shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to the center stone

Matthew

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thank you so much Pricescope community :) I've probably spent a good 40-50 hours here on Pricescope (and affiliated sites) over the last couple of months educating myself as best as I can, and now I'm down to the center stone selection for the engagement ring that I'm going to propose with.

The journey started out with the Tiffany Embrace, and then evolved over time to something pretty much like BHMom's or frankiextah's. The more I read, the more the process started to take hold, and I've effectively chosen Victor Canera (a real nice guy btw) to spearhead this halo for me. At least, once I decide on the center stone.

I'll detail my experience with VC as we get closer to the finished product, but so far he's been a gentleman and pleasure to deal with.

Here's what I'm considering for the center stone:
$9546 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2192341.htm
$9288 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1395812.asp
$9613 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1418797.asp

$9692 (Waiting for image+more info) - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1418796.asp

Any feedback on those loose diamonds would be greatly appreciated. For my girlfriend, I know that light performance will be important as she wants that sparkle, brilliance, polish and I guess AGS-0 really. Forgive me if I've forgotten to add anything! And thanks in advance for any help/comments/feedback that you might have. You're all gems (pun intended haha).

Matthew

Rough_Rock
Thanks farmer gal and OCgirl, trade up policy is less important for us as we'll probably keep this one forever. If anything, we'll get another new "project" altogether, when that time comes.

So a medium blue fluor actually looks whiter to the eye? Interesting. I didn't know that. I might try looking for more of those then.

I know there are many threads here about hearts and arrows vs ideal, with pros and cons for both, but I'm still a bit lost as to which way to lean towards. Never knew there were so many variables!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
medium blue fluor will only be apparent in lighting with UV component such as sunlight.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Flouro is an interesting and very pretty quality in a diamond, but, in my experience with it, it doesn't "whiten" the diamond's color. Medium blue fluoro might not be strong enough to have much of a "blue" effect in UV light anyway. If your future fiancee is okay with an I color, the BDG diamond is nice. The second one FarmerGal linked (Expert Selection from WF) has a fair amount of light leakage in the center of the stone -- look at the IS and ASET. The first WF stone you linked has a much better cut, and H/VS1 is a nice combination. The first JA stone (True Hearts) appears to be better cut than the WF Expert selection.

My choices in order would be:
WF ACA H/VS1
JA True Hearts
BGD Blue (if okay with an I color)

ETA: Have you put any of these on hold? You might want to if you are seriously considering these stones. It's easy to put a stone on hold; just contact the vendor. You don't want to lose the stone if a lurker on this site buys it while you're making a decision on it.

Matthew

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for pointing that out Lula! I didn't even think about placing them on hold (or some lurker stealing those away).

I'm definitely leaning towards the WF H/VS1 - although I am quite curious about the JA 1.15 H/VS2. But I dealt with a super nice lady when I called in for the WF so that's swaying me a bit too ;-)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
both look good.

Matthew

Rough_Rock
Thanks for commenting slg47 and frankiextah (you have such a beautiful ring - I've read all your threads detailing your journey), I know my gf felt compelled towards a G or H (as opposed to an I), so I'm prioritizing that one for sure.

I actually just got off the phone with JA about why that G (a few posts back) was less expensive than the H (the first JA link I posted in my original post), even though both were very similar, and after both of us being stumped for about 10 mins, his colleague clued in on the fact that there was a "cloudy" clue on the G's report. So there could be many small clouds that didn't show up on the VS2 rating/image on the report - interesting story of the day!

But back to the main decision, I'd have to say I'm still leaning towards that WF H/VS1, hmmm.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Matthew|1316584491|3021969 said:
Thanks for commenting slg47 and frankiextah (you have such a beautiful ring - I've read all your threads detailing your journey), I know my gf felt compelled towards a G or H (as opposed to an I), so I'm prioritizing that one for sure.

I actually just got off the phone with JA about why that G (a few posts back) was less expensive than the H (the first JA link I posted in my original post), even though both were very similar, and after both of us being stumped for about 10 mins, his colleague clued in on the fact that there was a "cloudy" clue on the G's report. So there could be many small clouds that didn't show up on the VS2 rating/image on the report - interesting story of the day!

But back to the main decision, I'd have to say I'm still leaning towards that WF H/VS1, hmmm.

Hi, Matthew -- I see that the WF stone is marked "Reserved." Was that you who reserved it? You were wise to check in with JA about the G VS2. "Clarity grade based on clouds not shown" is a red flag that always needs further investigation, specifically an in-person assessment. JA did right by you :) That's why it's so important to buy from a vendor who actually visually inspects the stone for you, as the online vendors recommended here do. So is it down to the H JA stone and the H WF stone?

Matthew

Rough_Rock
Yes Lula, your point about lurkers got me on the phone right away to WF and JA haha. Based on the reports, and comparing the top 2 you recommended, I'm thinking the WF. But I'm still curious about the 1.15 JA that I'm waiting on the image for. The report looks good for that one and it's a very recent diamond.

I couldn't help but notice the dating of the reports as well, and the fact that the WF one was dated Sept 2009 - does that mean the diamond has been on the market for that long? That's quite awhile, 2 years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results