shape
carat
color
clarity

down to the wire decision, need input please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robd1438

Rough_Rock
Ok, i''ve posted a few times asking for input, but i plan on making the purchase friday morning and need some last minute feedback. I already have the setting picked out at a local jeweler (not mall). Diamond #1 is also from this same jeweler and Diamond #2 is a new line ACA from whiteflash. I''ve seen #1 many times and its a real sparkler, very pretty and stunning. #2 i have yet to see, but the idealscope and sarin are amazing and it is about a .9 (EX/EX/EX/VG) on the HCA. #1 is a 2.8 (VG/VG/VG/VG) on the HCA. I will put all specs on both below. I''m leaning more towards the ACA because it seems like a better performer, however I''m curious exactly HOW much of a better performer you think it may be. The benefit of buying both from the place here is that there are more benefits such as lifetime free appraisals, cleaning, prong checks, etc. Buying from whiteflash and having it set there will just be the ring and the insurance policy, having to pay to check the prongs, have it cleaned, and appraised. I''m still leaning more towards the ACA (plus i like the diamond kit they give!), but would like as much feedback as possible with this really important purchase.

Diamond #1
AGS Cert.
AGS 000
Unbranded hearts and arrows (looked at it under H&A viewer and it looked very nice)
1.207 cts
6.79-6.81 x 4.24 mm
AGS 000 Ideal Cut
H color
VS2 clarity
Table: 55%
Crown: 34.8 degrees or 15.6%
Pavillion 41.1 degrees or 43.3%
Depth: 62.4%
Cutlet: pointed
Girdle 1.2% to 2.7%
Flourescence: inert
Price: $7150

Diamond #2 new line ACA
1.225 cts
6.96 x 4.21 mm
AGS 000 Ideal Cut - Hearts and Arrows
H color
VS1 clarity
Table: 56%
Crown: 34.6 degrees or 15.4%
Pavillion 40.7 degrees or 42.9%
Depth: 60.5%
Cutlet: pointed
Flourescence: negligible
Price: $7394

I know this is long, but i really appreciate everyone''s advice. This board has helped me alot and i never thought i''d know this much about diamonds. Thanks again!
1.gif

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Rob -

I agree with you. I would go with the ACA. Even though it is only 2 pts bigger, it will appear bigger due to its smaller depth. The way I see it, for less than $250 more you will get:
1. confidence that you have a stone that is a real good performer
2. a larger looking stone
3. a stone with better clarity

Good luck!!!!

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Rob,

HCA scores are:

Stone #1 - 2.8

Stone #2 - 0.9

It would seem with the better clarity and these scores, for the $2-300 difference, diamond #2 is the winner. Plus it's a bit larger.

Much Luck,
Charles

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Stone #2. Can't beat the ACA cut, more sparkle, more brilliance and bigger!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Rob, I'd also go with the ACA stone.

That stone actually has the EXACT same cut proportions mine ACA has - 60.5, 56, 34.6, 40.7.

The girdle on yours is slightly better than mine ... a solid medium. I'll tell you flat out.....you just cannot get better in a stone than this.

Stone #1 is just outside of AGS0 cut parameters, which would be totally fine if that were reflected in a better price on the stone......but it isn't. The $200 gets you a jump in clarity, a jump in cut, and a solid performer. If stone #1 were better priced, it might be more attractive. The difference here in price is so minimal, it's not worth it to take the lesser priced stone.

Regarding the other "perks"......you can get all those things no matter where you buy. I bought my diamond from WF, and I can walk into *any* jewelry store today and they will clean it and check my prongs for free. Hell, I've been getting free cleanings on my non-diamond jewelry for years - all you have to do is walk in an ASK. My local jeweler does this for me at NO charge - any decent jeweler worth his salt will. There is an opportunity to get your future business. The free appraisal wouldn't do much for me....you only need an appraisal every 3 years anyway, and it carries more weight from an independent appraiser anyway.

Your call ultimately, but for the very minimal difference, I'd go with the top-shelf in this instance and get the ACA.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with aljdewey :}

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/25/2004 11:19:13 PM strmrdr wrote:

I agree with aljdewey :}

----------------
Holy COW, Storm.....you've *finally* been assimilated! hehehehheeee
9.gif
I love it!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I agree on stone #2
appl.gif

Tek

Rough_Rock
Since you said it's a local jeweler for diamond #1, you would probably have to pay tax. Something to keep in mind. I will say this about the ACA stones, I drove down to Houston to check out the diamonds in person and all the ACA stones are breath taking. Simply incredible visually with fire and brillance. Honestly, I don't think can really go wrong with either, but my pick is the ACA stone.

robd1438

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I think at this point i'm heavily leaning towards the ACA. I'm expecting to get real pictures and stuff later today so i'm sure that will sway me. But i'd love to hear anyone else's input also. Thanks!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would lean heavily towards the ACA also. I'm sure stone #1 is a beautiful stone, but #2 just fine tunes a few points and should be as nice or nicer, along with slightly larger! good luck!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No brainer ... the ACA. Something else of note. In the first stone all we have are Sarin dimensions. While the ACA beats the other with regards to that alone, even if both diamonds had the *SAME* Sarin dimensions and HCA score I'd still suggest the ACA because with both an HCA and Sarin you can not determine the optical symmetry of the diamond and the precision to which it's been cut. ACA is known for this feature while the other diamond is questionable. Photographic evidence is what I like to see. Most don't realize the factor that this plays in the role of the beauty of the diamond so even if both had the same Sarin results my recommendation would still be the same.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Note that diamonds are precious because of their highly refractive and reflective properties. A badly cut diamond is useless. An OK cut diamond is tolerable, but #2 really seems well cut, and that (to me) is the only kind of diamond to bring the true meaning and elegance of a diamond's sparkle out.

Yes it's a bit more, but diamonds are a luxury, like cars. If you could get a new Mercedes sedan for $300 more than a new Lexus sedan, wouldn't you?!

#2! YAY!

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Can I be one to disagree?

The jewellers offer is very competitive and still scores a 1B on the AGA charts with scores ranging from 1A-1B. The Whiteflash stone has a diameter bigger by 2.3%, but it also cost 3.4% more. With the local jeweller you will get better future service as you mentioned. My only concern is tax which can be several hundred dollars. See if you can work out some sort of way to avoid sales tax.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Chris!

Actually when you think about it, the tax is a small price to pay for face to face, good old fashioned customer service. In a pinch and if you ever need help or there are probs with the ring it's nice to have a face to go to with whom you've dropped a few grand with.
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hummmm...... Better HCA score, AGS0 vs a 1B Cut, bigger diamond, not much difference in price,...... I'd go #2 also.

White Flash will probably be around a while to honor their lifetime upgrade policy. No spending double what you previously spent with them. Get a bigger diamond and you've upgraded. You don't have to spend $X or double the original purchase price like most B&M's require. I used the WF upgrade policy and the transaction went smooth as silk.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
On paper, I like the looks of #2.

Will the B&M set the WF stone in the setting you chose? How much will that cost?

robd1438

Rough_Rock
Yes, they'll set the WF diamond for like $25 extra. Its funny you say that #1 isn't a ideal cut though, the cert says 000 Ideal. I'm leaning towards the ACA though and just waiting for the pictures from WF.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
AGS 000 is a range, and some combinations within the ranges work better together for light reflection than other combinations. The specs of #2 look like a better combination.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 11:19:40 AM robd1438 wrote:

Yes, they'll set the WF diamond for like $25 extra. Its funny you say that #1 isn't a ideal cut though, the cert says 000 Ideal. I'm leaning towards the ACA though and just waiting for the pictures from WF. ----------------

By the Cut Chart, #1 is just a touch too deep.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results