shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to 3 diamonds for yellow gold ring--advice please!

Rainsun

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am very excited to post my first topic here. I have studied for a week. Now 3 candidates are waiting for my YELLOW GOLD engagement ring, my very first diamond ring :love: . It's a tough call for me. Some advice, any advice please!

All are RB, GIA certified, and within my budget.

Diamond 1:
Carat weight: 1.23
Cut: Very Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet:
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 6.83*6.87*4.21
crown angle: 36%
pavilion angle: 40.2%
HCA : 1
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1381117.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Diamond 2: (this is a trade-in diamond certified in 2007)
Carat weight: 1.25
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Very thin to thick
Culet:
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.86*6.91*4.24
crown angle: 32.5%
pavilion angle: 41%
HCA : 0.9
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1263866.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Diamond 3:
Cut: Excellent
Color: K
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56.0%
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: M - M
Culet:
Measurements: 6.90*6.95*4.26
crown angle: 34.5%
pavilion angle: 40.8%
HCA : 1.3
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1396514.asp

I already hold them and asked for IS image and hope to receive them soon.
My concern for first one is the small cavity (is this an issue under table?). Second diamond has dangerous "very thin to thick" girdle and it's a trade-in diamond, so I wonder if there is any wear-off. The last one has K color. I am worried K @ 1.25 carat will be too obviously yellow, even if with a yellow gold setting.

I will wait for your opinion. :read:

Many thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainsun|1316199326|3018984 said:
Hi everyone,

I am very excited to post my first topic here. I have studied for a week. Now 3 candidates are waiting for my YELLOW GOLD engagement ring, my very first diamond ring :love: . It's a tough call for me. Some advice, any advice please!

All are RB, GIA certified, and within my budget.

Diamond 1:
Carat weight: 1.23
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 58.0%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet:
Measurements: 6.83*6.87*4.21
crown angle: 36%
pavilion angle: 40.2%
HCA : 1
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1381117.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
No, overly shallow pav will cause overobstruction - can see it even in the still photo on JAs website
http://www.screencast.com/users/Pricescope/folders/Default/media/64f27d25-9e00-4e29-96e3-e43ebed12a60

Diamond 2: (this is a trade-in diamond certified in 2007)
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Very thin to thick
Culet:
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.86*6.91*4.24
crown angle: 32.5%
pavilion angle: 41%
HCA : 0.9
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1263866.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Again, not my pick.

Facet patterning should make it very *bright* - likely visibly less coloured light return in some lighting environments than stones w/ other proportions of same size, though, to the observant eye. Depending on how much of the girdle is vthin (and whether it's vthin almost ex-thin razor-edge, or vthin just-this-side-of-thin), and how you're planning to set it, and whether you're careful with your jewellery in general... shallow crown + overly thin girdle raises an automatic "chipping risk" flag for me. Definitely something to have a conversation w/ JA about.

The girdle variance may or may not bother you. You can see the optical symmetry is not very high in the photo, girdle thickness is afterall one measure of where and how crown & pavilion facets physically meet, but if the girdle is just-that-side-of-slightly-thick and you don't find it unslightly IRL...

What does your rep say? He/she has the stone in-hand, so he/she can judge better than we can blindly.

Diamond 3:
Cut: Excellent
Color: K
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56.0%
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: M - M
Culet:
Measurements: 6.90*6.95*4.26
crown angle: 34.5%
pavilion angle: 40.8%
HCA : 1.3
link: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1396514.asp

My preference, hands down. The small downgrade in colour is far preferable in my eyes to the uncertainties $ concerns w/ #2, even more so since you're setting it in YG. Best way to find out if the colour is okay to your eyes is to have the loose stone shipped out to you to inspect prior to setting - I strongly recommend this. When you get it be sure to look at it in different types of lights - spotlights, diffuse office lights, sunlight, outside on a cloudy day... see how you feel about it in a variety of daily conditions.

I already hold them and asked for IS image and hope to receive them soon.
My concern for first one is the small cavity (is this an issue under table?).
Not in a VS of this size - and it's not the grade-making inclusion anyway. GIA/AGS list inclusions from most to least "severe" as viewed under a 10x loupe.

Second diamond has dangerous "very thin to thick" girdle and it's a trade-in diamond, so I wonder if there is any wear-off. The last one has K color. I am worried K @ 1.25 carat will be too obviously yellow, even if with a yellow gold setting.

I will wait for your opinion. :read:

Many thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Yssie, but I would suggest looking for a stone just under the 1.20 ct mark to upgrade color instead.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I'm not the expert that many people here are, but to my eyes I think the third is the prettiest - the inclusions in the centers of the first two would drive me nuts

Rainsun

Rough_Rock
Re: Down to 3 diamonds for yellow gold ring--updated!

Thanks for expert Yssie, Dreamer_D and mjertl!

I just received gemologist' opinion and three IS images. Let me update information then.

"I have great news, our gemologist has inspected your diamonds and all of them have great fire and brilliance and face perfectly eye clean. Of you selections, diamond No.2 has the highest J color performance and will have the least color of the bunch. Since all three diamonds have comparable light performance, this one will be your best option based on how well its J color performs. Additionally, the gemologist commented that it will look great in a yellow gold setting and that she believes diamonds with a J or K color grading look best mounted in a yellow gold setting compared to a white metal. Diamonds No.1 and No.3 are also nice, bright, eye clean options but the gemologist favored diamond No.2 because of its higher color and cleaner clarity. Diamond No.2 will give you a fantastic sparkle and look beautiful in any setting. It is our gemologist's favorite and I believe you'll be very pleased with it when you see it in person."

My understanding from the IS images is that No.2 is not influenced by the uneven girdle that much. Or I am not right?

Is there any cons to buy a trade-in stone?

No.1--1381117id.jpg

No.2--1263866id.jpg

No.3--1396514id.jpg

Rainsun

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1316204759|3019049 said:
Rainsun|1316199326|3018984 said:
Facet patterning should make it very *bright* - likely visibly less coloured light return in some lighting environments than stones w/ other proportions of same size, though, to the observant eye. Depending on how much of the girdle is vthin (and whether it's vthin almost ex-thin razor-edge, or vthin just-this-side-of-thin), and how you're planning to set it, and whether you're careful with your jewellery in general... shallow crown + overly thin girdle raises an automatic "chipping risk" flag for me. Definitely something to have a conversation w/ JA about.

The girdle variance may or may not bother you. You can see the optical symmetry is not very high in the photo, girdle thickness is afterall one measure of where and how crown & pavilion facets physically meet, but if the girdle is just-that-side-of-slightly-thick and you don't find it unslightly IRL...

What does your rep say? He/she has the stone in-hand, so he/she can judge better than we can blindly.

I do understand your points. I asked JA for another round of gemologist review on girdle, as well as No.3's K color.

Thanks a million.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Down to 3 diamonds for yellow gold ring--updated!

Rainsun|1316230181|3019294 said:
Thanks for expert Yssie, Dreamer_D and mjertl!

I just received gemologist' opinion and three IS images. Let me update information then.

"I have great news, our gemologist has inspected your diamonds and all of them have great fire and brilliance and face perfectly eye clean. Of you selections, diamond No.2 has the highest J color performance and will have the least color of the bunch. Since all three diamonds have comparable light performance, this one will be your best option based on how well its J color performs. Additionally, the gemologist commented that it will look great in a yellow gold setting and that she believes diamonds with a J or K color grading look best mounted in a yellow gold setting compared to a white metal. Diamonds No.1 and No.3 are also nice, bright, eye clean options but the gemologist favored diamond No.2 because of its higher color and cleaner clarity. Diamond No.2 will give you a fantastic sparkle and look beautiful in any setting. It is our gemologist's favorite and I believe you'll be very pleased with it when you see it in person."

My understanding from the IS images is that No.2 is not influenced by the uneven girdle that much. Or I am not right?

Is there any cons to buy a trade-in stone?

Nothing wrong w/ the IS esp if you are not looking for a stone w/ high optical symmetry. The lower optical symmetry should in fact make it look even brighter, since you'll have a larger number of smaller virtual facets...

I don't see anything in that review about whether vthn girdle is a concern w/ the crown, ask specifically.

Trade in concerns are that the stone does not match the condition stated on the authority's report (GIA/AGS) - that careless wear, botched setting jobs have left their marks - scratches, nicks, chips, etc. I would have JA inspect for this specifically, then have the final ring appraised to confirm, if you want to double check you can arrange to have the loose stone appraised as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results