shape
carat
color
clarity

Dounts after Ring Purchase and Indepedent Appraisal just received

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Hi. I got some great responses from my previous post confirming the purchase of my 3 stone diamond ring. I got the independent appraisal today and the value is fine, but the grading differs from the store''s appraisal. Here are the specs on the ring one more time:

Center stone
Round Brilliant
GIA Certified
1.03 carats
VS2I
59.1 depth
62 table
Symmetry Very Good
Polish Very Good
No Florescence

2 Side stones
Round Brilliant (uncertified)
VS1 G/H
.38 each

The ring is in a platinum setting and we paid about $6000 plus tax. The dealer appraised the ring for $11,200.

Now, here is how the independent appraisal came out. The center stone matched perfectly, not surprising with the GIA cert. However, one of the side stones was graded SI1 and the other an SI2. This to me seems like a significant downgrade from the stores VS1.

On the positive side, this independent appraiser who I knew upfront would not inflate the appraisal like many do and who is GIA certified appraised the ring for $7700. He was surprised I paid only $6000, as he claims most of his appraisals come in at close to the purchase price.

Nevertheless, I am disturbed about the side stones grading so low, yet the most important stone is the center stone with matched perfectly. All in all, I believe I got a good deal.

For those reading this for the first time, this local jewelrer attempted to match a ring I was about to purchase from Costco, who as many know guarantee a grade VS2 I or better. They designed the ring exactly as was pictured on the Costco.com. I got better in color, yet lower on clarity. Also, they gave me somewhat larger stones, as Costco ring was 1 ct in the middle and .33 on the sides. I ended up with 1.03 in the middle and .38 on the sides, so I look at it as kind of a wash. Are these appraisal grading differences common and should I address the jewelry store with this and demand that they replace the stones with the quality they promised? After all, I still paid about $1700 under retail. I love my ring and know the the visual difference between the SI 1/2 and VS1 I will not be significant because of their sizes. The dealer only will give me store credit. I wonder if I should have stayed with Costco for their promised ideal cuts and guaranteed quality.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You say 'I love my ring'....then stop worrying. If you love your ring, who cares if the side stones were appraised at SI? Can you see inclusions? If you can only get store credit, is it worth the fight.... for what?? A few hundred bucks store credit?

Wondering now about what could have been will only cause you angst and eventually ruin the happiness you feel for your new ring. Coulda woulda shoulda...you love what you have now, stop thinking about what you could have had and enjoy wha you DO have.

Happens to the best of us!! There are tons of stones out there and settings as well. You will almost always run across something else that seems like a better deal, better cut, more striking setting etc. Your tastes will most likely change in the future as well anyway. Just chalk it up to a learning experience, be happy your center stone matches as that is the big ticket...and be happy that you love your ring. In the end that's all that matters...your eye does not distinguish SI and VS..only that it looks beautiful...
1.gif

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
You are right. I love the ring and that is all that matters, and this has been a learning experience. I just wanted to post the results of the appraisal and see if the grading difference was worth even bringing up to the dealer. Thank you for your feedback.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I wholeheartedly second Mara's input here. What's the point of going through that? You love the ring, the stones are small enough that the clarity doesn't have any visual impact.......why bother?

You got a spectacular deal on the ring, so it's not like you got taken for extra money based on the inflated clarity.

Let sleeping dogs lie and enjoy your beautiful ring.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
When all the grading and judging is done
The final analysis depends on just ONE

If you "love your ring" as you say you do
The ONLY apprasal that counts is YOU!

Enjoy!
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what the others say. In a stone this size the price difference on the side stones are a few hundred dollars. Also, in a stone this size, you more than likely will not see any inclusions.

Congrats on your purchase. We'd love to see pics!

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all again. I will try to get pics in the next couple of days.

homeloanmaster

Rough_Rock
Here is a photo. I took it with the still picture function of our video camera, so the quality is not the best.

DSC00160.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results