shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to two choices.. please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kermit

Rough_Rock
I think I have it narrowed down for the engagement ring (gulp).

Two choices. The first would seem to have better cut (H and A ACA) but worse HCA score, better color, lower weight but similar spread, lower clarity but eye clean, slightly less expensive. I''m leaning toward the first on recommendation of the consultant. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help. (Lorelei, I''m including the pictures you requested from my earlier post)

1) 0.94 ct G SI1 Whiteflash ACA
Link with pictures (I''ve got this one saved): http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982388.htm#
HCA: 1.8
Light Return: Very good
Fire: Very good
Scintallation: Very good
Spread: Very good
. Report: AGS
. Carat: 0.940
. Depth %: 60.9
. Table %: 57.5
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 14.8
. Star : 55
. Pavilion Angle: 40.9
. Pavilion %: 43.2
. Lower Girdle %: 79
. Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
. Measurements: 6.33-6.36X3.86
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

2) 1.01 ct H VS2 Round Ideal Cut
Link with pictures: http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1987239.htm
HCA: 1.4
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintallation: Excellent
Spread: Very good.
Report: AGS
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.010
. Depth %: 62.2
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 35.6
. Crown %: 15.8
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Lower Girdle %: 79
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
. Measurements: 6.39-6.42X3.98
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kermit!

For the second diamond the polish and symmetry are actually excellent per the DQR, not Ideal as on the website. That aside these are both lovely diamonds. Which one to go for? Well the ACA has the h&a and the pedigree, the Diamond Quality Document AGS0 Ideal cut grade etc and is just under the carat. The second is a very fine diamond, not quite up to the standards of the first perhaps but still a very well cut and beautiful diamond, which also tops the carat mark. So it depends if you would prefer a little smaller with the branded ACA or go a little larger with the non branded but still lovely second diamond.

Kermit

Rough_Rock

Thank you Lorelei. Despite my efforts to get up to speed on the meaning of all these specs, it''s nice to have an opinion from someone who has studied this as you seem to have.

Beyond the pedigree, I also like the G rather than H color of the first, and as small a thing as it might be, I like the fact that the diamond has the AGS number inscribed on the girdle. Although I guess I trust Whiteflash, its nice to know for sure what you are getting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 5:08:15 PM
Author: Kermit

Thank you Lorelei. Despite my efforts to get up to speed on the meaning of all these specs, it's nice to have an opinion from someone who has studied this as you seem to have.

Beyond the pedigree, I also like the G rather than H color of the first, and as small a thing as it might be, I like the fact that the diamond has the AGS number inscribed on the girdle. Although I guess I trust Whiteflash, its nice to know for sure what you are getting.

You are very welcome! I am not an expert but I have been doing this now for almost 4 years and have learned a great deal which I am very glad to share if it helps!

It seems you are leaning towards the ACA so thats the one to consider!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:41:49 PM
Author:Kermit

Two choices. The first would seem to have better cut (H and A ACA) but worse HCA score, better color, lower weight but similar spread, lower clarity but eye clean, slightly less expensive. I''m leaning toward the first on recommendation of the consultant. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help. (Lorelei, I''m including the pictures you requested from my earlier post)
Anything under 2 can be considered, the second is not scoring "better" than the first.
28.gif
And I would go for the ACA myself.

Kermit

Rough_Rock
Thanks you Ellen.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 7:29:03 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/25/2009 4:41:49 PM
Author:Kermit

Anything under 2 can be considered, the second is not scoring ''better'' than the first.
28.gif
And I would go for the ACA myself.
Yes indeed, a lower score isn''t better than a higher one, all diamonds scoring below 2 are considered equal pending further evaluation, this is done with ASET or Idealscope images etc.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome Kermit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results