Just thought I'd post one last time before ordering. Does anyone have any thoughts on the bruted girdle or the natural? Would I be better off ordering and inspecting the diamond separately or is it reasonable to order the entire ring now?

Lastly - would it be worth looking further for a diamond that has better than a "decent" ideal-scope (if that's what this is)?

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dell23|1446742809|3946034 said:
Just thought I'd post one last time before ordering. Does anyone have any thoughts on the bruted girdle or the natural? Would I be better off ordering and inspecting the diamond separately or is it reasonable to order the entire ring now?
I dont think the natural is an issue. It is on the bottom side of the stone. I cant really comment on the bruted girdle. From the little bit of looking around it doesnt seem to affect the price or what people think of it. It just is.

Lastly - would it be worth looking further for a diamond that has better than a "decent" ideal-scope (if that's what this is)?
No, these are very good. No need to worry about the idealscopes.

I would order it already set unless you have some serious issues that you think need to be checked out. You would then need to
send it back to JA to have it set.

Thanks!

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Hi!

Both stones have very nice idealscopes. The only thing I want to mention is that I was too considering a diamond with a 'natural' and was told that although it is not a colored inclusion it can hold onto dust/lint, since it is not polished smooth, and end up looking dark. Something to consider!

dell23

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for answering my questions! This really is a fantastic forum.

dell23

Rough_Rock
The ring is scheduled to arrive this week! In anticipation I've spent a lot of time staring at the diamond at 20x magnification, and I've managed to convince myself that the stone looks yellower than many other G colored stones on JA. Is that something that can be judged from this kind of image? Am I just being neurotic?

Here's a link to the diamond:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550629

Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dell23|1447627973|3950043 said:
The ring is scheduled to arrive this week! In anticipation I've spent a lot of time staring at the diamond at 20x magnification, and I've managed to convince myself that the stone looks yellower than many other G colored stones on JA. Is that something that can be judged from this kind of image? Am I just being neurotic?

Here's a link to the diamond:

Thanks!

Rest assured the color grade is what AGS says it is.
There are a zillion reasons we should not put much, if any, weight on diamond color in pics on the Internet.

dell23

Rough_Rock
Excellent! I feel reassured. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results